Talking a walking stick/crutch onboard RCI ship

ace2542

They would get a Bahamian birth certificate in case of RCI - where the ship is registered. But, they would be US citizens if born to US parents. The US is one of the very few countries where you inherit citizenship simply for being born there.

Interesting. What if the parents were not US citizens? Would they carry only Bahamian citizenship?

The guy sitting at the desk across from me at work seems ill. I am travelling down to the cruise terminal by coach. I fully intended to lie on the form though not like I would get any of the money back is it?

I suspect we might get early boarding because of the crutch another reason why we are taking it.

Can't believe you are having such a hard time getting anyone to take the bait.

I suspect we might get early boarding because of the crutch another reason why we are taking it.

So, wait - you're bringing a crutch because you think it will get you early boarding? I think you need to get over yourself.

So, wait - you're bringing a crutch because you think it will get you early boarding? I think you need to get over yourself.

As someone who does need to use one at times, that hit me wrong too. I'd MUCH rather have full mobility and be able to be in line like everyone else.

Interesting. What if the parents were not US citizens? Would they carry only Bahamian citizenship?

Unlikely anyone would get Bahamian citizenship, only a birth certificate - two different things. Very likely the baby would get the parent's nationality.

you do not get 'early boarding' simply because one of you has a cane. I sure as heck don't get it. you have to REQUEST assisted boarding, which usually requires waiting for someone to take you in a wheelchair and that may or may not result in boarding sooner. in some case you will end up waiting until after the highest tiers have already begun boarding simply because there are not enough crew members/wheelchairs to accommodate everyone along with those people who brought their own scooters/wheelchairs and need to board the same way( elevator or alternate deck)

as for the OTC meds.. why the paranoia? its no different than stocking up for any travel.. whether by land, sea or air. and always less expensive to bring your own rather than pay the tourist prices.

Last time on Cunard we were checked in as soon as we walked into the terminal because of the crutch. We didn't ask for it it just happened. Maybe that will happen again.

A customer of mine when i worked for a high street travel agent was on a cruise ship in eastern med a few years back he bought immodum plus onboard after eating something ashore in Rome and security knocked on his door and locked him the cabin for 2 days and accused of him lying to get onboard. He was thrown off the ship at the next port of call after the sea day he was then banned from the U.S on a later visit because they reported to him for "lying" to get on board the ship . The cruise line denied it but a flag was on his record. There could be more to the story than i have been informed. I know we could not assist in getting money back for either trip. Conclusion certain lines track the purchase of medication items so would they therefore draw conclusions about possession of such items?

As for insurance look at the english woman who visited Disney in Orlando last year suffering from cancer. She had a fall at the theme park and they refuse to pay out for her treatment despite the fact the cancer did not cause the fall.

the nationality of the mother.

Looks like you answered my question!

That's not the case at all and most citizenships aren't matrilineal. Not to go too far afield, there's generally two theories of how citizenship is conferred - jus soli (meaning right of the soil) and jus sanguinis (meaning right of blood). The US, for instance, has some combination thereof. People born on US soil are US citizens under jus soli while children of US citizens born abroad are US citizens under jus sanguinis. No, it doesn't matter if the mother or the father is the citizen, as long as one is a citizen. So it boils down to it would depend on the citizenship(s) of the parent. Let's say a couple - an American father and a Canadian mother - have a child onboard a cruise ship while tied up to the pier in Nassau. The child could claim American and Canadian citizenship straight away based on jus sanguinis and could later apply for Bahamian citizenship under jus soli as Bahamian citizenship law allows somebody born in The Bahamas after July 9, 1973 to non-Bahamian parents to apply for citizenship (although The Bahamas doesn't recognize dual citizenship, so this hypothetical child would have to cede their American and Canadian citizenships).

As for the international waters question, again, it would depend on the parent's citizenship, but there's also a UN Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness which could also come into play. I don't believe either the Bahamas (where all Royal's ships are flagged) or the US are contracting parties to it, though.

That's not the case at all and most citizenships aren't matrilineal. Not to go too far afield, there's generally two theories of how citizenship is conferred - jus soli (meaning right of the soil) and jus sanguinis (meaning right of blood). The US, for instance, has some combination thereof. People born on US soil are US citizens under jus soli while children of US citizens born abroad are US citizens under jus sanguinis. No, it doesn't matter if the mother or the father is the citizen, as long as one is a citizen. So it boils down to it would depend on the citizenship(s) of the parent. Let's say a couple - an American father and a Canadian mother - have a child onboard a cruise ship while tied up to the pier in Nassau. The child could claim American and Canadian citizenship straight away based on jus sanguinis and could later apply for Bahamian citizenship under jus soli as Bahamian citizenship law allows somebody born in The Bahamas after July 9, 1973 to non-Bahamian parents to apply for citizenship (although The Bahamas doesn't recognize dual citizenship, so this hypothetical child would have to cede their American and Canadian citizenships).

As for the international waters question, again, it would depend on the parent's citizenship, but there's also a UN Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness which could also come into play. I don't believe either the Bahamas (where all Royal's ships are flagged) or the US are contracting parties to it, though.

But surely no one would ever trade American or Canadian Citizenship for Bahamain Citizenship?.

1: Royal is not Cunard and you cannot expect or assume you are entitled to the same level/type of service just because one person brings a walking aid.

2: gastrointestinal issues are what the cruise lines look for. so if he lied about having the runs before boarding, he absolutely deserved what your friend got. furthermore if you DO get the runs while on board it is STANDARD PROCEDURE to be quarantined in your cabin for 2 days to avoid exposing everyone ELSE on board. you do NOT want o be stuck on a ship with a major outbreak of Noro.

3: what treatment? did she break a bone or something? was it determined that the bone was weak due to radiation treatment? I have weak bones due to my autoimmune disease. I take calcium and vitamin D supplements but I am still at risk. Falls happen and a lot of the time no one is to blame. so unless she was trampled while in line to see Pandora and the cast members were at fault for not controlling the crowd, what exactly is the issue? you need travel insurance no matter where you travel. precisely to handle unexpected expenses.

As for insurance look at the english woman who visited Disney in Orlando last year suffering from cancer. She had a fall at the theme park and they refuse to pay out for her treatment despite the fact the cancer did not cause the fall.

I'd love to look at that case. Got a link?

Remember, though, you said health insurance. Not travel insurance.

Immodium is not for colds. Pretty big difference.

I'd love to look at that case. Got a link?

Remember, though, you said health insurance. Not travel insurance.

Immodium is not for colds. Pretty big difference.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-36721785

The insurance refused to pay out for the treatment. A lot of travel insurance won't pay for curtialment of holiday due to sickness or refusing of boarding or entry to a country.

Edited by ace2542

1: Royal is not Cunard and you cannot expect or assume you are entitled to the same level/type of service just because one person brings a walking aid.

2: gastrointestinal issues are what the cruise lines look for. so if he lied about having the runs before boarding, he absolutely deserved what your friend got. furthermore if you DO get the runs while on board it is STANDARD PROCEDURE to be quarantined in your cabin for 2 days to avoid exposing everyone ELSE on board. you do NOT want o be stuck on a ship with a major outbreak of Noro.

3: what treatment? did she break a bone or something? was it determined that the bone was weak due to radiation treatment? I have weak bones due to my autoimmune disease. I take calcium and vitamin D supplements but I am still at risk. Falls happen and a lot of the time no one is to blame. so unless she was trampled while in line to see Pandora and the cast members were at fault for not controlling the crowd, what exactly is the issue? you need travel insurance no matter where you travel. precisely to handle unexpected expenses.

He was 4 days into cruise when he got ill. If he had noro the entire ship would have been down and no one was. I think the U.S immigration issue came in that he may have stopped the credit card over the services charges leaving them unpaid he had a drinks package and was walk off for excursion apart from rome when he did paid. Either that or the unamed cruise line decided to take things too far. Lying to board a cruise even U.S registered one is not an issue in federal law.

Check the post below about the disney travel insurance issue. I don't see how they can blame a trip fall on having cancer. A lot of the insurance companies try this when the big bills come in.

Will passenger be denied boarding if they try to take a crutch or walking stick? Would a passenger have to prove fitness to travel because of it?

Opinions

I tak3 them every cruise often add a power wheelchair to the mix.

Never yet been asked for proof of fitness to travel.

I tak3 them every cruise often add a power wheelchair to the mix.

Never yet been asked for proof of fitness to travel.

If you ever go on cunard you may have to do a tender test step across a gap to be allowed on to the tender following a death during cunard cruise a few years back.

Just out of interest what nationality would a baby born on a cruise ship in international waters be?

It has happened before, I can't remember what Royal ship detoured into Nassau so the kid had immediate Bahamian citizenship recognized by their own country, but was immediately given US citizenship when they arrive back in the US. I beleive, but don't remember the US doesn't recognize dual citizenship, but that may be old news

He was 4 days into cruise when he got ill. If he had noro the entire ship would have been down and no one was. I think the U.S immigration issue came in that he may have stopped the credit card over the services charges leaving them unpaid he had a drinks package and was walk off for excursion apart from rome when he did paid. Either that or the unamed cruise line decided to take things too far. Lying to board a cruise even U.S registered one is not an issue in federal law.

Check the post below about the disney travel insurance issue. I don't see how they can blame a trip fall on having cancer. A lot of the insurance companies try this when the big bills come in.

again, standard procedure to quarantine anyone with gastro issues and they are VERY good at containing it. just because no one else YOU KNOW OF h also had the problem does not mean no one else did. they only have to report an outbreak if a certain percentage of crew/pax come down with symptoms.

as for refusing to pay the service charges.. that is just Karma. t

the way I read the article, the reimbursement for the broken leg and follow on care was NOT denied due to her current diagnosis of cancer, but on a previous diagnosis of something else( which the article conveniently leaves out) and was this travel insurance or actual medical insurance that covers you internationally? Travel insurance covers issues with the actual vacation: not your health. in fact many of the policies specifically ban reimbursement based on past medical history. not even all 'cancel for any reason' policies will cover long term or chronic medic al issues.

most medical insurance will NOT cover you outside of your home country.

you keep harping on these to the point where I think you are trying to find an excuse to not take this cruise at all.

Interesting and fun thread. I thought it might get much nastier.

OP - you will not be denied boarding if you use a cane. Don't know about early boarding if one uses( or brings) a cane. Honestly - there are so many on a ship with mobility issues, and that is great because just about every area is accessible.

Regarding the meds, many savvy travelers brings a small pouch of over the counter and Rx meds. Just a heads up - and maybe off topic - we were on the Oasis cruise that was extended 3 nights. Many folks did not or could not bring extra Rx meds and had to purchase Rx in Mexico and a few put postings on the community bulletin board looking for meds.

Now - OP - I hope this is not a "James Bond" cane that is also a gun or knife? The cane will likely be scanned as you go through security.

m

Interesting and fun thread. I thought it might get much nastier.

OP - you will not be denied boarding if you use a cane. Don't know about early boarding if one uses( or brings) a cane. Honestly - there are so many on a ship with mobility issues, and that is great because just about every area is accessible.

Regarding the meds, many savvy travelers brings a small pouch of over the counter and Rx meds. Just a heads up - and maybe off topic - we were on the Oasis cruise that was extended 3 nights. Many folks did not or could not bring extra Rx meds and had to purchase Rx in Mexico and a few put postings on the community bulletin board looking for meds.

Now - OP - I hope this is not a "James Bond" cane that is also a gun or knife? The cane will likely be scanned as you go through security.

m

The cane is actually a lightsaber so that should be ok to go through right? :D

It has happened before, I can't remember what Royal ship detoured into Nassau so the kid had immediate Bahamian citizenship recognized by their own country, but was immediately given US citizenship when they arrive back in the US. I beleive, but don't remember the US doesn't recognize dual citizenship, but that may be old news

There was a baby born on our IOS cruise 2 years ago. The captain sped up to get us to PR a few hours early. I know they said the BC says "born at sea" but I don't remember if they said anything about citizenship.