The perils of flying down the day of the cruise.

one9marine

WE are sailing on Navigator the day after Thanksgiving. And, since we don't want to miss Thanksgiving with the family. (Parents are getting up in age). We are flying the into Florida the day of the cruise. This will be the first time we have done this. Yes, we have bought insurance. Hopefully, we don't have to use it. We booked the first flight out in the morning. So, hopefully, no problem. Cross fingers(yn)

I used to fly in on day of cruise and also never bought insurance. But as Dylan sais "Times are a'changin" and I was very lucky (did 50 cruises like this) now always get insurance and always fly in day before ( on maybe more) airlines really suck now.

Sometimes easier said than done. We have ALWAYS flown in or driven down the day before a cruise, however for our upcoming Oasis cruise we are flying out (first flight in the morning) bright and early the day of the cruise. I had many second thoughts on this and thought long and hard before booking this flight, but circumstances made it so this was our best/only option. We are scheduled to arrive at 8:50am in Orlando and I'm keeping my prayer beads out that we will not have any issues. We aren't flying Delta...so that is a win. LOL

I've flown in the day of the cruise a few times and never had any issues. Of course this is only when flying within Europe and only when booking the flight together as a package with the cruise so that I'm ABTA and ATOL protected and I also always have insurance as well. If I have to fly internationally, however I fly in at least the day before but that's more about comfort than anything as I like to have a night to sleep off the long flight before boarding the ship.

We just returned from Allure at Easter. Our flight down on Saturday the 15th was supposed to leave BWI at 1115 AM and arrive at FLL at 145 PM. We were on Southwest who usually is on top of their game, but failed this day. plane problems held our departure until about 315 PM. Did not get into FLL until 530 or so. At least 2 couples on the plane had a cruise on Freedom leaving Saturday afternoon, one couple on their honeymoon, Needless to say they missed the boat, so had to get to next stop on their own. Heartbreaking. To make matters worse the other couple had a 715 flight and cancelled for our flight. IMHO too risky waiting to departure day to get there, we always fly down the day before.

We flew in the day of the cruise our first 2 cruises, but the 3rd one we flew in the day before and the stress was so much less, its worth any hotel charge and the flight is usually a little cheaper anyway. I would have never thought to fly in the day of a major travel holiday!

So scary to have that happen to anybody. We usually fly in a day or once we did two days prior. Last year we didn't and flew down morning of to San Juan. Glad everything went smoothly. Flying into Houston a day early next cruise out of Galveston.

Our first cruise, we flew in the morning of. It went without incident, but we were young, and total neophytes to travel in general, oblivious to what could have gone wrong.

Flash forward to 2016, we're booked on our 4th cruise, again flying in the morning of, for no reason other than I wasn't thinking when I booked it. I was a nervous wreck in the last weeks leading up to it, because I knew the sorts of things that can go wrong. It was a nonstop that went without incident, and arrived on time at 8:30 am, but I could have done without the added stress.

For me, and peace of mind, a night in a hotel is more than worth it.

About two years ago we were on a cruise out of Port Everglades. We lived 4 hours away by car. Not a problem to drive down the day of. Left at 9 am and hit 95 south. Smooth sailing till we got to the south side of West Palm Beach. Traffic slowed to a crawl and then a stop. This was about 1 pm by then. No problem, we are within 30-40 minutes of destination. Then it was almost 2 pm. Had to be there by 4 or so. I got off the highway and started driving thru town. We hit every red light there. Finally got to the port a little after 330 pm but our nerves were frazzled. Next trip we went to Miami which was less than an hour past Everglades, but this time we got a hotel the night before the cruise. What a difference. We went out for a nice dinner, watched the sunset with drinks in hand, woke up to a nice breakfast and a easy ride to the ship. Sure it costs more, but I think of it as cheap insurance. We are sailing this Saturday to Bermuda and you can bet we are up in NJ a day early. Nice dinner and hot tub that night. Cant beat it. Just consider all the costs as part of a great vacation.

As I am living in Sacramento, California, the only ports that I would consider attempting a same-day departure would be San Francisco (drive), Los Angeles, and San Diego. Even then, it would be a way-too-early flight. And, this was in 2003/2005.

Just for fun, I checked the flight for my upcoming cruise. The ONLY same-day flight from Sacramento to Vancouver that would arrive in time to board the ship departs Sacramento at 6:55 AM, with a stop in Seattle from 8:43 AM to 9:55 AM, and arrives in Vancouver at 10:56 AM. All the other flight options start arriving at 4:19 PM. :o I'm flying in two days previous so that I can spend the day in Vancouver.

Our first cruise, we flew in the morning of. It went without incident, but we were young, and total neophytes to travel in general, oblivious to what could have gone wrong.

Flash forward to 2016, we're booked on our 4th cruise, again flying in the morning of, for no reason other than I wasn't thinking when I booked it. I was a nervous wreck in the last weeks leading up to it, because I knew the sorts of things that can go wrong. It was a nonstop that went without incident, and arrived on time at 8:30 am, but I could have done without the added stress.

For me, and peace of mind, a night in a hotel is more than worth it.

For 25 + cruises we always fly down (or over) the day before the cruise. Two years ago, in Jan, I had this brilliant idea: why not save a few bucks and fly down to FLL from EWR the morning of. Never had a problem, why not.

Well a major snow storm was predicted for the morning of our flight- 10+ inches. What a hassle. Was able to change flights, limo, hotel booked but hours on the phone. United let us redeposit our miles without penalty then withdrew for the earlier flight.

Never again!!!

My stats as anecdotal experience, on our last five trips to Europe, we would have missed the ship/ boat twice if we had flown in the day of. Mechanical problems and weather delays. We always fly in at least one, and typically 2 days early.

Here's another biggie, if one is absolutely forced to fly in the day of the cruise, don't do cruise air!! Cruise air is bulk rate air. It can get you the worst connections and put one in the gutter on priority lists or wait lists. Spend the extra few dollars for a ticket that allows seat selection and a higher class than the lowest bulk rate. Why would any rational person show up at the airport needing to make a cruise , with a bulk rate ticket, no seat assignment, and for a flight that may well be over sold? Fools do so regularly!

I also agree and even if your air is provided by the cruise line, they agree to get you to the next port at their expense, but your 7 day cruise can now be a 5 day cruise if the second day is a sea day.

Highly suggest you read the actual terms and conditions - many cruiselines make it seem as though this is provided (in marketing blurbs), but you'll find tons of weasel words and offers of assistance, not guarantees when you get to the fine print.

This goes for driving as well. We learned this on the way back from our first cruise. As we were driving North on 95 from Florida, we noticed the Southbound direction was literally a parking lot for miles. We never learned what caused it, but we saw lots of people outside their cars walking around. Had we been driving down that day, there would have been a good chance we might have missed our ship. And if we would be lucky enough to still make it, I guarantee, we would have been stressed big time.

Erika

We've been in that before due to an early morning fatality. Our daughters first cruise we left Melbourne at 7am to arrive at the port by 10. But since they closed 95 S we ended up getting there around 2pm. Thankfully we left really early or we might not have made it.

We just returned from Allure at Easter. Our flight down on Saturday the 15th was supposed to leave BWI at 1115 AM and arrive at FLL at 145 PM. We were on Southwest who usually is on top of their game, but failed this day. plane problems held our departure until about 315 PM. Did not get into FLL until 530 or so. At least 2 couples on the plane had a cruise on Freedom leaving Saturday afternoon, one couple on their honeymoon, Needless to say they missed the boat, so had to get to next stop on their own. Heartbreaking. To make matters worse the other couple had a 715 flight and cancelled for our flight. IMHO too risky waiting to departure day to get there, we always fly down the day before.

Well, while other OP's are adding their 'Horror' stories, I'll add our 'just barely..' one. My wife and I decided to fly down to Miami the day before our cruise on the CCL Valor. I am a retired airline employee of the same airline we had booked on and had checked the flights all week before, and things looked good till.. :( We got to the airport here the Friday before our Saturday departure, then it went steadily down and down. 'They' said no way today, AND probably not tomorrow, but you can come back early in the morning and 'try'. BY then it was 1 p.m. and we decide NO WAY would we risk it, so throwing clothes in a suitcase (our bags were already send down to Miami) we drove till dark (7p.m.) spent the night, my wife doesn't like to drive at night on unfamiliar roads, then at 5:30 a.m (Not even half way to Miami we drove as fast as legally possible, hoping to make it. Then, to add to the stress we ran into one of South Miami's famous afternoon downpours, creeping along, barely able to see the road, we made the airport at 2 p.m. I collected our stored bags as she ran to the Carnival kiosk to make sure they knew we were here and they rushed us out to the next to last Carnival shuttle to the cruise port! My poor wife, as they 'dinged' us on the ship's security kiosk, said, ' I NEED a drink!!' Luckily, the cruise was WONDERFUL! But, this was one of those cases that as the old saying goes, 'IF it CAN go wrong, it will'.This was the closest we've ever come to missing a cruise ! (Thank goodness!)

Mac

Nope, nope, nope. Don't ever do it. I work for an airline that Jets the Blue skies... the bulk of my own flying is up and down the East Coast. Nearly every week I deal with or at least see a family angry and heartbroken they are going to miss their cruise due to weather or mechanical delays.

Don't ever do it unless something major gets in your way, and in that case, take the earliest possible deparure even if that means getting up at 2am. The delays are always less likely at the start of a day, and if something happens, you have more chances to get there before your ships departure time.

Then again, I frequently come across people who fly on the same day as a wedding (had a father miss his own daughters wedding two weeks ago) a graduation, or even a funeral.

Yes, Jeff, Knight of the BLUE, I agree with you. I worked for twenty nine years for (what most of the flying public would call) the dregs of the flying airlines (formed in the roaring '20, in the lower Mississippi, if you get my drift) and people do NOT understand there 2 factors airlines cannot foresee, BAD weather and mechanical problems. :( Especially the weather, sometimes (and I have seen it) they can find a spare A/C at the jet base and tow it to another gate, but WEATHER? Nope, no way they just do away with 80-90 mph winds or sleet/snow storms. :( Got to the point I'd never go out to eat after work, still in my uniform, because somebody would end up poking a finger in my face, telling me 'HOW I lost this or caused him to miss his flight.. ' Doesn't take long too realize most don't understand, sometimes, it is NOT our fault.

Mac

Count us in on day before or same day story. 25 years ago on our Honeymoon we had a same day flight to Miami to go on a Carinval ship. Flight left SW Mo on time at 7 am arrived at St louis at 7;50 am, next flight was at 9;45 am to Miami. Flight from St louis to Miami was delayed because of weather and other issue. Flight did leave about 1 Pm, with the time change and flight time we arrived at Miami at 4 Pm. It was a mad dash to get us to port of Miami, but we just made it by 30 mins until ship sailed. Big lesson learned that day, we always fly down at least one or two day before cruise. Next Cruise in Jan for us, we our booked for two days in advance.. PS- We also needed a stiff drink after we made the Carinval ship 25 years ago...

Hey SmoothFlying - I'd fly on your dregs of an airline any day before I fly on that Cattle Car from Texas...

I sure hope that honeymooning couple was smart enough to be traveling with passports and not just a DL and BC for their cruise or they were most likely SOL due to the "you don't need a passport on a closed-loop trip" bugaboo...

There is another thread on Ask a Cruise Question where the OP is doing a TATL set of flights with TWO connections, with checked luggage, arriving somewhere in the UK (didn't say the airport) at 7am the same day their cruise departs at 1pm (from which port, she didn't say). Now, THAT takes nerves of steel and trust in your Higher Power that not a single thing will go wrong.

I was supposed to be on a cruise starting today (had to cancel for an emergency). I would have only had to take a 1.5 hour flight - even then I opted to fly in the day before... I've traveled too much over too many years and I will always try to have a day of travel to be sure I have some padding.

In June 2015, we were supposed to fly into San Juan a day before our cruise. We were already in the runway when a warning light came on and they taxied us back to the terminal and sent the plane to maintenance. We tried to rebook our flights, but they kept telling us not to worry. The flight would be delayed, but we would still make our connection. Finally, after an hour or so, they told us the flight was cancelled.

So, we asked to get a different flight, but there were no more flight to San Juan that day even though it was still early in the morning. In fact, there were no flights to SJU until 2 more days. After much complaining, they finally got us out on a different airline from a different airport the next morning ( day of the cruise).

The next morning, we were trying to check in our luggage when the fire alarm sounded. They evacuated the airport. I was sure we would miss our connection again and I was in a panic. Finally, they said it was a false alarm and let us through. After RUNNING in flip flops with 3 kids in tow through the Atlanta airport, we made our connecting flight just as they were closing the doors.

So, we made it in time for the cruise. But, it was hard for me to de-stress after that. Thankfully, the rest of the week was amazing!

So, that is my story about almost missing a cruise.

I am a retired airline employee of the same airline we had booked on and had checked the flights all week before, and things looked good till.. :( We got to the airport here the Friday before our Saturday departure, then it went steadily down and down. 'They' said no way today, AND probably not tomorrow, but you can come back early in the morning and 'try'.

It seems pretty risky to fly as a non-rev if you have time sensitive travel.

Whoever mentioned insurance even if flying in the day before is spot on. There have been at least two instances this year where almost all flights through hubs have been cancelled for one reason or another and then were pretty much back to normal the next day----except for the people who didn't get to there destination the day before and are now waiting 4-5 days for a seat. In those situations, had you tried to fly in the day before, you may not have made it for 4-5 days, whereas, if you flew on the day of you were on a completely full plane, but still made it on time. Rare, but it does happen.

My suggestion :If possible fly 2 days before your cruise . My wife and I booked an 8AM flight to Ft.Lauderdale . Due to terrible weather the plane did not leave till 8PM . By the time we got off the plane it was 11:20 PM and the last shuttle to our hotel left the airport at 11PM. We had to call and make special arrangements to be picked up resulting in a 2AM check in .We had to leave the hotel 8AM to shuttle to the cruiseport.

That was our last time of planning to arrive a day before.

Well, while other OP's are adding their 'Horror' stories, I'll add our 'just barely..' one. My wife and I decided to fly down to Miami the day before our cruise on the CCL Valor. I am a retired airline employee of the same airline we had booked on and had checked the flights all week before, and things looked good till.. :( We got to the airport here the Friday before our Saturday departure, then it went steadily down and down. 'They' said no way today, AND probably not tomorrow, but you can come back early in the morning and 'try'. BY then it was 1 p.m. and we decide NO WAY would we risk it, so throwing clothes in a suitcase (our bags were already send down to Miami) we drove till dark (7p.m.) spent the night, my wife doesn't like to drive at night on unfamiliar roads, then at 5:30 a.m (Not even half way to Miami we drove as fast as legally possible, hoping to make it. Then, to add to the stress we ran into one of South Miami's famous afternoon downpours, creeping along, barely able to see the road, we made the airport at 2 p.m. I collected our stored bags as she ran to the Carnival kiosk to make sure they knew we were here and they rushed us out to the next to last Carnival shuttle to the cruise port! My poor wife, as they 'dinged' us on the ship's security kiosk, said, ' I NEED a drink!!' Luckily, the cruise was WONDERFUL! But, this was one of those cases that as the old saying goes, 'IF it CAN go wrong, it will'.This was the closest we've ever come to missing a cruise ! (Thank goodness!)

Mac

Maybe I missed it but were you trying to non rev? If so you are far more adventurous than I am! We fly confirmed ( at least a day early) to anything important such as a cruise and non rev home. Works well for us-except when our cruise ended in New Jersey just after hurricane Sandy hit. Of course nobody was flying anywhere that day, least of all us. Fortunately able to get on a flight the next morning. It wasn't to where we had originally intended but we eventually made it home.

I have flown in the day of both times for my cruises and have had zero problems. You just have to be smart about it. I always get the very first flight out to give us buffer time if we need it. Also, know the weather. If you are flying from the north in February it probably is a bad idea to fly day of. But if you are flying in the spring or summer you are probably going to be ok.

1. While it's smartER to get the first flight of the day, "being smart" about it doesn't guarantee anything. Sometimes that first flight can be delayed for hours and hours, while the later flights go off without a hitch.

2. Weather anywhere in the country can affect flights anywhere else in the country. Some parts of the country have more weather delays in spring/summer than in winter due to the daily thunderstorms. And even when the weather is bright and sunny at your departure airport and your arrival airport, if your aircraft or crew are coming in from somewhere else that has bad weather, you can end up with a huge weather delay.

It seems pretty risky to fly as a non-rev if you have time sensitive travel.

So true, Rug..

As the old saying goes, 'Experience, IS the best teacher'. And that WAS an unhappy miserable experience. We NEVER again tried to make a cruise by flying non-rev. Now, we drive (at least till the wife retires) and we can possibly leave early enough to get to the cruise port and don't HAVE to be back for her to return to a job.

Mac