Liberty WJ with caviar and lobster tails!

Last month on Liberty we encountered caviar at dinner in the WJ twice in one week. Not the best of course, but hey, still those little fish eggs. On the last night there were lobster tails and shrimp on ice at the back. Do other ships do this also? We love dinner in the WJ on Liberty.

I remember, in my childhood, my mother making "fish roe cakes"...so god-awful....there is NO WAY in heaven or hell that I would willingly eat "caviar"...I don't care if it comes from some "special" fish...if the eggs are orange or yellow or red or black...it's fishy and nasty! Now, lobster and shrimp are fine. I cook them regularly at home...fast and easy...I consider "seafood" to be "fast food"! Shrimp takes about 3 mins. to prepare!

My guess is that they were left over from the "fisherman's platter" served the evening before. Don't know about the caviar - can't stand the stuff, even the expensive kind.

Possibly the caviar was left over and ready to expire due to no one else is eating it either. :D;)

I think I saw Caviar on the menu in Chopped. Never tried it. Might once just to say I did! I expect it to be briney. We had some raw oysters from the Puget Sound and man those were super briney. Oregon Oysters are less salty!

Last month on Liberty we encountered caviar at dinner in the WJ twice in one week. Not the best of course, but hey, still those little fish eggs. On the last night there were lobster tails and shrimp on ice at the back. Do other ships do this also? We love dinner in the WJ on Liberty.

We met you and I didn't know it, we meet you in the windjammer and Viking Crown, Now I can put a face with a screen name, it was a pleasure

I remember, in my childhood, my mother making "fish roe cakes"...so god-awful....there is NO WAY in heaven or hell that I would willingly eat "caviar"...I don't care if it comes from some "special" fish...if the eggs are orange or yellow or red or black...it's fishy and nasty! Now, lobster and shrimp are fine. I cook them regularly at home...fast and easy...I consider "seafood" to be "fast food"! Shrimp takes about 3 mins. to prepare!

So you are suggesting that people love nasty stuff? Hmmm

I would love to have real caviar at WJ, especially real black caviar.. it is a cost prohibitive though for buffet. :)

Wow, what a way to yuck their yum.

Oh I do hope they have this on our sailing in late August on LOS. Husband loves shrimp and I Love Love Love lobster! I don't care who says it's tiny or frozen or what have you. It's not in my everyday price range so I get it on a cruise or if I'm lucky my anniversary or Birthday😊

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

Now that I think about it I do remember caviar a few nights in the DL/CL during a Baltics cruise several years ago. It wasn't stand alone caviar, they had it sprinkled over hard boiled eggs and a couple other things (can't remember what) on the appetizer table. I couldn't get up the courage to try it.

Now that I think about it I do remember caviar a few nights in the DL/CL during a Baltics cruise several years ago. It wasn't stand alone caviar, they had it sprinkled over hard boiled eggs and a couple other things (can't remember what) on the appetizer table. I couldn't get up the courage to try it.

Was it red or black? If black it's probably a substitute (not a real black caviar... as it cost about $80 for 100gr)

Was it red or black? If black it's probably a substitute (not a real black caviar... as it cost about $80 for 100gr)

It was black. Probably a substitute unless they were able to buy some cheap stuff in St. Petersburg!

I wonder how cheap it is in St Petersburg now. Still probably a lot.

We bought it some time ago from some not very legal business in Astrahan (on Volga), but in "capitals" it is definitely not cheap nowdays.

Tastes of real black caviar and other fish caviar colored in black are like day and night.

The black caviar was in a huge bowl on ice near the salad area. There were all the fixings that go with. I just like that briny taste, so I was happy. The lobster made me even happier. I.too. remember when we saw caviar in the concierge lounges. Many years ago, Voyager and Jewel offered caviar during "happy hour" when you bought a drink in the champagne bar.