General Questions About Pre-Tips

cuse165

I have been cruising for over 12 years all on RCL. Back then at the last night of the Cruise you use to tip who you wanted and how much. I do understand why they went to pre-tips and I am okay paying tips. Has anyone noticed ever since they went to pre-tipping that the service has gotten slower or not as friendly with you will to go the extra. Just a question.

I have been cruising for over 12 years all on RCL. Back then at the last night of the Cruise you use to tip who you wanted and how much. I do understand why they went to pre-tips and I am okay paying tips. Has anyone noticed ever since they went to pre-tipping that the service has gotten slower or not as friendly with you will to go the extra. Just a question.

I've not noticed any difference. Remember, even with the auto-gratuity option, you can tip additionally directly to the people who you feel have done an even better job.

The incentive is still there to do a good job.

No difference I can see.

. Has anyone noticed ever since they went to pre-tipping that the service has gotten slower or not as friendly[...?]

The myth that this was going to happen was quickly debunked not long after the first mainstream line went to auto grats--which was way back in 2001 on Princess Cruises.

Two reasons why auto grats work:

Peer pressure among and between crew members working in various departments to always give excellent customer service has increased as the tipping pool now applies to so many different ones;

And the crew members who faces you see the most--your cabin steward and dining room team should you have fixed seating time--are judged very strongly on the percentage of passengers in their stations who cancel the auto grats. Their future contracts depend on keeping that number very low. So they continue to "go the extra" especially as turning in a commendation card for them , or mentioning them by name in the post cruise survey, is more valuable to their careers than a few extra greenbacks.

Just the opposite for me. Since tipping has become automatic service seems much better, and most people don't skip the dining room the last night of the cruise any longer.

The myth that this was going to happen was quickly debunked not long after the first mainstream line went to auto grats--which was way back in 2001 on Princess Cruises.

Peer pressure among and between crew members working in various departments to always give excellent customer service has increased as the tipping pool now applies to so many different ones;

And the crew members who faces you see the most--your cabin steward and dining room team should you have fixed seating time--are judged very strongly on the percentage of passengers in their stations who cancel the auto grats. Their future contracts depend on keeping that number very low. So they continue to "go the extra" especially as turning in a commendation card for them , or mentioning them by name in the post cruise survey, is more valuable to their careers than a few extra greenbacks.

Many of us opt to leave the hotel service charge in place on our ship board acounts and we continue to tip addditional the last asy/night. Stewaards know they will be getting envelopes but not how asny. i have seen no decrease in tthe serviice since HAL wnet to auto charge hotel service chaergew.. i think the system fine jus t the way it is. if I want to tip more, no one is going to stop me.

Just the opposite for me. Since tipping has become automatic service seems much better, and most people don't skip the dining room the last night of the cruise any longer.

On our HAL Zuiderdam cruise last December, we definitely noticed far fewer diners in the MDR on the last night....

From what I've been reading, and it certainly isn't a lot, the good folks you tip individually still have to turn it all in, to be shared.

It may vary by line.

That's certainly what some crew contracts say.

People here dispute it hotly, but it's in black and white that all cash tips need to be turned in.

The service by the tipped staff is about the same as before the change as far as I can remember. It's been awhile.

The current system is more convenient for me. I like paying my regular bills via direct debit or on a credit card. I prefer a debit or credit card for everyday purchases. I just don't use cash very much these days at all. If I happen to need cash I use the drive through ATM. I can't remember the last time I actually stepped inside a bank branch. So any system that can reduce cash usage is fine by me.

From what I've been reading, and it certainly isn't a lot, the good folks you tip individually still have to turn it all in, to be shared.

It is my understanding that only cash tips received from passengers who have removed auto tips are required to be turned in. I am not sure how effectively this can be monitored.

All depends on the cruise line. Each one has its own rules.

I have noticed no change at all. We like the convenience of the pre-paid tips and usually tip some extra to our cabin steward unless they are really sub-par; which has never happened.

It is my understanding that extra tips over and beyond the daily gratuity charge is kept by the person tipped; if gratuities are removed, all cash tips must then be turned in.

It is my understanding that only cash tips received from passengers who have removed auto tips are required to be turned in. I am not sure how effectively this can be monitored.

Through fear of losing their jobs. The company employ 'ghost' passengers who remove the gratuity and tip in cash. If the staff member does not hand the tip in they are toast!. This may not be true but the threat of it would be enough to keep the staff in line.

I prefer to have the tips included in the fare, then you can hand over cash in addition. As tips are an integral part of the salary allowing people to vary them means some will take the opportunity to lower the price of their cruise at the expense of fellow passengers. :mad:

ALL cash tips must be turned in until a full accounting is made of the tips received through pre and auto tipping. If they have not been removed, then the crew member will get it deposited into his/her account. If they have been removed, then the cash is distributed to all crew in the pool.

We have been advised on many HAL ships that if we leave the auto service charge in place on y=our ship board accounts and then tip more individually to some crew, they do not have to pool it. if auto tip is paid, all sxra tips are kept by the person to whom they are given It is too hard for me to type to get into how do they know who left auto tip in place, and how do they know individuals as turning in their extra tips.. they are doing so but I am not going to get intoitt.

We have been advised on many HAL ships that if we leave the auto service charge in place on y=our ship board accounts and then tip more individually to some crew, they do not have to pool it. if auto tip is paid, all sxra tips are kept by the person to whom they are given It is too hard for me to type to get into how do they know who left auto tip in place, and how do they know individuals as turning in their extra tips.. they are doing so but I am not going to get intoitt.

The problem with your argument is that passengers can remove their auto tips at the end of the cruise. So, what happens to those cash tips the crew pocketed during the cruise if the passenger removes the auto tips at the last minute?

That is why ALL cash tips are turned into the bookkeeping department until AFTER the cruise is over. Only then will it be known who has and hasn't removed their tips.

So, you are partially correct. They will keep the cash tips if the auto tips are left in place. But, they still need to turn them in until the accounting can be made in case the auto tips were removed at the end of the cruise.

Edited by SantaFeFan

And the crew members who faces you see the most--your cabin steward and dining room team should you have fixed seating time--are judged very strongly on the percentage of passengers in their stations who cancel the auto grats. Their future contracts depend on keeping that number very low.

It sounds more like car salesman "meeting the quota" than getting a tip. I have been giving our cabin steward cash tip every other days on top of the auto tip. I wonder if he really had to turn all of them in.

we have heard that on p&o unless the staff get excellent on your feedback they do not share any of the tips.we find the cabin stewards are at pains to ensure excellent is placed on your feedback.

on our last cruise our granddaughters steward thanked her for her tip and stated on the last cruise he got nothing.