In bed direction of travel

rivieraraver

We have always had bed by balcony on the port side but for reasons of sun and views this year want to move to a starboard cabin on Reflection. If we have a bed by balcony as usual are we guaranteed to be travelling feet first whilst in bed? We spent one night in a bed by the bathroom due to an issue in our cabin and remember (I think) that we were travelling head first on that occasion. Is there a general rule in this regard? Thanks in anticipation.

There is nothing wrong with this question. It can make a BIG difference for someone that can get seasick. Just like flying. I can't be in a plane where my seat would go "backward". Sorry OP, I do understand your question, but can't answer it. We just got off of the Equinox. We were port side, our bed was by the balcony and we were going the "right" way.

Due to construction of the cabins this changes after each cabin, one has bed by window and facing one direction, the next has both the opposite way, third again like the first and so on. So you need to know details from one cabin and can count down or up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While I can not answer your question specificly, I can til you motion sick is my middle name. On a recent cruise to Greenland my bed was head toward to window (the side of the ship) I didn't have any trouble with my tummy while in bed. As others have said, I could not tell which way the ship was traveling without looking out a window. My guess is you will not even notice while sleeping.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

We have always had bed by balcony on the port side but for reasons of sun and views this year want to move to a starboard cabin on Reflection. If we have a bed by balcony as usual are we guaranteed to be travelling feet first whilst in bed? We spent one night in a bed by the bathroom due to an issue in our cabin and remember (I think) that we were travelling head first on that occasion. Is there a general rule in this regard? Thanks in anticipation.

The staterooms are put together in modules of two with a little alcove. If you take that module from the port side and turn it around and place it on the starboard side, you will have the opposite effect. If you had bed by the balcony on the starboard side, as you are lying in bed, your head would be facing forward, and your feet will be facing aft. It's just the opposite for that module with bed by the bath -- feet facing forward and head facing aft.

Hope this helps in your decision to select a stateroom and answers your question.

Thanks purplsmurf for taking the time to respond to my question and not trying to make me feel stupid. I don't see the point of bothering to post if it's only to ridicule someone. Thanks again 👍

I too want to add that you asked a good question.

I know many people who will only book rooms if the head of the bed is facing in one specific direction.

Keith

Let me add a little twist (no pun) to the situation. We cruise only in aft cabins. Therefore our beds are turned 90° and we are moving sideways. In either case, that is our “normal.” Whether feet first or head first comes up, and only obliquely, when talk about that final exit from our house (Feet first).

Let me add a little twist (no pun) to the situation. We cruise only in aft cabins. Therefore our beds are turned 90° and we are moving sideways. In either case, that is our “normal.” Whether feet first or head first comes up, and only obliquely, when talk about that final exit from our house (Feet first).

Interesting that this is your normal.

I always choose balcony, with the exception of my last, short cruise to Cuba. With only one sea day and endless sightseeing in port, I chose an ocean view, with the head of the bed under the window.

I can't say that I ever noticed a movement difference of feet or head facing forward in a balcony, but on this last trip, I definitely felt the movement of sleeping sideways.

It didn't keep me from sleeping, but I did notice the difference in equilibrium.

So OP is not nuts for asking, if it is important to him/her.

If you have a aft cabin you will be traveling sideways. The only difference would be what side of your body would be the leading side. So getting one of those would be your safest options.

I don’t know how you can feel what way the ship is going as it doesn’t move that fast. Other than being familiar with the deck plan I can’t tell or feel what way is forward or aft when trying to figure out what direction to go to get somewhere.

This has been discussed before so doing a search you may get some more info about your situation and I am sure that many others have the same feeling about motion.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞😅

Edited by miched

I've never been able to "feel" the direction of travel on a cruise ship...even when going at a good clip! I can in a plane, car, train, fishing boat, etc...but not on a cruise ship!

Neither can anyone else. At constant velocity there is no force acting on a body. What we refer to as a "sense of motion" is actually the force of acceleration acting on the body (remember F=MA?). Since unlike planes, cars, fishing boats, etc., cruise ships accelerate very slowly (due to their size) the acceleration force is very small. Once they achieve cruising speed there is no longer any forward acceleration or resulting force. The motion you do feel on a cruise ship is pitch and roll due to wave action. This is what causes sea sickness. It is the result of angular acceleration as the waves cause the ship to roll side to side, and front to back (as opposed to linear acceleration due to speeding up or slowing down). The truth is that, without any external reference, when you're on a cruise ship in heavy seas you're being jostled about but you can't tell if the boat is at a dead stop or cruising at normal speed.

Neither can anyone else. At constant velocity there is no force acting on a body. What we refer to as a "sense of motion" is actually the force of acceleration acting on the body (remember F=MA?). Since unlike planes, cars, fishing boats, etc., cruise ships accelerate very slowly (due to their size) the acceleration force is very small. Once they achieve cruising speed there is no longer any forward acceleration or resulting force. The motion you do feel on a cruise ship is pitch and roll due to wave action. This is what causes sea sickness. It is the result of angular acceleration as the waves cause the ship to roll side to side, and front to back (as opposed to linear acceleration due to speeding up or slowing down). The truth is that, without any external reference, when you're on a cruise ship in heavy seas you're being jostled about but you can't tell if the boat is at a dead stop or cruising at normal speed.

Many thanks for the excellent information 👍

I am trying to envision cabins layouts from our last few cruises and believe I have this right. On Reflection, we sailed in 1559 - port side with bed near bathroom and the head of the bed was at the forward-facing wall of the csbin. On Equinox, we sailed in 8230 - starboard side of the ship with bed near the bathroom and the head of the bed was on the aft wall of the cabin. Previously, we sailed on Equinox in 7310 - starboard side with the bed near the balcony and the head of the bed was on the forward-facing wall.

Can anyone else confirm my recollections of bed position re: the wall on which the bed is place?

I hope this information is helful

I am trying to envision cabins layouts from our last few cruises and believe I have this right. On Reflection' date=' we sailed in 1559 - port side with bed near bathroom and the head of the bed was at the forward-facing wall of the csbin. On Equinox, we sailed in 8230 - starboard side of the ship with bed near the bathroom and the head of the bed was on the aft wall of the cabin. Previously, we sailed on Equinox in 7310 - starboard side with the bed near the balcony and the head of the bed was on the forward-facing wall.

Can anyone else confirm my recollections of bed position re: the wall on which the bed is place?

I hope this information is helful[/quote']

Your recollection is correct.

I was told there would be no math on CC. ;)

we have always had bed by balcony on the port side but for reasons of sun and views this year want to move to a starboard cabin on reflection. If we have a bed by balcony as usual are we guaranteed to be travelling feet first whilst in bed? We spent one night in a bed by the bathroom due to an issue in our cabin and remember (i think) that we were travelling head first on that occasion. Is there a general rule in this regard? Thanks in anticipation.

what???