Would you move?

yuvraj

We've moved a seat or two over before, but would only do so if our view was not compromised--and if we were asked politely.

If the seat I'm moving to has a bad viewing angle, or more, likely someone taller in front of us, then we would not move.

I don't get why 8 or more adults have to sit together anyway. It would be different with a couple and kids, although they could get there earlier too. I do understand that sitting in a theater 30 minutes ahead of time with kids could be iffy!

If I came in to a theater late I would fully expect to take whatever is left. To me that's how it works. I usually arrive early so I can sit exactly where I want.

Many years ago I chose a spot to park on the main street of a small town so we could watch a parade from our car. A woman asked me to back up into a nearby alley so she and her friends could sit with their lawn chairs in that spot, even though there were other spots nearby. I told her I didn't want to and suffice it to say she went a little "postal" on me, calling me a B**** and screaming "But, I asked you!!!!". Guess no one had ever told her no before.

Anyway, someone is free to ask me to move as long as they understand that "yes" is not the only answer to the question. And I probably would move in this situation. But, I am free to say no if I choose, and they are free to get there earlier or take what's left.

We always try to get to the theater early so that we can pick our seats. (We don't leave an empty seat between us and the next person, either.) I also have a very tall hubby, and no one wants to sit behind him, so I think it would be very rude for us to move at the last minute and block someone who thought they were in the clear.

Having said that, if someone asked nicely, and there was a child or disabled person involved, we would probably move over 1 or 2 seats, as long as my view wasn't compromised. While Mr Chew can see over everyone, I need to have a very certain precise angle in order to be able to see properly

Depends where I would have to move to and why. IF there were 3 empty seats next to me and I was asked to move one seat over so a group of 4 could sit together, I probably would. On the other hand, me and partner on occasion have not sat right next to each other. (for whatever reason). Didn't really matter, and why MUST you sit together? Hopefully, you're not going to chit chat with each other all through the performance, so you sit here, I'll sit there and we'll go have a drink after the show!

I am assuming that your wife had a good reason not to move. Depending on the circumstances, I would or wouldn't have moved. Asking for it may even have been a rude thing to do even if asked nicely. I have moved for couples when somebody left one seat instead of two, but 8 late-comers?

If I came in to a theater late I would fully expect to take whatever is left. To me that's how it works. I usually arrive early so I can sit exactly where I want.

Many years ago I chose a spot to park on the main street of a small town so we could watch a parade from our car. A woman asked me to back up into a nearby alley so she and her friends could sit with their lawn chairs in that spot, even though there were other spots nearby. I told her I didn't want to and suffice it to say she went a little "postal" on me, calling me a B**** and screaming "But, I asked you!!!!". Guess no one had ever told her no before.

I like this post. :o

I am able to say No when I think it appropriate. When they look at me blankly recause they did not hear Yes, as they expected.... the next thing I say is>......" Which part of No is confusing you? t the "N or the "O"? tthat does not usually deliver broad smiles to anyone but me. :)

Anyway, someone is free to ask me to move as long as they understand that "yes" is not the only answer to the question. And I probably would move in this situation. But, I am free to say no if I choose, and they are free to get there earlier or take what's left.

Yes ^

So it's a row of 10, six empty seats (1-6), you and your wife (7-8) and two more empty seats (9-10)? They were a group of 8 and wanted to sit together (seats 1-8), putting you and your wife in 9-10?

I can't imagine moving over two seats changing the viewing angle that much. As long as they were somewhat polite, we would move.

Oops. You forgot the tall woman with the big hair in the row in front that would obstruct short wife's view.

I'm all for being polite, but we always arrive early to get the seats we want, especially in a group. And by early, I mean I'm seated at least 30 minutes prior to showtime. So I'm very much of the mind that, if you want to choose, you arrive early, or take what is available. I would never expect others to accommodate my tardiness, so I feel no obligation to accommodate that of others.

I would move if my new seat had just as good of a view. If the new seat had an obstructed view, I wouldn't move. I always arrive at shows 20 to 30 minutes early in order to get good seats. It is extremely rude for a large party of people to arrive at the last minute and ask people to move.

I think it's also rude for people to save more than one seat. I've seen people saving seats for five or six people. It's not that difficult to get to a show early. When people save seats, then the entire time up until the show starts people think the seats are vacant, go to sit down, and are told the seats are saved. It's so rude.

There was a lady saving an entire row in the aqua theater this summer, it was quite annoying to watch her tell every person who tried to sit that she was saving them all. But more annoying that the RC guy manning the velvet rope to the suite seats never said anything to her, despite seeing and hearing it all.

If it was simply an issue that there was a single on each side and they were asking us to move down 1 so two people could sit together I would. But in general, we get to shows early to sit together and choose our seats. I wouldn't appreciate being asked to move by someone who came in at the last minute. As long as there are at least two seats together, their party can split up and take whatever seats are left.

Were these literally the only few seats left or were they simply wanting to sit in a better section? If their choice was to sit together off to the side or have to split up a bit to sit in the middle - I'd be with your wife. Early bird gets the worm.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would like to think that I am a polite and courteous person so if someone asked me to move up a few seats in the theatre, I would happily do so.

When we were asked to move a few seats on our last cruise, I happily moved. My wife, stubbornly refused to do so.

I will present the case and perhaps learned CC folk can share their view on who is right or what you would do.

We were in a group of 4, comfortably seated in the reserved seating area for suites. 6 empty seats on one side of us, 2 on the other. Just before start of show, some fellow passengers asked us to move a couple of seats. Seemed like a reasonable request to me.

My wife objected. Her view was that she was happy with her seat and the view that she had. Plus she was a little annoyed that the people who had asked us to move was simply rounding up their friends who were comfortably seated elsewhere. Some but not all were suite guests so it seemed like an imposition to her. Note that seats in reserved seating area are released to all just before the show.

The person asking us to move was also a little too assertive, almost giving us a directive rather than a polite request which probably didn't help.

So CC folk. What would you do?

I agree with your wife. If they wanted to sit together or certain seats they should have been there earlier. I would have told them sorry, but I'm comfortable here and not moving.

I would move if my new seat had just as good of a view. If the new seat had an obstructed view, I wouldn't move. I always arrive at shows 20 to 30 minutes early in order to get good seats. It is extremely rude for a large party of people to arrive at the last minute and ask people to move.

I think it's also rude for people to save more than one seat. I've seen people saving seats for five or six people. It's not that difficult to get to a show early. When people save seats, then the entire time up until the show starts people think the seats are vacant, go to sit down, and are told the seats are saved. It's so rude.

Yes we have experienced that too.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

On the flip side....I would never dream of asking/telling someone to move so that I could have their seat.

Agree! To ask someone to move is rude. I'm surprised at the number of people who say they would even ask nicely. When they go to the movies do they ask people to move? Just sayin'...:rolleyes: Seats are first come-first served. You don't get there in time, you don't get the seats you want. Doesn't seem to be a difficult concept to grasp. Pretty straight forward.