who knuckles the elevator buttons?

luckyinpa

do you knuckle the elevator buttons or take other germ precautions?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. do you knuckle the elevator buttons or take other germ precautions?

• yes i'm careful around elevators, handrails, buffet utensils etc
    • germs, what germs. who cares about germs?

or dont you even think about the 1000 people a day pressing those buttons? do you carefully choose which hand you use at the buffet to hold your plate vs eat out of? do you use the back of your hand or use your long sleeve on handrails?

or none of the above, germs dont concern you.

or dont you even think about the 1000 people a day pressing those buttons? do you carefully choose which hand you use at the buffet to hold your plate vs eat out of? do you use the back of your hand or use your long sleeve on handrails?

I'm definitely a "knuckler", not just on cruises but anytime I use an elevator. I also NEVER touch a bathroom door handle after I wash my hands. I try not to touch the handrails. Can't say that I pay attention to which hand I use at the buffet but now you've given me something else to think about on my next cruise!

I'm definitely a "knuckler", not just on cruises but anytime I use an elevator. I also NEVER touch a bathroom door handle after I wash my hands. I try not to touch the handrails. Can't say that I pay attention to which hand I use at the buffet but now you've given me something else to think about on my next cruise!

oh dont get me started. there's more to think about. there's even the rail you touch at sailaway, at home escalators. then all the arcade games on the ship are no doubt never touched. same with the touch screens to show you around the ship.

at the buffet you can use your sweating drink glass to wipe off the germs and dry with your napkin, and i'm sure whoever rolled all the sliverware into napkins has totally clean hands. and no chance anyone at the table has touched them since. and the backs of the chairs you pull out are clean as well as the theater seating. and the guy that made your sandwich did protect himself with gloves (as well as taking your money with his gloves on - on land this makes me laugh).

one time at my local supermarket i saw someone take the top off salad dressing at the salad bar and put their finger in the bottle to taste it. it doubled my perseverance at never doing a supermarket salad bar. ditto with the closed, but freely opened, roll container where kids open it up and play. id never get candy in one of those 'weigh by the pound places' either.

shaking the captains hand is something i did on my last 2 cruises yet i'm here to tell about it. so we both must wash our hands well. :halo:

i think most of us are thankful we arent like my old boss. before we left to go to the cafeteria he would wash his hands. then go down and we would get our food and sit at the table. then he would go wash his hands. ive also seen him take a styrofoam container and set down napkins under it so the container didnt touch the table.

I do knuckle the elevator buttons, not just on cruise ships.

Handrails - gotta use them (not that stable going up and down stairs).

I hold my plate in both hands when moving about in the buffet, and put it down on the plate rail to serve myself (with dominate hand).

Edited by Shmoo here

I wear an oversized turquoise and silver ring on my middle finger ( D.W. call's it my headknocker ) that usually work's well for button's. :evilsmile:

That would work well for buttons that actually get pushed. But does it work on those that rely on heat transfer (as from a fingertip/knuckle)?

I'm a firm believer in NOT being overly concerned about germs

That said.....

I'm rarely sick

I have built up very high immunities

However...

If my sleeve is available and I feel I should use it I certainly will

If a knuckle will do the trick I'll use it

But that's the extent of my germ phobia. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In the last 40 years I've had the flu once or twice and a noro-type virus once. Now, just to be safe, I wash my hands a lot more.

But, I honestly can't remember how I push the buttons on an elevator, or anywhere for that matter. Once in a while I do kind of wonder about the door handles in the bathrooms. It's a random thought, passes quickly.

Aways use a napkin (paper or linen) round tongs/spoons on buffet. Never touch them without. Always use a paper towel to open door of bathrooms - much prefer ships which leave bathroom doors permanently open.

Noroviruses mutate so frequently, apparently, that you cannot build up immunity so getting norovirus really won't help your future health.

I work in a cancer center in AZ, and as a survivor, I also take some other precautions.

In addition to the suggestions already posted, two of the most germ laden things in any restaurant (either at sea or on land) are the menu and the condiments.

Always keep some hand sanitizer with you and as soon as you decide what to order, put your menu down, don't pick it back up, and use your sanitizer. Also use a napkin to pick up any condiments while eating.

I work in a cancer center in AZ, and as a survivor, I also take some other precautions...

I am also a survivor but also now a patient again, sadly, so I read the menu, order, and then go wash my hands after that. We try to be careful but it's inevitable how many germs are all around us. I mean, taking precautions is one thing but then ask yourself how many people have touched your cutlery before you? And your water glass? I mean, you could go insane thinking about it, so I try not to. :o;p:D

I'm not fanatic about it, but when I take time to think I usually do try to avoid touching common surfaces. Probably the one case where I am somewhat obsessed is never touching the doorknob of a public bathroom after washing my hands (which I always do) because I have seen enough grubby slobs leave without washing.

I have difficulty understanding why two people who use the same habits and precautions in the same cabin don't both become Ill with noro. One does and the other doesn't.

Wouldn't that indicate some activity is aided by ones immune system?

The same would apply to almost all ailments and diseases.

I don't touch public bathroom door handles after washing my hands, and I try to avoid licking hand rails. Aside from that, I don't avoid touching common surfaces. What's the point? The world isn't sterile, as much as the germaphobes would wish otherwise. With all the avoidance attempts and overuse of "sanitizers" it's no wonder so many otherwise healthy people have weak immune systems. Live your life. Wash your hands. Repeat.