What do you like and/or dislike about sharing a table with strangers?

Hey Tina

False.

It is a prayer, nothing needs to be said to the group including some so called interfaith declaration prior to eating.

Your categorically brazen declaration that it was not a prayer indicates that you wouldn't be interested in anything that doesn't fit with your person definitions for such things. You've made it very clear that trying to help you understand online would be a waste of time. Maybe if we're face to face on a cruise ship someday you'll be less brazen in categorical dismissing of perspectives that don't fit well with yours and I can share some insights.

I'd be interested to see you definition of "prayer" - and of "false".

Sent from my B3-A30 using Forums mobile app

The above is simply a joint statement made by people sitting around a table - hardly definable as a prayer or a communication with the almighty.

Of course it should not be imposed upon anyone objecting - but to call it a prayer is absurd.

Sorry nbt, I'll have to go with bUU on this one. We normally think of prayer as a communication with an almighty being but it can also be an earnest request or a wish, such as; "it is our prayer that these terrible hurricanes do not kill any more people." or " I pray this thread comes to a quick end."

I am a fast eater and don't like to linger waiting on others to finish their food. So have never ventured to do a group table with strangers when cruising alone.

I do like the group table when traveling with others even if I have a solo cabin but other people are part of my travel agent's booking. But then I know most of them already

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I like hearing what the tablemates are doing in each port stop, what ships they've been on, other itineraries they've done, and the things they've seen and done during those trips.

I don't like talking about home and life back home. I'm on a vacation!

I just want to focus on fun, interesting topics such as places and experiences on travels.

Really? To be hidden by the tablecloth?

You'll miss the pleasure of being told, "My eyes are up here."

no wonder the appropriate post for the dirty dawg poster

I also pray that the ladies at our table have inelegance and wit. Great gams and intelligence and wit are not mutually exclusive. :)

And yes I also pray for the men at our table have inelegance and wit too. But I don't pray for shorts for any of them, great gams or not. :D

Boy, I sure do pray a lot for an atheist. ;)

We always request the table size depending on how many extended family members are cruising with us...If it's just the two of us...always a table for 2....We don't share a table with other's when we go to land based restaurants...why would we want to onboard.

My sentiments exactly.

On our second cruise we were allocated a table with a family of 4, their daughter was similar aged to my girls and they had a son about 6. What a nightmare. The son was on and off the chair sat under the table and generally misbehaved, the parents did nothing about his bad behaviour. Furthermore the Dad couldn't stop blowing about his great job, house, car etc etc etc

We did complain to MDR manager however they couldn't accommodate us as first sitting was full. However we worked out that this family liked to eat at 6pm sharp therefore we informed the waiter that we would not be not be arriving until 6.45pm which at the time was the last entries for first seating. The waiter was very accommodating and served the horror family quickly and we usually arrived as they were finishing off.

Thankfully RCI have never done this to us again and we have always had a table for just our family.

• 5 months later...

What I like:

• Meeting people and learning about them, including comparing notes on their cruise experiences.

What I dislike:

• My hearing isn't what it used to be. If the room's busy I have trouble hearing what everyone is saying. It's awkward.
  • The meal takes longer.

My DH and I love a cruise vacation. It is a time to get away, relax, and enjoy ourselves. We enjoy meeting other people and talking with them, but really enjoy the anytime dining. We can go early, late, or whatever on our own schedule. We usually choose to dine alone because it is our time to enjoy our dinner and each other, and reflect on our day.

I'm sure one or two folks over the years we shared a table with might have found me not to be their ideal table mate. I do try hard to play nice, it's just some people lose that privilege. It would be funny to somehow be able to go back on past table mates and see what they thought of you.

We enjoy sharing a table with others providing that the conversation is not about politics, religion, healthcare or incredibly smart/successful children/grandchildren. Also don't want to play 20 questions in order for someone so inclined to place us on their socioeconomic scale.

We enjoy sharing a table with others providing that the conversation is not about politics, religion, healthcare or incredibly smart/successful children/grandchildren. Also don't want to play 20 questions in order for someone so inclined to place us on their socioeconomic scale.

So basically that leaves travel as the conversation topic, then... ;)

Or the weather, or the kids who AREN'T smart or successful. 😁

We wouldn't share a table because the conversations typically do get uncomfortable. In addition, sometimes table mates are late and the group has to wait until all have arrived until the waiters take your order. Some people also do not notify the staff that they will be dining in a specialty restaurant and again all get held up. If a person smells of perfume, it makes me sick also have sat with a man who had BO! But actually the perfume was worse. IMO best to dine at a table for two. If you meet people you find interesting, dine with them at a specialty restaurant or at dinner or breakfast.

The exception is if we travel with friends or relatives.

Table for two for us too. I don't mind so much meeting new people and chatting over dinner, but most of the time I don't want to be "on", if you know what I mean, especially after a hard port day.

That aside, I really don't like being at a round for 8 and having to try and make conversation with folks on the other side of the table - most of the time you can't hear them and they can't hear you (and there is nothing wrong with my hearing).

Or art, or music, or history, or philosophy, or architecture, or weather phenomena, or urban planning, or animal training, or sailing, or cuisine, or political theory (as opposed to personal political opinion) or any of a multitude of other possibilities.

Perhaps the knee-jerk reluctance of people to expose themselves to opportunities for civil conversation (such as large tables on cruise ships) has led to their diminished ability to engage in it.

we were driving from Miami to San Fran due to a work transfer

about half way thru the LONG drive 6yoa dd says "I can't wait to get there and see my friends."

"Sweetheart, what friends, we've never been there before?"

"Oh, I haven't met them yet, but I know they're there."

From the mouths of babes

We've always loved large tables and the chance to get to know friends we'd not met yet.

happy to say that our kids (adults now) make friends easily ... but are also wise enuf to have friends and FRIENDS knowing the difference from their experiences ....

and we still enjoy asking for a group table when we cruise.

No, not every experience has been a winner ..... but we are over .500 and will keep trying.

p.s.

when we got to San Fran and the truck arrived with the goods, she headed down the block, knocking on doors ....

"Hi, I'm Amy, do you have any kids my age who'd like to play?"

She was with a new crowd by the end of the day ...

Perhaps the knee-jerk reluctance of people to expose themselves to opportunities for civil conversation (such as large tables on cruise ships) has led to their diminished ability to engage in it.
Or perhaps it is the judgmentalism of so many of those with whom they are seated.