Would you move?

yuvraj

DH is very tall. We get to the theatre early so people behind him KNOW they are sitting behind a tall person and can adjust accordingly. If we moved near show time, whoever we move in front of would be suddenly inconveinced.

How very thoughtful of you and your husband. Perhaps we could all learn something here.

We would have moved. It's a general seating environment. Meaning the seats were not assigned or purchased by row/seat. It's also just for an hour or so and finally it's also just a cruise ship show. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it sounds like the other cruisers were in a group and wanted to all sit together. Accommodating a fellow cruiser's request for something of this nature shouldn't have been that big of a deal.

We rarely move. I do not leave single seats empty (as i feel that is also rude) but as yo uahd a pair on what side and even more on the other that is not an issue here.

DH is very tall. We get to the theatre early so people behind him KNOW they are sitting behind a tall person and can adjust accordingly. If we moved near show time, whoever we move in front of would be suddenly inconveinced.

If we were in a venue with a steep enough slant not to matter---well we would likely move to equally good seats to allow a couple with kids to all sit together or a coupel or gourping of 3 friends. But, not to allow some huge party ot not split up--it is not as if you should be chatting with on anther during the show anyway

Last paragraph of the above post makes a lot of sense to me. :D

I, like a lot of others, fall on both sides. In general, sliding over a couple seats isn't a big deal unless it puts you behind an obstruction or a taller person. And it is courteous.

With that said, I always cruise in a group...anywhere from 10 to 50 friends and family. As a group, we always try to get there early and get our seats. We also have some common sense and realize sometimes it's not always possible, especially if we arrive close to show time. And in those instances we just sit wherever there are seats, we never ask people to move, as we know we should've gotten there sooner. So if they were not polite...demanding, rude, etc. I would've just said no thank you. And I am growing increasingly intolerant of entitled people who expect everyone to cater to their needs. If it was that important that they sat together, they should've made it their priority to get there sooner. As the saying goes, "procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

Above all else...as another poster mentioned...ALWAYS FOLLOW THE WIFE'S LEAD :o:')

I'm not sure which is worse, that this was a big deal for someone at the time, or that it is still being talked about later! It's a vacation, people! Relax a little! Put me solidly in the "sure, I'd scoot over" category. Having said that, don't you dare use my post as ammunition to tell your wife that the internet agrees with you and that she was wrong! I'm not getting caught up in that!

I'm not sure which is worse, that this was a big deal for someone at the time, or that it is still being talked about later! It's a vacation, people! Relax a little! Put me solidly in the "sure, I'd scoot over" category. Having said that, don't you dare use my post as ammunition to tell your wife that the internet agrees with you and that she was wrong! I'm not getting caught up in that!

I think the crux of this thread is that the women was overly assertive ( bullying) in expecting the op to move.

If someone asks politely most of us would oblige but i for one do not accept someone's bullying attitude by them to get what they want.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Wife's stubbornness and the persistence of the person asking made this situation more uncomfortable than it needed to be.

I don't believe your wife was stubborn. She was comfortable with the choice of the seats, and there were other seats around you that those other people could sit in. So, I wouldn't have moved either, especially since the request was forceful.

The person's attitude and the way they ask would be the determining factor if I would move or not. If they are nice and use the world "please", I'd be more than happy to move, but if they said "could you move over" or "move over" or "we need you to move over", they had better be ready to split up. And if I did move and they didn't say "thank you", I would say "you are welcome".

Except that it was reserved seating for suite guests, and they were wanting them to move for non-suite guests.

OP also indicated that the time for the seats to be released for general seating had come, which is why they were being asked to move over.

Based on how the "request" was made, I don't think I would have moved either, although we usually are willing to shift a seat or two for a reasonable polite request.

This is like cruise fares. The members of the 'move requistor's' group already had seats elsewhere that presumably they chose, and which they satisfied with at the time. Now the 'move requestor' wants to play upgrade fairy for her non-suite friends at OP's expense. There is no way I would move so that people who already have their own seats could have my seat instead. Especially when the very reason I have that seat is because I paid a bunch of extra money to get a suite, and the perk of sitting there.

That said, my wife and I like to sit towards the back, on the aisle, so for me the point is moot.

The person's attitude and the way they ask would be the determining factor if I would move or not. If they are nice and use the world "please", I'd be more than happy to move, but if they said "could you move over" or "move over" or "we need you to move over", they had better be ready to split up. And if I did move and they didn't say "thank you", I would say "you are welcome".[/quote]

...and they probably still wouldn't have a clue...

My wife is small too so why should she move if we were there early and a move meant her view would be compromised.

Have you heard the saying: "Happy wife, happy life/" :D

In a word, No, I prrobab ly would hesitate to move in those ccirucmsttances UNLEss THERRE WAS ssomeon in their group who claimed a disab ility as a reason our seat would be better for them than the ones that were unoccupied. I would move for a disabled person.

Have you heard the saying: "Happy wife, happy life/" :D

In a word, No, I prrobab ly would hesitate to move in those ccirucmsttances UNLEss THERRE WAS ssomeon in their group who claimed a disab ility as a reason our seat would be better for them than the ones that were unoccupied. I would move for a disabled person.

If someone is polite and respectful no problem but if someone tries to bully or are being arrogant they can get lost.

Thank you for the replies. I would move unless there is a good reason not to, in which case I would explain why I am not prepared to move.

Wife's stubbornness and the persistence of the person asking made this situation more uncomfortable than it needed to be.

There is a good reason not to move and I don't believe the requestor deserves an explanation. The good reason is that one of the requestees was happy with their seat and didn't want to move.

Had the person asking entered with a group, (rather than assembling a group from parties already seated), I suspect the reaction would be different. But essentially you were being asked to inconvenience yourselves simply to satisfy the whim of a stranger.

The person asking could have easily accomplished her goal by showing up earlier. But that would have inconvenienced her. It seems to me that she was being selfish, and I do not like to reward such behavior.

My flight home from Miami in May of this year, the woman in the middle seat (we were 3 women across) asked if I was traveling alone. I said yes. She asked, "would you mind moving to the seat up the aisle (6 seats forward) so my friend can sit with me"? Is said, "yes, I do mind. And no, I do not wish to move". This woman proceeded to state .... 3 times .... "you won't move?" over and over. First: I had my luggage directly over my head. ALL of the bins were STUFFED and I could not move my luggage with me. SO when flight is over, I will either be going 'up' stream like a salmon trying to get my luggage or sitting for ???? a half hour while EVERYONE departs and then I can get my luggage. I did not wish to be put through either scenario.

It would really depend on how the question was asked. If the person was kind and courteous, I would probably move (as long as I wouldn't have a bad view). If the person was demanding, no way would I move. I think in this case, I would agree with your wife.

Why did the person askingyou to move not want the empty seats they wanted you to move to but wanted the ones you and your Dw occupiED? Was there something wrong ab out the seats they asked you to move to that I missed in your OP?

There is a good reason not to move and I don't believe the requestor deserves an explanation. The good reason is that one of the requestees was happy with their seat and didn't want to move.

Had the person asking entered with a group, (rather than assembling a group from parties already seated), I suspect the reaction would be different. But essentially you were being asked to inconvenience yourselves simply to satisfy the whim of a stranger.

The person asking could have easily accomplished her goal by showing up earlier. But that would have inconvenienced her. It seems to me that she was being selfish, and I do not like to reward such behavior.

Very reasonable post.