Ladies Shoes for eveneing wear

Zombatar

Just looking up what to pack for our forthcoming Caribbean cruise and we noticed that there is a note that says ladies may only wear flat or low heeled shoes on board, rather than the more formal shoe with a high heel. Can anybody tell us if this is correct?

I take a mixture of flats/sandals for day wear....for evenings it's also a mixture of flats and medium heels.....if the weather is a bit choppy you'll be safer in low heels but can always take them off to negotiate your way back to your suite!

😊

I think the "flat or low heeled shoes" is more of a safety based recommendation than a dress code. It is a ship and while we've been blessed with relatively calm seas on our Silversea cruises obviously you can have rough days and nights. Anyhow, while my wife has kind of put together a collection of dressy flat and low heel shoes you're going to see a wide variance from that to extreme high heels. The language is "should" not "must" wear flat or low heeled shoes.

Edited by Randyk47

No. Women wear all kinds of heels.

Personally, as a guy, I never take any high heels on a cruise. But, that's just me. Kind of just an old-fashioned man. Agree that it is more just a "safety suggestion" versus anything that is enforced or required.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 185,635 views for this posting.

Personally, as a guy, I never take any high heels on a cruise. But, that's just me. Kind of just an old-fashioned man. Agree that it is more just a "safety suggestion" versus anything that is enforced or required.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 185,635 views for this posting.

Considering I sometimes arrive at our embarkation port only to find some dress heels in my luggage some might wonder. :o:confused::D Wife always presses her luggage weight allowance to the max so I'm never surprised at what and how much sneaks into my bags.

I have been going crazy looking for white kitten heel slide in sandals or dressy mules. My cruise clothes are all deep blue, white and tan. I figured I could pack light and get away with taking only two pairs of shoes if I can find this basic but elusive style.

Alas, I'll probably end up taking many pairs of 3.5" heels that I already have.

Considering I sometimes arrive at our embarkation port only to find some dress heels in my luggage some might wonder. Wife always presses her luggage weight allowance to the max so I'm never surprised at what and how much sneaks into my bags.

YES, my wife does that same "trick" to me in wanting some added shoes to go in my bag as she runs out of space. In the words of former President Bill Clinton: "I feel your pain, brother!"

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 219,201 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Where does it say women must wear low heels? That is new to me!

Hi Emtbsam - it's mentioned in the setting sail guide. I think the OP misunderstood the recommendation to apply ship-wide. To me, it's only saying to wear flat or low-heeled shoes on deck, perhaps so you don't slip and fall overboard?

Quoted from here, page 5: http://static.silversea.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/DO16082_Setting-Sail-Guide-Classic.pdf

Clothing aboard the ship

Shipboard attire ranges from casual to formal. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime aboard ship or ashore and consists of standard sports outfits as worn at five-star resorts. Shoes should be flat or low heeled for deck activities. Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal...[truncated so this doesn't turn into a dress code thread]

So this is not a ship-wide prohibition, nor is it even a requirement. It's just a suggestion to wear something that makes it easy to keep your balance while on deck. OP, is this what you read?

On a Caribbean cruise apart from my deck and evening shoes I always throw in a very old pair of flat shoes as the rain can be very heavy in a number of ports. It saves new shoes being ruined when wading through puddles and drains. Some of the islands have little in the way of engineering and some passengers have said to me "I wish I had thought of that" The old shoes then get left behind in the trash.

On a Caribbean cruise apart from my deck and evening shoes I always throw in a very old pair of flat shoes as the rain can be very heavy in a number of ports. It saves new shoes being ruined when wading through puddles and drains. Some of the islands have little in the way of engineering and some passengers have said to me "I wish I had thought of that" The old shoes then get left behind in the trash.

Great idea!