Princess Pricing Strategy

Josie2

Although Platinum status on Princess, we have not sailed Princess for several years, our last dozen or more cruises have been on Celebrity. However, we now have two booked on the Grand Princess - primarily due to itineraries we wanted.

One is a 15 day SFO-Hawaii return route (we did this same cruise 10 years ago from LA). That is in October this year. I booked it late in 2016, got the all inclusive beverage package, and the price has only increased since then, to about $600 pp more than what we paid, with no beverage package. I understand demand for Hawaii cruises is likely quite high, and these prices will likely continue to increase.

The other is a 10 day Mexican Riveria in March 2018. I just booked this last week. I obviously figured it was a decent deal, and it qualified under the Anniversary Sale for $400 OBC and a free specialty dining. On Monday, the price had gone down by $400 for the cabin. I called and had no problem getting the new price, same perks. On Tuesday, I saw the price had gone down another $400 for the cabin, so I will call this morning to secure the new price.

I'm not complaining, and I don't mind monitoring prices myself on an almost daily basis - but am just wondering if recent experienced Princess cruisers have any insight as to how Princess sets/adjusts prices - I am surprised to see two relatively significant price drops, in two days, on a cruise thats more than a year out.

BTW - of course, absolutely no problem getting Princess to adjust the price on my first call, and I would assume the same result today. Just trying to get some tips on what to watch for and perhaps when.

Any insight welcome .... thanks.

Although Platinum status on Princess, we have not sailed Princess for several years, our last dozen or more cruises have been on Celebrity. However, we now have two booked on the Grand Princess - primarily due to itineraries we wanted.

One is a 15 day SFO-Hawaii return route (we did this same cruise 10 years ago from LA). That is in October this year. I booked it late in 2016, got the all inclusive beverage package, and the price has only increased since then, to about $600 pp more than what we paid, with no beverage package. I understand demand for Hawaii cruises is likely quite high, and these prices will likely continue to increase.

The other is a 10 day Mexican Riveria in March 2018. I just booked this last week. I obviously figured it was a decent deal, and it qualified under the Anniversary Sale for $400 OBC and a free specialty dining. On Monday, the price had gone down by $400 for the cabin. I called and had no problem getting the new price, same perks. On Tuesday, I saw the price had gone down another $400 for the cabin, so I will call this morning to secure the new price.

I'm not complaining, and I don't mind monitoring prices myself on an almost daily basis - but am just wondering if recent experienced Princess cruisers have any insight as to how Princess sets/adjusts prices - I am surprised to see two relatively significant price drops, in two days, on a cruise thats more than a year out.

BTW - of course, absolutely no problem getting Princess to adjust the price on my first call, and I would assume the same result today. Just trying to get some tips on what to watch for and perhaps when.

Any insight welcome .... thanks.

Just one of those advantages our cousins in the US and Canada have over us poor Brits, is if we in the UK try to get a price drop then we only get one chance and even that costs us a £100 up front charge to do so. Fair "Not":mad:

Just an update that I had no problem getting the price reduction today. No change in the perks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Could it be because the same promo is in effect? I'm betting it'll be different if you try to get another price reduction after February 28th when the anniversary sale ends.

Yes it's the same sale. As I noted I only booked it last week. My questions were really more about two significant price drops in five days on a cruise that more than a year away.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just one of those advantages our cousins in the US and Canada have over us poor Brits, is if we in the UK try to get a price drop then we only get one chance and even that costs us a £100 up front charge to do so. Fair "Not":mad:

I know offers very from country to county (US seem to have more sales with more perks than UK) but we're UK based, book direct with Princess and haven't had a problem re-faring a cruise, more than once or paid a fee to do so. Re-fared our Alaska cruise at least twice that I remember and only recently re-fared our TA, even got to keep perks I thought we'd lose (advertised offer had changed) - BONUS!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes it's the same sale. As I noted I only booked it last week. My questions were really more about two significant price drops in five days on a cruise that more than a year away.

What you experience is relatively rare. (two significant price drops in five days on a cruise that more than a year away)

That far out the cruise could not have been selling that poorly that such reductions were needed.

In most cases the pricing is not going to change much (up or down) although the amenities that are offered may change and thus affect the actual total cost of the cruise. If a cruise is selling very well, the price will go up.

I have a b2b cruise on another cruise line that was booked over a year in advance.

For the first segment the price went down $75/person four days after I booked it and I was refared. Since then it has gone up $300 a person.

For the second segment, the price did not go down since I booked it, but instead has gone up by $500 a person.

I've tracked prices on cruises I've been interested in and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the pricing.

I've seen cruises that are nearly booked out close to sail date drop in price, and others who have more cabins available where the price has gone up substantially in the final few weeks.

I have a cruise booked (using an FCD) for March 2018 which I have already re-fared twice, and with a bit of luck it will drop again over the next year. When I re-fared it the other day I expected to lose some perks but, no, I got to keep those and in fact the OBC actually increased.

Keep watching for new promos. When one ends another usually starts. Compare net pricing which includes fare minus OBC and other promotional incentives. If the new promo is to your net advantage you can re-fare. You will get the new fare plus the new incentives, but will lose the old promo.

Algorithms for cruise fares are kept in a big vault beside the big vault that has the algorithms for airfares.

Guarded by big dogs, wildcats, snakes and other unpleasant creatures.

Agreed. Don't forget the one eyed cyclops also. :D