Laptops on NCL... are they allowed?

GenghisHahn

My mother-in-law said you can't bring a laptop on a cruise ship. I think she is thinking about internet connectivity. I was going to bring mine on the Norwegian Pearl just so I could transfer photos and free up space after the excursion trips. Any ideas? We are new to this.

My mother-in-law said you can't bring a laptop on a cruise ship. I think she is thinking about internet connectivity. I was going to bring mine on the Norwegian Pearl just so I could transfer photos and free up space after the excursion trips. Any ideas? We are new to this.

Well, I haven't been on Norwegian, but I'm pretty sure you can bring a lap top. We've been able to take it on all the cruises we've been on.

I don't know why she thinks you can't bring a laptop.

I do not have a smart phone so I bring a laptop for internet connection rather than use the ones in the ship's internet room.

You definitely can bring a laptop.

Your mother in law is incorrect as others have indicated. While the connectivity may be slow, it is available and laptops are brought on board by many people. (Far too many IMO as I prefer to leave it at home to get away from it while on a vacation. :))

You can bring your laptop if you intend to download your photos offline.

'... I was going to bring mine on the Norwegian Pearl just so I could transfer photos and free up space after the excursion trips.....'

Buy some SD/storage cards and leave the laptop at home. No need to lug it just for that.

'... I was going to bring mine on the Norwegian Pearl just so I could transfer photos and free up space after the excursion trips.....'

Buy some SD/storage cards and leave the laptop at home. No need to lug it just for that.

Excellent advice. Bringing a laptop to transfer photos to make space on your camera is like using a shotgun to kill a fly - it is overkill. Memory cards are easy to use, take up virtually no space in your luggage, and are pretty cheap. 64 GB SD memory cards are available on Amazon for less than $20. One of these will hold over 18,000 10 Megapixel photos.

See this link for more inforamtion: http://www.ilovememorycards.com/how-many-photos-can-64gb-hold.html

Excellent advice. Bringing a laptop to transfer photos to make space on your camera is like using a shotgun to kill a fly - it is overkill. Memory cards are easy to use, take up virtually no space in your luggage, and are pretty cheap. 64 GB SD memory cards are available on Amazon for less than $20. One of these will hold over 18,000 10 Megapixel photos.

See this link for more inforamtion: http://www.ilovememorycards.com/how-many-photos-can-64gb-hold.html

Different strokes for different folks. I ALWAYS bring my laptop with me. I has its own pocket in my camera bag (which is also my carryon) and never thought twice about it. I can download my card(s) every night and dump the shots i missed then be ready to go again the next morning. To me my laptop is just another part of my camera gear, with the added benefit of having some movies downloaded in case i get bored.

Yes, you can bring a laptop on NCL.

I brought my Surface Pro on Dawn, used it in my cab in and had no issues at all.

keep in mind you must pay for internet minutes but you certainly have that option.

Edited by sail7seas

You may certainly take your laptop on NCL, and if you want to pay for it can have Internet access on board.

Bringing a laptop is a personal decision, but we always do, not just for downloading photos, but I also document what the photos are the same day. Because I can get confused about "what was that"? And I keep a travel journal. My typing is so much faster and neater than my handwriting..... and almost as accurate.

And I just HATE trying to type on a smaller device (like a tablet). I NEED a full-sized keyboard to be comfortable. But we each make our own decisions. And isn't it great that we are all different and do things differently? How boring it would be if we were all alike.

• 9 months later...

Of course you can bring your laptop. Check out my handle... I used to bring my photo printer too, and give away pictures to table mates, my room steward, waiter, etc. They were all very appreciative, and in the late 1990’s very impressed with the digital photographs. The ship photographers were still using film. With my camera, laptop and printer I was giving them printed photos in minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums