Passport info

susan1957

That's cutting it very close- I wouldn't have risked it. Some countries insist that the passport must not expire within 6 months of the date of entry, but I've never heard of someone being refused boarding on a cruise ship as long as the passport is still good.

Hoping good things for your friend.

My friend is going on a cruise next week...Her passport doesn't expire until 3 days after she comes off her cruise. She will ok, right?

I would think so, but maybe call Carnival to be sure. I guess if the cruise was delayed getting back for some reason then it could be an issue, rare but it happens. Also it maybe wouldn't be a bad idea to take the birth certificate as well since that along with drivers license is all that's really necessary. Then she's covered either way.

Sounds like my husband and me. 10 1/2 years ago, we both applied for our passports at the same time. However, he received his a week before I did. As a result, his passport expires while on our next cruise, while mine doesn't expire until after the cruise.

Needless to say, he is renewing before the cruise. And I will renew as well.

Cruise wants 6 months left on your passport. May have trouble. Make sure you have your birth certificate with them

Carnival may "want" you to have 6 months on the passport, but it's not a requirement. Carnival states only that they "highly recommend" you have a passport valid for 6 months beyond the dates of travel, but does not require it.

A passport is a valid until the date of expiration. Some countries require a passport be valid for 6 months beyond the date of travel, but that's not an issue in countries on what I assume is a Caribbean cruise.

Unless your friend is going to someplace like Ireland or Venezuela, she will be fine with the passport, but if she wants the extra re-assurance, she can always take her certified birth certificate too.

So many comments that did not answer the question.

Yes, she will be fine, in the Caribbean on Carnival.

As noted, passports are not required for US citizens on closed loop cruises in the Caribbean. Birth certificate and photo ID is the minimum required.

So having a valid passport (which she does) is above and beyond the minimum requirements.

unless she has to leave the ship for some emergency, than you are in big poop. I understand a closed end loop does not require a passport. You will need picture ID to get back on the ship at every port. I personally would never step off U.S. soil without a valid passport with at least 6 months left on it. IMHO. This is why they are called accidents, not on purposes

My friend is going on a cruise next week...Her passport doesn't expire until 3 days after she comes off her cruise. She will ok, right?

Not a problem with a closed loop cruise. Just advise your friend to bring the BC and DL if she can.

I can't lay my finger on it at the moment, but it seems I saw something that said the passport needed to be more than 6 months away from expiration. I wonder if it was within the booking where you put in all your detailed info. I don't have anything booked right now or I would look and see.

There are several Caribbean countries that require you to have at least six months left on your passport in order to visit them even on a closed loop cruise. It would be a good idea to check and see if your port is one of those.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Forums mobile app

What countries REQUIRE a passport? I've been on a few closed loop cruises and doing another later this year...and always gotten by with a BC / DL combo....

There are several Caribbean countries that require you to have at least six months left on your passport in order to visit them even on a closed loop cruise. It would be a good idea to check and see if your port is one of those.

Please specify which countries and cite an authoritative source.

And remember, 'in transit' cruise passengers have a completely different status than tourists who are visiting for a period of time.

She is not traveling by air to stay on an island. Assuming she is a US citizen traveling on a closed loop Caribbean cruise (aka, all she needs is a birth certificate), I can't see how the 6 month requirement could come into it. You can't require time left on a non-required document! She should be fine. The passport is just there to prove identity and US citizenship.

It wouldn't hurt to bring a birth certificate though to be on the safe side.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The bottom line is that your friend WILL be able to cruise with a passport that doesn't expire until after her return.

Here are a few statements that have been made which should be clarified once and for all:

1. "Carnival FAQs recommend that the passport is good for 6 months after your cruise"

This is a true statement, but a "recommendation" is not a "requirement". CCL does NOT require a passport be valid for 6 months after the cruise.

2. "There are several Caribbean countries that require you to have at least six months left on your passport in order to visit them even on a closed loop cruise."

The first part of this statement is true (e.g. see State Dept.'s Bureau of Consular Affairs info on Honduras: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/honduras.html)

BUT, the second part of the statement is not. Traveling on a cruise is different than traveling by air and you will be allowed to enter a Caribbean country with this requirement on a closed loop cruise using a valid U.S. passport with any length of validity.

3. "It wouldn't hurt to bring a birth certificate though to be on the safe side."

This is a true statement, but your friend is not required to bring a BC if she doesn't have one. Her VALID passport is all that she has to bring to prove her identify and citizenship.

I have only been on 18 cruises, but have never had to show my passport to anyone after boarding the ship.

When entering any of the ports all that was needed was ID and sign and sail card.

I leave my passport in the safe in my room. I should carry it, just in case, but never have.

It seems like most people are pointing you in the right direction. I just wanted to clarify on why it is highly recommended by the cruise lines and most travel agents to have a passport valid for 6 months or more after the dates of travel.

Since your friend's passport expires only 3 days after the trip, she could run in to problems if she doesn't get back to the ship in time at one of the ports or has an emergency back home. Even though not all countries require your passport to be valid for 6 months, some have lower requirements like 3 months that would still not work in your circumstance. So in that situation, she wouldn't be able to fly home or catch the ship in the next port. There is a website where you can check each country to see the requirements. It is travel.state.gov

So basically the worst case scenario is she will be allowed on the ship, but she may have to get an emergency passport if she needs to fly out of one of the countries she visits. A lot of people take the same risk with just taking their birth certificates and ID or a passport card. Of course the chance of something happening is rare, but this is the reason many people use their passports in the first place.

It seems like most people are pointing you in the right direction. I just wanted to clarify on why it is highly recommended by the cruise lines and most travel agents to have a passport valid for 6 months or more after the dates of travel.

Since your friend's passport expires only 3 days after the trip' date=' she could run in to problems if she doesn't get back to the ship in time at one of the ports or has an emergency back home. Even though not all countries require your passport to be valid for 6 months, some have lower requirements like 3 months that would still not work in your circumstance. So in that situation, she wouldn't be able to fly home or catch the ship in the next port. There is a website where you can check each country to see the requirements. It is travel.state.gov

So basically the worst case scenario is she will be allowed on the ship, but she may have to get an emergency passport if she needs to fly out of one of the countries she visits. A lot of people take the same risk with just taking their birth certificates and ID or a passport card. Of course the chance of something happening is rare, but this is the reason many people use their passports in the first place.[/quote']

No, the country she is in isn't going to keep her because her passport expires soon and she'll have no trouble boarding a flight to return to the US (she could conceivably have an issue if she were trying to meet up with the ship and that island had a passport expiration requirement).

OP, your friend will have no issues boarding with her passport.