Best weather for transpacific

I did my due-diligence to find a post for this question:

When is the best weather for crossing Sydney-Seattle. April or October? I'm not looking for perfect warm weather, just the chance of bad weather that could divert ship's course.

When is the best weather for crossing Sydney-Seattle. April or October? I'm not looking for perfect warm weather, just the chance of bad weather that could divert ship's course.

It depends on which way you go. You can go from Sydney to Hawaii via either Tahiti or Fiji.

If you go via Tahiti you also go via NZ. If I had my druthers I'd choose NZ in April over NZ in October.

Weather is such an unpredictable beast that it makes the OP's question like asking for the winning Lotto numbers. For example Western Pacific Cyclones have occurred in recent times in 10 of the 12 months.

If you look under this Australia & NZ Cruisers thread, you will see discussion re late cyclones this year in May, which have caused ports to be missed and cruises to be diverted. Currently Cyclone Ella is a Category 2 cyclone. As cyclones only form when the water is warm enough, I would choose October.

BTW I have been to the South Pacific Islands in October and whilst the water was cool for someone from the tropics, the weather was perfect. For you, the water would probably be warm!

It depends on which way you go. You can go from Sydney to Hawaii via either Tahiti or Fiji.

If you go via Tahiti you also go via NZ. If I had my druthers I'd choose NZ in April over NZ in October.

Sinbad one cruise line goes via NZ & Tahiti (RCCL); The other 2 go via Fuji & Tahiti (Carnival & Princess). Carnival will be from Seattle (Go The M's) while Princess will be from Long Beach.

I prefer April. Went through the famous April storms 2 years ago. (where 5 people died around Sydney due to the storm). Only 1 day was rough; the first. But we had Easter & Anzac Day Out at sea; celebrating. this was totally different to normal. The temps would be about the same. See you here in Australia soon Mate.

Having done the Trans Pacific at both times, I prefer April. Having said that, we are sitting at Honolulu Airport right now and our flight to Apia is delayed until 3am (thanks for the no text Fiji Airways) due to bad weather out there. Also unless you particularly want to go to Seattle, the Radiance IMO is a much better cruise but then I prefer the Radiance and I prefer Bora Bora over Suva:rolleyes: Seattle was quite warm in May.

Cheers

Di

Since those cruises are always one way cruises the other thing to consider is whether you prefer do the long flight before or after your cruise. Personally I'd prefer to do the flight first, if possible, then relax on the cruise.

Since those cruises are always one way cruises the other thing to consider is whether you prefer do the long flight before or after your cruise. Personally I'd prefer to do the flight first, if possible, then relax on the cruise.

I suppose for me I prefer to finish with a cruise, especially if I have touring to do as well.

We like doing repositioning cruises but, after the next one (Diamond to Japan), I'm going to try to book ones that return to Sydney not leave from Sydney. Other cruises got in the way of that next year. Ahh, life is soooo hard! :p :D

Make sure you get to the top of the island at Bora Bora the views are very special.

Don't you mean on Moorea? :) The top of the island at Bora Bora has two rocky mountains and isn't really accessible.

Moorea has a lookout called the Belvedere. It is accessed by a winding road. On Moorea I feel the best thing is to hire a car and drive around the island then go to the Belvedere (or the Belvedere first depending on the weather). This can be done in a leisurely fashion with a couple of hours to spare in the day.

We have also hired a car on Bora Bora and driven around the island but that wasn't great. It was also very expensive. The best thing there is a tour with Patrick where you hand-feed stingrays.:)

Don't you mean on Moorea? :) The top of the island at Bora Bora has two rocky mountains and isn't really accessible.

Moorea has a lookout called the Belvedere. It is accessed by a winding road. On Moorea I feel the best thing is to hire a car and drive around the island then go to the Belvedere (or the Belvedere first depending on the weather). This can be done in a leisurely fashion with a couple of hours to spare in the day.

We have also hired a car on Bora Bora and driven around the island but that wasn't great. It was also very expensive. The best thing there is a tour with Patrick where you hand-feed stingrays.:)

That is exactly what we did - day with Patrick at Bora Bora and car hire at Moorea. We took the beautiful drive a bit too leisurely arriving back just in time for final tender. These are both not to be missed destinations, with unforgettable sailaways.

No, I did mean Bora Bora but perhaps the use of the top was over stated. I meant a few of the high points, some have the old gun placements from WWII.

we did the tour with Patrick and part of it is in 4wds and the other is lunch on a private motu, complete with hungi/lovu and then swimming with sharks and rays and also outside the reef with lemon sharks.

The Trans Pacific Cruises which I think are best value for Australians are those with the most ports of call in Hawaii, Tahiti, Cook Islands, Samoa, Tonga, etc., rather than the South Pacific islands closer to Australia, which are readily available on short cruises from Australia or by plane. I have a noticed a trend for a number of repositioning cruises to have minimal ports of call, plus ports of call close to Australia/NZ.