10-day or 11-day Caribbean...I have questions

jules815

My husband and I are currently booked (S1) on a 10-day Ultimate Caribbean on Reflection sailing on 12/8. The ports are Antigua, Barbados, St. Lucia, an over-night in St. Maarten, with 2 sea days at the beginning and end, which I really like. These are all new ports for us, with the exception of St. Maarten, but an overnight in St. Maarten would be something different.

Yesterday my husband asked me what the dates were so he could get his vacation days into the system at work. I couldn't remember the ports, went on the X website, and then saw an 11-day that would be the cruise before ours, (11/27). It's a different and new itinerary, with the exception of Grand Cayman. We'd still be in an S1, and the price difference for the extra day and new itinerary is about $1300.

11-day itinerary is: Grand Cayman, Cartagena, Aruba (we'd over-night here), Curacao, Bonaire, and 4 sea days.

For anyone who has been to the ports on the 11-day, how did you like that itinerary? Is it wonderful?? Is there some beautiful must-sea beach, or anything special, that would make us want to switch and pay the extra $$?

(We've been on the RC eastern/western itineraries many times, so both of these itineraries look good to us. We're not big excursion people. We might get off the ship and walk around a little, do some shopping. If there was something special to see we'd do it, but we're not going to be booking zip-lining or snorkeling excursions.)

We are sadly about to end our 11 day and loved it -$1300 in my opinion is too much for an extra day. Been to Costa Rica (will stay on board next time), Panama (the same), Columbia (did not like -- too hot and too many street vendors pestering you). Went to Grand Cayman yesterday and loved it. Today, we are in Cozumel. 10 days is a perfect length.

We are sadly about to end our 11 day and loved it -$1300 in my opinion is too much for an extra day. Been to Costa Rica (will stay on board next time), Panama (the same), Columbia (did not like -- too hot and too many street vendors pestering you). Went to Grand Cayman yesterday and loved it.

The OP was referring to $1300 less for an 11 day sailing.

Thanks for the info everyone. I think I'm going to keep us on the 10-day that overnights in St. Maarten. I really like those 2 b2b sea days on the front and end. As for the 11-day itinerary, would love to get to those ports someday. I guess we'll have to keep booking more cruises. :D

Personally, I would stick with the 10 night. I have been to Aruba and Bonnaire on a cruise and I have no desire to return to either one. I think $1300 is too much for just one additional night. I'd stick with what you have booked.

We are on the same cruise on the 8th . Was on Refelction this past Dec doing the western and did not come close to southern ports as far as we are concerned. We have done 10 day a few times and love the 2-day going and 2-day returning because it gives you time to wine down beforew and after! See you on the cruise Bob & Donna

I've been to all the ports on both the cruises you are looking at. You can't go wrong with either itinerary. If the port is new to you and from what you stated, most of them are, then there is always something to see and enjoy the first time at any port.

You might want to factor in your airfare & pre-cruise hotel, which could be more expensive for one set of dates than the other, along with the difference in cabin cost.

Personally, I think you should do one cruise now and then book the other itinerary for a date in the future. :)

You could look at the 12 night Silhouette cruise. It's $200 per person cheaper for an Aqua and visits some of the same ports, and has an over night in San Juan.

It leaves on 11/26 and gets back 12/8

Ports

Ft. Lauderdale

Sea day

San Juan 18:00(arrive)

San Juan 18:00(leave)

St. Marten

St. Lucia

Grenada

Barbados

Dominica

St. Kitts

Sea day

Sea day

Ft. Lauderdale.

I was originally booked on the 11 day reflection but changed to this cruise as it was an extra day, and had a more appealing itinerary.

It never hurts to keep your options open and know what's out there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

We love Cartagena. A beautiful city, both old and new. Not your typical Caribbean stop.

If you have the time, the 14 night Southern done by Eclipse is really popular and a wonderful sea day schedule. We use it every January as our first winter get away.

We are on the same cruise on the 8th . Was on Refelction this past Dec doing the western and did not come close to southern ports as far as we are concerned. We have done 10 day a few times and love the 2-day going and 2-day returning because it gives you time to wine down beforew and after! See you on the cruise Bob & Donna

We've really been looking forward to the 10-day, especially because of those sea days. Not going to change a thing, and can start thinking about this trip now that I'm back from last week on Reflection. :) (LOVED that ship!)

My husband and I are currently booked (S1) on a 10-day Ultimate Caribbean on Reflection sailing on 12/8. The ports are Antigua, Barbados, St. Lucia, an over-night in St. Maarten, with 2 sea days at the beginning and end, which I really like. These are all new ports for us, with the exception of St. Maarten, but an overnight in St. Maarten would be something different.

Yesterday my husband asked me what the dates were so he could get his vacation days into the system at work. I couldn't remember the ports, went on the X website, and then saw an 11-day that would be the cruise before ours, (11/27). It's a different and new itinerary, with the exception of Grand Cayman. We'd still be in an S1, and the price difference for the extra day and new itinerary is about $1300.

11-day itinerary is: Grand Cayman, Cartagena, Aruba (we'd over-night here), Curacao, Bonaire, and 4 sea days.

For anyone who has been to the ports on the 11-day, how did you like that itinerary? Is it wonderful?? Is there some beautiful must-sea beach, or anything special, that would make us want to switch and pay the extra $$?

(We've been on the RC eastern/western itineraries many times, so both of these itineraries look good to us. We're not big excursion people. We might get off the ship and walk around a little, do some shopping. If there was something special to see we'd do it, but we're not going to be booking zip-lining or snorkeling excursions.)

The $1300 is rather stiff for 1 extra day. We did like the Aruba over night. If you choose that, might I suggest a dinner at "Chalet Suisse"? On our 14 day Eclipse trip this past Jan. we found the rest. to be outstanding & by far the most enjoyable meal of the entire trip.

My recommendation is to simply do them both, back to back :). Then you will have a very nice 21 day cruise :). And yes, we understand that much of the working folks cannot take that amount of time off of work. Pity. Retirement is good :).

Hank

I would go with the 10 day, love the ports...I would change to Equinox though, love the Equinox. Barbados beaches are great! or Harrison Caves... St. Lucia look at Cosol tours, it was amazing! I'm sure Reflection is great too...

Personally, I would stick with the 10 night. I have been to Aruba and Bonnaire on a cruise and I have no desire to return to either one. I think $1300 is too much for just one additional night. I'd stick with what you have booked.

I very much enjoyed Aruba and Bonnaire on our cruise last Nov. There are some fabulous beaches on Aruba and the snorkelling in Bonnaire is some of the best in the Carib. We also did Curacao and it was one of my favorite islands. I guess it depends what you are doing on the island. I still would not pay an extra $1300 for another day. Probably if you would have booked around the same time as your original it would have been similarly priced. Prices vary wildly depending on how full the ship is.

You can't really make a mistake on either itinerary. We're on the 11 day Reflection 11/27 and chose that one because it was longer and we've been to the ports on the 10 day many times. We love them, but wanted to try something different. We've been to land based vacations many times in Aruba and really enjoy that island, but have never visited Curacao or Bonaire. We'll probably stay on board in Caragena since we've been there done that and don't feel good about the safety of that port. It is listed as one of the 10 most dangerous ports. We've been to Grand Cayman several times and always find it a relaxing day. All that being said, we're paying $1699 for an Aqua A1 hump balcony, plus drinks, tips, and a generous OBC, so I definitely wouldn't recommend paying $1300 for 1 more night! Yikes!

I'm scheduled to sail on the 11/27 cruise but did a ten day on Equinox last year, with an overnight in St Maarten. It was fun to see the city after the ships sailed away. Visit Grand Case for dinner or drinks if you can!

Liz

They're all good places to visit, with one or two exceptions. Yo uve picked a great itinerary. Barbados has the best beaches, equal to the beaches in Aruba. We love St Martin, especially Marigot, Orient Beach, and going to the flea market in Marigot I bought beautiful French linens at the flea market for a reasonable price [emoji74]

Grand Cayman is our least favorite port due to not being remotely close to the place it used to be 25 years ago. Overcrowded, and to me, nearly unrecognizable last year. Too many ships in port, and it is a very small place. I much prefer Aruba or Barbados. Antigua is just okay, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DW loves the 10 day Equinox cruise for the 2 sea days in the beginning and and 2 days at the end. Plus the islands you are visiting are different from the usual 10 day trips. As another CC er said, the COSOL private tour on St Lucia is great, make arrangements ahead of time. I don't agree with poster who did not like Antigua. If you like beaches you will love the island. Plus you must get up to Shirley Heights and enjoy the view of Nelson's Dockyard, I got some amazing pictures up there. We just got back from an overnight stay on St Maarten on Equinox. My recommendation is stay away from the Holland House Hotel for dinner, ruined my evening. Great location for drinks on the beach on Great Bay, just don't eat there. If you go to the French side for dinner just know it is not cheap. Great thing is you are up and out the next day before the rest of the ships come in for their day, and it can get busy there. The day we came in there were 5 ships there already (3 other Celebrity ships - Summit, Silhouette and Eclipse, Jewel of the Seas plus all of the 6200 people of Alllure of the Seas). All of those ships left leaving us the only ship in port.

FYI go up to the Sunset Bar on deck 15 in the rear of the ship and watch the ship sail away from the islands. Magnificent.

Enjoy your cruise.