How hard is the ship laundry on your clothes?

gvre

My underwear & socks get washed in the sink using their bathroom soap because if you have them wash it, they'll be shrunk for sure.

I am not sure I see a problem here.

Since most passengers lose weight on a cruise, this way the clothes fit perfectly when the cruise is over.

We use the laundry on cruises longer than 7 days as we can survive for that long without laundry. We have not had any real problems but we only use the laundry for every day items mostly cotton. They are hard on buttons and zippers. We have had buttons mashed and the pull part of the zipper removed. We usually do not cruise with expensive clothing but occasionally do have some which we do not send to the laundry. One thing I have noticed however on longer cruise is that the shrink my pants because it certainly cannot be that I have gained weight. ;)

Since becoming elite about 6 or 7 years ago, I have sent quite a few of my "everyday" clothes to the laundry, and SO FAR, everything has come back in the same condition as when I sent them.

Specifically, as to the laundry on the Pacific .... as recently as this past December, in 16 days onboard I sent a few thing 4 different times, and the laundry service was fine, with nothing coming back damaged.

It's the elite perk I love because having free laundry means I can pack my suitcases a little lighter.

No matter how lucky anyone has been in the past, it's only a matter of time before something of value gets ruined. :eek:

Are you ready for that time when your favorite blouse gets shrink or has holes ripped into it? :(

Don't worry, Princess will reimburse you a few dollars for the damage. ;)

No matter how lucky anyone has been in the past, it's only a matter of time before something of value gets ruined. :eek:

Are you ready for that time when your favorite blouse gets shrink or has holes ripped into it? :(

Because that never, ever happens at land based dry cleaners or even at home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have the same problem with pants shrinking after 5-6 days but it never was the laundry it was my expanding waist!

No never, not an expanding waistline. It is not your fault, and the executive chef has taught his entire staff to remove calories from food before it is served.

It is the cabin elves that infest the ship. Every night they sneak in to your cabin and take in every single seam in your clothing by 1/16th of an inch, and they do it every single night - every night. The effect is just awful. This is the true, official explanation of that condition known, unaffectionately, as Sea Swell. I say it is about time the cabin elves were shanghaied on a deserted island forever.

Yes. I am ready to receive something damaged just like we do at home from the dry cleaners. The convenience of having free laundry, especially when we were gone for 17 nights last month, made it worth the risk. I don't take expensive irreplaceable clothes on a cruise.

I pack enough for everyday so I do not have to do laundry. The only time I sent out, because I am Elite, was a pair of white shorts that I got gravy on at lunch. This was on the Royal, the shorts came back the next day, spot removed and no damage at all.

For us one of the keys to cruising has become the simplified packing of travel friendly clothing. While I am not elite I have used laundry on Princess (and Carnival where I am platinum so it's free) and never had an issue. But, we only send slacks, casual shirts, underwear, socks etc.

Lingerie can easily be washed in the sink as well as my dresses and causal tops because they are travel friendly and do not wrinkle. Just hang them on the clothes line. But honestly we have never had to do this. When we are retired and take longer cruises, I am sure it will because we refused to increase our luggage beyond our backpacks and 22" rollers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It seems lately( Last ship Dawn Princess) when we send out our laundry on the ships they come back scorched, buttons melted, and other stuff. Does anyone have any recent experience on the Pacific Princess?

Thanks Debbie

Even though we have free laundry, we always do our own on a sea day. It's just a personal choice to do it ourselves. If something happens to our clothing, I would have to hike down to guest services, and deal with the hassle of them replacing the clothing. Isn't worth it to me to get frustrated and aggravated.

We used the laundry service extensively on our last cruise on the CB. We were in a suite so laundry was free for one day service. I don't know if this factored into anything as far as the quality of the service (being suite passengers). We always did one bag for laundering and one bag for cleaning. Those are two separate types of laundry. Not sure exactly, but I assumed "cleaning" was their version of dry cleaning. Nothing was damaged and nothing was shrunk. We were pretty happy! Went home with very little laundry to do.

Princess offers free laundry if you are in a full suite. We enjoyed it very much and didn't experience any problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

I think you missed the joke - about land-based service. Colo is a very frequent poster on these boards and often injects his sense of humor into them. There isn't much about Princess he doesn't already know.

Even though we have free laundry, we always do our own on a sea day. It's just a personal choice to do it ourselves. If something happens to our clothing, I would have to hike down to guest services, and deal with the hassle of them replacing the clothing. Isn't worth it to me to get frustrated and aggravated.

Exactly how we feel. It's bo big deal for the small amount of time spent in the laundry room. 😉