Barcelona Hotel

737swapilot

We like to stay at Hotel Colón, in the Gothic Quarter, two blocks off of Las Ramblas, and in front of Barcelona's gothic cathedral (not Gaudís modern one). The plaza between the cathedral and the hotel is a very interesting venue for impromptu musicians and craft vendors. You would find scrumptious tapa places in the side streets nearby. The Gothic Quarter and nearby El Born Section are what the real Barcelona is about.

I stayed at Hotel Pulitzer last month and would recommend to you:)......omg....we are in September..........it was a month

ago that I sailed:eek:.....where does the time go?

Have a great cruise.........I was on SPIRIT......she is a beautiful ship!

Loved El Palace very much - it oozes with charm & character but a little off the beaten track. Have also stayed at Le Meridien for location on Ramblas but it's sort of cookie-cutter. Staying later this month at Grand Hotel Central which gets very good notices & recommended by our TA & I think is close to the Colon which others have mentioned. So many choices.......

If this is your first time in Barcelona I'd avoid the Arts simply because of location which is not central. It's either a very long walk or a taxi ride every time you want to get to the central part of town. Check out the Mandarin Oriental or even the Majestic, both on Passeig de Gracia, a great location very close to several Gaudi houses. The Palace is also conveniently located though the rooms can have funny configurations.

Loved El Palace very much - it oozes with charm & character but a little off the beaten track. Have also stayed at Le Meridien for location on Ramblas but it's sort of cookie-cutter. Staying later this month at Grand Hotel Central which gets very good notices & recommended by our TA & I think is close to the Colon which others have mentioned. So many choices.......

FWIW, my policy on what criteria to use is simple.

If it's a single night ... or two ... in a place I haven't been to before, it is all about location, location, location. If it's three or more nights then comfort plays a bigger part of the overall compromise.

The Meridien is right on Ramblas and just a few yards for example from the market etc. It's also great to people watch the changing theatre of Ramblas from your suite or rooms window.

This is our second time to this wonderful city, plus the ship is spending our last night in port so we will have a total of 3 days to explore some more. I think I am looking to stay near l'example as the last time we stayed right next las rambles.

I was also told to look at "The One Barcelona " hotel. anybody have any experience with this property.

A few years ago we stayed two nights at The 1898 Hotel. Perfectly located on Las Ramblas and near everything except the Gaudi Cathedral. You'll need a taxi to get there..lots to see on the way and quite an inexpensive ride.

The hotel is terrific. It has a spectacular, open, roof deck bar which is part of a tapas type casual restaurant. The views of the city from this deck are fabulous. It was cool when we visited, but in warm weather there is a beautiful pool just for hotel guests. The bar/restaurant is open to the public. A part of the building, but separate from the Hotel is a street level bistro type restaurant which we sort of stumbled upon. We sat at the bar and definitely felt part of the action as we watched the cooking done directly in front of us. Delicious food!

Back to our accommodations;

We booked a Superior room. It was attractive, very clean, and atmospheric in a good way. Highly recommended.