We want to go on a cruise!

Hello all!

My 9yr old son is obsessed with cruise ships and wants to go on a cruise! His favorite ship is Harmony of the Seas. My husband and I wanted to surprise him and take him on a cruise. We were thinking right after Christmas and to the Caribbean. Is that a good time to go weather wise? Also, are there all inclusive cruises we should look at? My son has done a ton of research and I have just started to look at ports, itineraries, etc. Would love any advice! Thanks in advance!

January is a great time to cruise the Caribbean. Earlier in the month tends to have better pricing. Early January departures can be a bit cool on the first day but it quickly warms up as the ship moves further south.

Harmony is an Oasis class ship, so you might also want to take a look at Oasis and Allure itineraries. In the fall of 2018 the newest Oasis class ship, Symphony, will start cruising the Caribbean.

Glad the OP asked for a geography lesson 🤔 Hope she knows the Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean are two different locations 😱

OP....your son will LOVE the Oasis class of ships!!! You certainly picked a great time of the year also!!!

All of the RCL Oasis class ship departures will be from the SouthEastern Florida Coast. The weather will only get warmer as you go south.

As for the time of year, you and thousands of other parents are taking their children, and other family members, on cruises starting just before Christmas and continuing until College returns to session (mid January). This means slightly higher prices during that period and larger crowds. Do not fret, as popular as the Oasis class ships they are still very large and can easily handle the extra passengers. As a rule the newest ships command the highest prices during vacation breaks and the Harmony is very new. But the new slides and other features make certain that your son will not be disappointed with one of the slightly older ships of the class.

Be sure and book your travel early, get trip insurance, and start packing.

TIP #1. If you are flying, consider arriving to Florida the day before. Booking air and hotel with RCL will help make your trip stress free and make bad weather elsewhere in the USA a non-factor. RCL ChoiceAir is a life saver and usually a $ saver. Plus you get to sleep late before getting on the ship.

TIP #2. Book with a travel agent if this is your first cruise. they will keep you from overlooking travel items. have them take care of all transfers ahead of time.

TIP #3. Make your dinner and entertainment reservations online. They open up for online booking about 3 months before sail date. Different ships have different lead times.

Tip #4. Enroll your child in the Adventure Ocean Youth Program. He will be a Voyager. That is a really great program. In fact it is Award Winning.

TIP #5. Take advantage of the Dreamworks Picture shoots, parades and breakfasts. Even I, of advancing age, like to see Shrek and Fiona and my favorite: the Penguin Commander.

There are lots of other New to Cruising tips on this website.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and RCL.

Remember the Oasis and Allure are pretty much the same ship as the Harmony except no Abis slide. The thing is in late Dec the Ask Mary if she wants the opening Thursday July 20th at 12:00 noon? Or you can gave the appointmentOasis is over hundreds PP

Less. You could take the money saved and do some great excursions. Also you might find better prices on the Week before Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

As to the ship expenses, if you don't mind drinking water, some juices at the Lido at breakfast, coffee, tea, milk -- those are free. But if you want sodas, alcoholic drinks, bottled water -- then you pay for them.

Also remember that you have to pay gratuities.

You may want to check out the RCI board and ask questions there.

Hello all!

My 9yr old son is obsessed with cruise ships and wants to go on a cruise! His favorite ship is Harmony of the Seas. My husband and I wanted to surprise him and take him on a cruise. We were thinking right after Christmas and to the Caribbean. Is that a good time to go weather wise? Also, are there all inclusive cruises we should look at? My son has done a ton of research and I have just started to look at ports, itineraries, etc. Would love any advice! Thanks in advance!

There are plenty of wonderful cruises, either western or eastern Caribbean, if it's your first? You MIGHT want to consider a five day, just to see if it's you 'cup of tea'(and his).If, he's into Disney then there's always DCL (Disney cruise line) but Disney can be a little pricey for your first outing. But I'm sure RCL has a great child's program also. The weather should be beautiful! (hopefully). the hurricane season's over, usually by November. Welcome to Cruise Critic !! If, you decide to go gave a Fantastic CRUISE !!

Mac

Glad the OP asked for a geography lesson Hope she knows the Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean are two different locations

OP....your son will LOVE the Oasis class of ships!!! You certainly picked a great time of the year also!!!

Not to mention that Harmony doesn't go to Bermuda and no cruise ship goes there in January as it is off season! But the post count continues to grow.....:rolleyes:

But agree with the ship choice and time of year to go. Enjoy!

Color me confused!

The OP does not mention a single island, just says the "Caribbean". So why are there all these posts about Bermuda???

The first mention I see of "Bermuda" is a post cautioning the OP not to confuse it with Caribbean islands . . . say what?

Do any Oasis class ships visit Bermuda in the next two years? Not according to the RCI cruise search engine.

Color me confused!

The OP does not mention a single island, just says the "Caribbean". So why are there all these posts about Bermuda???

The first mention I see of "Bermuda" is a post cautioning the OP not to confuse it with Caribbean islands . . . say what?

Do any Oasis class ships visit Bermuda in the next two years? Not according to the RCI cruise search engine.

Read again more closely. The comments about Bermuda were similar to yours challenging why it was mentioned in the first place. As you imply it was not relevant to the OP's question. As to Oasis class ships visiting Bermuda, my response indicated that they do not. I mentioned Harmony as that was the ship referenced by the OP.

Again not relevant to this thread, but to your reference about the next two year's schedules, in fact it is extremely unlikely that they will ever go to Bermuda based on their size and entrance channel limitations. Having to dredge was the reason Quantum ended up in Asia and Anthem was delayed in sailing there.

The poster who opened up the reference to Bermuda is notorious for irrelevant, inaccurate, and misleading information in most of their posts, thus sparking the comments.

Well, I am going to change the subject. I am glad that the 9y/o is crazy to cruise. But, I would not choose the newest and biggest for your/his first cruise. I would start much smaller, with the older ships of any line. I would look for an itinerary you would like, and a port that is easiest to sail from. If you need to fly, it can double the cost... Every ship, even the smallest, is HUGE. the boy is not going to need all the bells and whistles of the biggest and best. There will be plenty to entertain him on a smaller, less expensive cruise, in addition to the islands you will be visiting. Start small and work up. EM

Well, I am going to change the subject. I am glad that the 9y/o is crazy to cruise. But, I would not choose the newest and biggest for your/his first cruise. I would start much smaller, with the older ships of any line. I would look for an itinerary you would like, and a port that is easiest to sail from. If you need to fly, it can double the cost... Every ship, even the smallest, is HUGE. the boy is not going to need all the bells and whistles of the biggest and best. There will be plenty to entertain him on a smaller, less expensive cruise, in addition to the islands you will be visiting. Start small and work up. EM

Thanks for getting the thread back on track - and you comments are good ones. :)

As for the time of year, you and thousands of other parents are taking their children, and other family members, on cruises starting just before Christmas and continuing until College returns to session (mid January). This means slightly higher prices during that period and larger crowds.

Actually, the first week or two in January is often cheaper than late January and early February.

Hello all!

How brilliant is that? I had to wait till I was 40 to take my first cruise:D. In all honesty at 9 years old on a ship like Harmony I think your son would love the ship if it was cruising through the Arctic circle. Go ahead and do it and have a great time.

If he loves the Harmony, take him on the Harmony! I have not been on an RCI ship, but have friends who have, and they love them! Seems to be so much to do, especially if you have youngsters with you. Why not look at prices in January, which is when we've always gone, and give this to him as a Christmas present. Take him out of school for a week if that's ok. Travel enriches the mind, and my parents never had issues with taking me out of school for a vacation. Book an oceanview or balcony so he can see the water, and the ship pulling into and out of port. The Caribbean is beautiful in January, although more northern ports, like Ft Lauderdale, Miami, and Bahamas can be a bit cool. I love St Thomas, and if he likes Star Wars, go to St Maarten and visit the That Yoda Guy museum. Have a wonderful time.