I was declined boarding and now I found I was right and the cruise company was wrong

princess C,is bad

This maybe not be a problem for so many of you , but it is the principle that matters.

I was declined boarding the Caribbean Princess in Southampton, England because I didn't have a Visa for Ireland. I asked if I can stay on board during the stop in Ireland and I was declined that too. I am not an American citizen yet but all my family is. That was the worst day for all of us.

We were told by princess cruises staff that there was nothing to be done, so I kissed them goodbye , paid a hefty penalty for the Airline and a hotel in London to go home.

After the harsh and devastating situation, I sent an inquiry to the Irish Immigration Visa services in Dublin and the answer was(I didn't need a Visa if I would stayed on board) :o. I contacted Princess cruise post-cruise services, I was giving 3 reasons turned to be incorrect. I asked to talk to a different person or a supervisor I was told only one person will handle the complain and I can't talk to anybody else!

Please please tell me what to do? This is been very hard on all of us. :loudcry:

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Interesting first post.

The problem with your issue is that no cruise line is going to make sure you stay on the ship. So, you say you aren't going ashore, but the cruise line is not going to lock you on board. This is common in many countries in the world.

Did you research this before leaving on your cruise? It is the responsibility of every passenger to make sure that they have all the correct visas/passports, I.D. etc for every country that the ship will call on. The cruiseline cannot be responsible for keeping you onboard. No cruiseline would have allowed you to board without the proper documentation, not just Princess. Please read your passenger contract and you will see all this is explained in detail.

Sorry this happened to you, but you can't blame Princess. Next time, please do your homework and then check it again. Countries change entry requirements all the time and it's up to us to have our ducks in a row.

This maybe not be a problem for so many of you , but it is the principle that matters.

I was declined boarding the Caribbean Princess in Southampton, England because I didn't have a Visa for Ireland. I asked if I can stay on board during the stop in Ireland and I was declined that too. I am not an American citizen yet but all my family is. That was the worst day for all of us.

We were told by princess cruises staff that there was nothing to be done, so I kissed them goodbye , paid a hefty penalty for the Airline and a hotel in London to go home.

After the harsh and devastating situation, I sent an inquiry to the Irish Immigration Visa services in Dublin and the answer was(I didn't need a Visa if I would stayed on board) :o. I contacted Princess cruise post-cruise services, I was giving 3 reasons turned to be incorrect. I asked to talk to a different person or a supervisor I was told only one person will handle the complain and I can't talk to anybody else!

Please please tell me what to do? This is been very hard on all of us. :loudcry:

I always feel this is something that should have been discussed with a TA. Did you use one? I certainly hope Princess refunded your fare. Another thing..Did you have "good" travel insurance? If you had the proper insurance, submit a claim. If not, ''Ohhh Well". You're stuck with this one, sorry.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Interesting first post.

The problem with your issue is that no cruise line is going to make sure you stay on the ship. So, you say you aren't going ashore, but the cruise line is not going to lock you on board. This is common in many countries in the world.

Actually , they had a form I was suppose to sign it to stay on board when the cruise stop in Le Havre, France

Did you research this before leaving on your cruise? It is the responsibility of every passenger to make sure that they have all the correct visas/passports, I.D. etc for every country that the ship will call on. The cruiseline cannot be responsible for keeping you onboard. No cruiseline would have allowed you to board without the proper documentation, not just Princess. Please read your passenger contract and you will see all this is explained in detail.

Sorry this happened to you, but you can't blame Princess. Next time, please do your homework and then check it again. Countries change entry requirements all the time and it's up to us to have our ducks in a row.

Live & learn is always hard to do, but oh well!

Cruiser Bruce beat me to it. The cruise lines I've sailed have the same practice. If you are on a vessel the company (and ship's master) are both responsible for assurance all documentation required of a country are in order prior to disgorging passengers, regardless of duration. The default position of a passenger/cruise ship is all aboard have the option/intent to come ashore.

Promising to stay aboard, regardless of sincerity, places the Master and company at risk of subverting immigration requirements. Short of house arrest, the ship has no other assurance a passenger stays aboard. Even if the Dublin immigration office was correct, this is clearly a ship/company call who boards (weasel words in contract fine print).

As an aside, I am pretty sure you will see the same deposition to your inquiry from cruise lines besides Princess.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I had a UK visa , It was suppose to be all I need. I did make a mistake but after I sent the reply from the Irish immigration to princess, they told me I needed the visa in case of medical emergency ????? If they stop giving me wrong reasons I will give it up, but they are lying

It is very clear in the legal text provided by Princess that it is the passengers responsibility to check all visa requirements. If you don't have the proper visa you will be denied boarding with no refunds.

In your case it appears from what you posted that Princess has a partial, but not full understanding of Ireland's visa requirements as they apply to your passport. It also appears that you have official documentation from the Government of Ireland supporting your position.

I would write a real letter, no phone calls, no e-mail, to Princess Cruise Corporate Legal Department explaining your position as objectively as possible, and include the documentation from the Irish Government. I would also list all my additional incurred expenses and request that you be made whole

I would also change my Cruise Critic ID. Your ID just doesn't look good.

It is very clear in the legal text provided by Princess that it is the passengers responsibility to check all visa requirements. If you don't have the proper visa you will be denied boarding with no refunds.

In your case it appears from what you posted that Princess has a partial, but not full understanding of Ireland's visa requirements as they apply to your passport. It also appears that you have official documentation from the Government of Ireland supporting your position.

I would write a real letter, no phone calls, no e-mail, to Princess Cruise Corporate Legal Department explaining your position as objectively as possible, and include the documentation from the Irish Government. I would also list all my additional incurred expenses and request that you be made whole

I would also change my Cruise Critic ID. Your ID just doesn't look good.

Appreciate the advise, I will do that. Thank you

Just want to mention that the P.C. post-cruiseservices told me Princess didn’t deny me boarding it was Immigration. That isway I contacted the Irish Immigration.

I also asked when I was in Southampton if I can boardand get of the ship the last stop before Ireland also denied

The last thing after I got the reply from the Irishimmigration that I didn’t need the visa if I stayed on board, I was told Ineeded the visa in case of medical emergency.

I wish Princess cruises will be forthcoming , they domake doubt everything now

I'm very confused - we sailed (using a US Passport) on the Caribbean Princess out of Southampton last August; our itinerary included Dublin, Cork, and Belfast as well as many other ports in Europe, Norway, Iceland, and the US. We needed no visa for any port or to board the ship. Has something changed in the last year that we need to know about for our next trip?

I'm very confused - we sailed (using a US Passport) on the Caribbean Princess out of Southampton last August; our itinerary included Dublin, Cork, and Belfast as well as many other ports in Europe, Norway, Iceland, and the US. We needed no visa for any port or to board the ship. Has something changed in the last year that we need to know about for our next trip?

The OP has not yet mentioned what passport he/she was travelling on...... that's what I have asked them.....

The ship tracks you and registers each time you leave and return. Its not like it would be difficult fort hem to know if you were getting off in Ireland. Princess made a horrible mistake which they are unlikely to easily acknowledge since it will cost them money. Keep after them and hire a lawyer it they persist in denying wrongdoing.

Here's the problem, while visas are granted by the Irish Naturalization and Immigration Service, the actual clearance of the ship at the port, when it first arrives in Ireland is the responsibility of the Garda (Irish National Police). The actual branch of the Garda is the GNIB (Garda National Immigration Bureau) (http://www.garda.ie). You would need to get word from them, not the Immigration Service, as to whether or not the Garda can clear a ship with a passenger who does not have a required visa. Much like US CBP, the agents on scene also have a lot of discretion as to interpretation of the rules, and the visa service may not be fully aware of the Garda's requirements for ships. While both agencies fall under the Ministry of Justice, Equality, and Law Reform, they are two totally separate organizations.

Regarding promising to not get off the ship in a port, once the ship is in port, local laws and regulations apply whether you stay on the ship or disembark. The ship cannot knowingly allow a passenger to avoid or break a law.

No matter what any Princess rep says, the passenger bears the responsibility for making sure they have all of the necessary visas and documentation.

Doesn't matter whether it's Princess, Holland America, Royal Caribbean, etc. They all have to obey all local laws and regulations.

No matter what any Princess rep says, the passenger bears the responsibility for making sure they have all of the necessary visas and documentation.

Totally agree Pam with you and with what all the other posters have said... as a traveler it is YOUR responsibility to research and get what necessary visas to enter a country.

To the poster of this thread it doesn't matter that your family is American citizens, you needed to find out what you need to enter any countries you are travelling too based on what passport you are holding.

I also wonder if you used a travel agent.... a travel agent would be aware of all requirements and would have advised you.

It's the passenger's fault for not securing the visa. I doubt that insurance would pay. After all, the OP states that family stayed for the cruise since they were U.S. citizens (and hence did not need visas for Ireland). The only thing to do is to double check on visa requirements before the next cruise.

I reside in the US , But I don't have an American passport:D

It is not true that ships can't stop passengers without visa from getting off - cruise cards can be flagged to stop you when leaving the ship.

A few years ago Dubai had a visa requirement for Canadians. We had the choice of not paying and staying on the ship or paying and being allowed to go ashore.

The problem is most countries consider you in the country once in their water and you need the visa whether getting off the ship or not as you are considered in the country, but this is up to each country.