Dress code for dining on Princess Coral in Alaska

Drebbie

Just looking for a few pointers on the dining room dress options/requirements for dinners. How formal or smart casual? I've heard that Alaska is a bit more relaxed. Any pointers for this (or any aspect of the cruise) would be appreciated. :confused:

Many people will say that formal dress is required in the DR or you should resort to eating at the Specialty restaurant or buffet but it's not an actual mandatory requirement to dress up.

For the guys dress pants/Dockers & a dress shirt are all that's really required while the women can wear a pair of black slacks with any dressy top.

Just looking for a few pointers on the dining room dress options/requirements for dinners. How formal or smart casual? I've heard that Alaska is a bit more relaxed. Any pointers for this (or any aspect of the cruise) would be appreciated. :confused:

Have you looked at the Princess website?

AK is indeed less formal. The residents of AK wear mostly outdoor clothing since that is where they live. It spills over onto the ship as well. Quite a few pax will be from the west coast where they don't dress nearly as formal as the east coast. Men need only a pair of dockers and a button shirt while ladies wear a dark pair of slacks and a sparkly shirt. If you like wilderness, AK is the place to be in the USA. We will be embarking on the Ruby for our 4th AK cruise and 2nd on a RT out of Seattle.

Did this cruise on the Coral a couple of years ago and were really surprised by the number of women in long gowns, men in tux or dark suit on formal nights.A lot of people on our cruise had done extensive land travel before/after the cruise but all were dressed smart casual in the evening. The advice on here at the time, seemed to be that Alaskan cruises were more casual but our Coral Princess cruise certainly wasn't one of them.

I wish that, way back, someone had thought to start a counter so we could know how many (800 bazillion maybe?) different times a thread asking if Alaska cruises had a "more relaxed" dress code than other cruises.

Princess has one dress code for all cruises and posts it prominently on their web site.

OP: I'm sorry to sound so rude. It's not you, it's me. I simply don't understand why this rumor is so persistent. Follow what is posted on the Princess web site or don't. It's really that simple.

From the Princess Cruise FAQ:

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

I wish that, way back, someone had thought to start a counter so we could know how many (800 bazillion maybe?) different times a thread asking if Alaska cruises had a "more relaxed" dress code than other cruises.

Princess has one dress code for all cruises and posts it prominently on their web site.

OP: I'm sorry to sound so rude. It's not you, it's me. I simply don't understand why this rumor is so persistent. Follow what is posted on the Princess web site or don't. It's really that simple.

From the Princess Cruise FAQ

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

It not so much as a rumor but when people are faced with what clothing is more important on a cold weather cruise, the formal clothing which isn't a true requirement will be but aside first.

When it all boils down to what extras to carry & which to eliminate the more important items like a heavy sweater & rain gear will will out in the long run.

For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes

(or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring

an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse.

That has been our experience on Alaska cruises with many men just wearing a dress shirt and slacks or dockers and of course women can pretty much wear whatever they want and it seems to meet the recommendations. Tuxes and gowns on Alaska cruises are not the really the norm.....but many here on CC will make it sound like you go to "fashion police jail" if you do not adhere to the SUGGESTED Princess dress code which Princess does not really enforce strictly IMHO either!!! :):)

Blame Delta, American, and United Airlines. They charge so much for extra baggage. If they were like Southwest who does not charge for baggage; then you can carry suits, gowns, dress shoes etc; plus all the regular Alaska clothes; such as winter coat; hat, gloves, rain gear etc. Southwest does not fly from or near my city; so I limit my baggage packing.

The rumor about a relaxed dress code seems to be perpetuated by posters who don't like to "dress up" or choose to ignore the attire recommendations of Princess because they don't want to be bothered to pack a few pieces of a nicer clothing for formal nights. Tuxes and ball gowns are not required to be in compliance with the recommendations.

As you stated, the recommendations don't change, depending on the itinerary. No matter what part of the world one's cruise is in, in my experience, formal nights are, for the majority of passengers, a chance to dress up a bit ... sometimes a lot ... and strut their stuff. And the aura of the entire ship is definitely more festive.

And for all those that do not read the policy posted on the Princess website, this is the sign that was posted at the entrance to the MDR's on Coral Princess last year. Not sure if the picture I attached will be included, so let me quote:

DRESS CODE

Formal: A dinner jacket or dark business suit for gentlemen and a full length evening gown, cocktail dresses or trouser suit for ladies.

Smart Casual: An open-neck shirt and slacks for gentlemen and a dress, skirt and blouse or trouser suit outfit for ladies.

Shorts and T-Shirts are not permitted in the Dining Rooms at Dinner

Now I picked that sign up, examined it in bright lighting on both sides, and used a magnifying glass to see if there was any fine print with exceptions. I could find none.

But it FINALLY came to me, why there are "others" that just don't think the policy applies to them.

ALL of us who respectfully follow this policy have been missing what's been staring us right in the face all along (and I don't mean the hairy legs on the man in shorts at the next table.)

The policy ONLY APPLIES to:

"LADIES" & "GENTLEMEN"

IMG_1193.JPG.f7908090b044e33c033df436860a2e56.JPG

The rumor about a relaxed dress code seems to be perpetuated by posters who don't like to "dress up" or choose to ignore the attire recommendations of Princess because they don't want to be bothered to pack a few pieces of a nicer clothing for formal nights. Tuxes and ball gowns are not required to be in compliance with the recommendations.

As you stated, the recommendations don't change, depending on the itinerary. No matter what part of the world one's cruise is in, in my experience, formal nights are, for the majority of passengers, a chance to dress up a bit ... sometimes a lot ... and strut their stuff. And the aura of the entire ship is definitely more festive.

The area that seems to be perpetuated is that relaxed dress on AK cruises is a rumor. In actual fact it is not a rumor ad anyone who has taken the cruise can see. As you say it is "a chance to dress up a bit..." Some do not care to take that chance or see rhe necessity to show off to others around them.

The airlines baggage restrictions and prices for them have set limitations on what a cruiser may bring with them. I can think of many other items to bring on a cruise that can replace the weight of a tux or suit along with shoes in my luggage. Not everyone can afford the luxury of paying for multiple bags to bring specialty clothing for just a few dining hours.

Also the enforcement of the GUIDELINES is entirely up to the venue. They have chosen, despite what many want, to not enforce them to the letter of what is written. They also contradict themselves in their rules in other areas of their guidelines, which some fail to mention on these type of threads. Usually the OP question is answered within the first two or three replies. All the rest are only efforts to force other poster to agrre with them

Edited by Potstech

Dress code threads are like death and taxes.....They are inevitable. Even though Celebrity has eliminated formal nights members on that board will try to convince you that they see many in gowns and tuxedos. This must have something to do with the free flowing booze because I didn't see that even when they had formal nights. CC Members will try to persuade you towards their style of dress so that they won't feel out numbered. On my first Princess cruise back in 1991 there was a couple from Alaska seated at our table. Every night including the 2 formal nights and the 2 semiformal nights they would show up, she would be wearing a sundress which leaned towards a house dress and he would be wearing a flannel shirt and jeans. This was on a Caribbean cruise. The Mater'd must have let them in before the doors opened because they were always seated at the table before everyone else entered. We were traveling with my BIL and SIL and it was just the 6 of us at the table. We couldn't care less how they were dressed.

None of this really helps,us...we are flying over from UK and doing a Rocky Mountain tour prior to cruise. Our t/a assures us that the men do not need a suit for formal night just a smart pair of trousers and shirt. I am now really confused. We are used to Cunard whom are quite strict regarding dress in the MDR. I agree it is easy for us ladies as we can dress up even the most plainest of trousers or skirts. I just want to know what to pack for him!

None of this really helps,us...we are flying over from UK and doing a Rocky Mountain tour prior to cruise. Our t/a assures us that the men do not need a suit for formal night just a smart pair of trousers and shirt. I am now really confused. We are used to Cunard whom are quite strict regarding dress in the MDR. I agree it is easy for us ladies as we can dress up even the most plainest of trousers or skirts. I just want to know what to pack for him!

Stick a couple lightweight ties in your luggage and you'll be good to go. :)

Have a Great Holiday!!

People run the gamete on what they wear on formal nights.

Your husband will not be turned away from the dining room in trousers a shirt. Sometimes men choose not to wear their jackets, it can be too hot right? or they take off their ties too. As long as he is comfortable in what he's wearing, and you are following your TA's recommendation, you should be fine.

I have seen people turned away from the MDR on smart casual nights and I've seen that practice be subjective, on the same night.

As you mention, us ladies have it easier. We can dress most things up. It's the men that become the concern (to the significant others). I believe if you follow your TA's advice you will be fine.

Just go by the daily patter & the dress codes will be in it. Smart casual is pretty much slacks & collared shirt. Formal is dress shirt nice slacks all the way up to tux & gown. Pretty much your choice. Enforcement seems to be up to the Maître D. There are those who will say dress as casual as you wish. If that WAS the case, why would there be a dress code. The dress code is pretty much just for the MDR. Smart casual is the norm everywhere else. Shorts are the only thing NOT permitted in the MDR Specialty rest. at night. Shorts are allowed in the theaters etc.(nice shorts, not bathing trunks)

A nice collared shirt & nice slacks & perhaps a sport coat will pass muster. He can try a nice vest(waist coat) if he wishes.

Dress code threads are like death and taxes.....They are inevitable. Even though Celebrity has eliminated formal nights members on that board will try to convince you that they see many in gowns and tuxedos. This must have something to do with the free flowing booze because I didn't see that even when they had formal nights. CC Members will try to persuade you towards their style of dress so that they won't feel out numbered. On my first Princess cruise back in 1991 there was a couple from Alaska seated at our table. Every night including the 2 formal nights and the 2 semiformal nights they would show up, she would be wearing a sundress which leaned towards a house dress and he would be wearing a flannel shirt and jeans. This was on a Caribbean cruise. The Mater'd must have let them in before the doors opened because they were always seated at the table before everyone else entered. We were traveling with my BIL and SIL and it was just the 6 of us at the table. We couldn't care less how they were dressed.
Saw plenty of tuxes & dark suits on the Eclipse on our Jan.22-Feb5 trip. About 25% wore tuxes another 50% wore sport coats ties & such(my group)

The other 25% wore kind of a smart casual with a twist: Tie with vest & dress shirt & Jeans(really looked pretty cool on some of the guys)Smart casual was pretty much pants & collared shirt.

And for all those that do not read the policy posted on the Princess website, this is the sign that was posted at the entrance to the MDR's on Coral Princess last year. Not sure if the picture I attached will be included, so let me quote:

DRESS CODE

Formal: A dinner jacket or dark business suit for gentlemen and a full length evening gown, cocktail dresses or trouser suit for ladies.

Smart Casual: An open-neck shirt and slacks for gentlemen and a dress, skirt and blouse or trouser suit outfit for ladies.

Shorts and T-Shirts are not permitted in the Dining Rooms at Dinner

Now I picked that sign up, examined it in bright lighting on both sides, and used a magnifying glass to see if there was any fine print with exceptions. I could find none.

But it FINALLY came to me, why there are "others" that just don't think the policy applies to them.

ALL of us who respectfully follow this policy have been missing what's been staring us right in the face all along (and I don't mean the hairy legs on the man in shorts at the next table.)

The policy ONLY APPLIES to:

"LADIES" & "GENTLEMEN"

I'll agree to that, but there are a few that title doesn't seem to apply to. They'll be along shortly.

It has nothing to do with "not liking to dress up".....it is an archaic rule and the cruising world has moved to a more casual elegance whether people like it or not.....people running around in ill fitting suits and old frocks is not exactly what I call "hip, slick and cool!" even though it may be all the rage in Mayberry....:cool:

I rather like the show. The old couple who look like they are going to the prom. The shirt and cummerbund matching the Mother of the bride gown. You can tell by the style what year the kids got married. It's like a walk down memory lane.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums