I just booked my first ever cruise vacation - did I overpay?

joecruiser143

I just booked my first ever cruise vacation. I think I received a good price compared to what's out there at the moment, but for all I know now is a very expensive time to book a cruise.

On a general basis, do you think I received a good deal? I'm pretty much looking for your immediate reaction to seeing what I paid for what I've booked.

$2600

Celebrity equinox, Leaving Miami February 10th 2018, 7 day cruise

Miami - Key West - Costa Maya - Cozumel - Grand Cayman - Miami

Two passengers

Category 2B cabin

Classic beverage package for both

$300 onboard credit

Edited by joecruiser143

If you shopped around starting on the Celebrity website and double checking on that certain Big Box membership store and a couple other websites. If you are happy with the price you paid then you are fine.

But are you sailing Feb 2018? Because you put 2017???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since you profile is incomplete and gives no idea as to location or citizenship (Canada, US, UK, Australia) hard to know.... if you did your homework then be happy. But please add a bit more info to your profile. If you are located in the US even knowing East Coast/West Coast allows other members to provide other info when requested. Like flights etc

It sounds like a good price but I am going on my first X cruise in January. Ours is 7 nights on the Summit our of San Juan. It goes to St. Martin, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, Barbados and Antigua. We paid $2200 for ta veranda for two and got the same credits/perks as you. We also booked it August 2016 (yes, 2016).

Another thing: unlike airlines, if the fare for your cruise goes down before final payment, you can generally call and get the lower price. After final payment, you can no longer get a lower price, but if fares drop you can upgrade, sometimes getting a considerably nicer cabin for a slight increase in price. In either event, you have to catch the lower price/better offer and call them. No one is going to do it for you. If you see a lower price, make sure it includes all the perks you have, and call right away. Often price drops are very temporary and just done to fill a couple unsold cabins. Once they're gone the price goes back up.

All that being said nothing about your price sounds like a bad deal at all.

Harris

Denver, CO

It sounds like a good price but I am going on my first X cruise in January. Ours is 7 nights on the Summit our of San Juan. It goes to St. Martin, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, Barbados and Antigua. We paid $2200 for ta veranda for two and got the same credits/perks as you. We also booked it August 2016 (yes, 2016).

Can't compare pricing of a Summit out of San Juan, which is always lower than the OP's itinerary and ship. Have a great cruise.;)

The Summit is an older ship and the Equinox an S class ship...just saying. I personally prefer an S class to an M class. You may feel the same way if you keep cruising Celebrity. Then you have the ports to consider...

There are so many variables to take in to consideration, but the bottom line is whether or not you feel like it is a good deal based on your own criteria which can be subjective as well. Also, location of cabin etc...again, lots of variables. You can look up your cabin # and see what has been written about it too. Keep watching to see if the prices go down before final payment. Furthermore, you may be able to upgrade for very little. Just know that the the end of the story is yet to be written and don’t overthink everything.

There are definitely many who received better deals than you, along with many who paid more. But in the end some of the best deals come from those who keep looking to see what is happening to prices. You can look at the fishy sight to see what prices were when the cruise was first released too! Sorry, but I am not allowed to post it. It is all up to you as to what you do now! If just having posters tell you your deal is good is enough, then you do not need to do anymore...

Edited by Lastdance

To cruise with such wonderful people you will meet on that cruise any price is a good price.:rolleyes:

I looked back at hard copies I saved of pricing when we booked last February and your price is about the same for a 2B with those amenities as it was then.

I see you just joined the roll call make sure to post any questions you might have.

Al

Edited by hillbilly73

Another thing: unlike airlines, if the fare for your cruise goes down before final payment, you can generally call and get the lower price. After final payment, you can no longer get a lower price, but if fares drop you can upgrade, sometimes getting a considerably nicer cabin for a slight increase in price. In either event, you have to catch the lower price/better offer and call them. No one is going to do it for you. If you see a lower price, make sure it includes all the perks you have, and call right away. Often price drops are very temporary and just done to fill a couple unsold cabins. Once they're gone the price goes back up.

All that being said nothing about your price sounds like a bad deal at all.

Harris

Denver, CO

Thank you. Do I call Celebrity directly or to the site where I booked the cruise?

As per the original post, I know $2600 is a fair/good rate at today's prices. I'm questioning whether today's prices are good or bad relative to 'normal'.

I'm a US citizen living in Norway. I'll complete my profile. Thank you :)

If you are happy with what you are paying and if you are looking forward to the adventure, then you paid a fair price.

There is no "normal" in cruise pricing. Prices fluctuate with promotions helping to obscure the real price paid.

The Summit is an older ship and the Equinox an S class ship...just saying. I personally prefer an S class to an M class. You may feel the same way if you keep cruising Celebrity. Then you have the ports to consider...

There are so many variables to take in to consideration, but the bottom line is whether or not you feel like it is a good deal based on your own criteria which can be subjective as well. Also, location of cabin etc...again, lots of variables. You can look up your cabin # and see what has been written about it too. Keep watching to see if the prices go down before final payment. Furthermore, you may be able to upgrade for very little. Just know that the the end of the story is yet to be written and don’t overthink everything.

There are definitely many who received better deals than you, along with many who paid more. But in the end some of the best deals come from those who keep looking to see what is happening to prices. You can look at the fishy sight to see what prices were when the cruise was first released too! Sorry, but I am not allowed to post it. It is all up to you as to what you do now! If just having posters tell you your deal is good is enough, then you do not need to do anymore...

I'm a little confused about how I'd be able to upgrade for very little. Please elaborate :D

If you booked with a travel agent you must go through them for all rate/cabin changes. There are sites that monitor cruise prices. Do a Google search and you can find one that keeps records of what the pricing has done and currently is for your sailing.

The lowest I can see for your cruise was in Nov, 2016. The price was around 1,100 pp...don’t know about the perks...2B. The mid point seems to be 1,300 pp so far...unfortunately, I do not have a crystal ball or ESP. This is just one of those sites where the fish swim. You can check my figures.

To upgrade, you must continually watch the prices, but usually this is after final payment. It takes some practice and patience, along with the willingness to look all the time at prices on the website. Sometimes TA’s let you know about price drops...the good ones who have the capabilities...

Edited by Lastdance

Thank you. Do I call Celebrity directly or to the site where I booked the cruise?

If you booked through "a site" then that company is actually your travel agent (unless the site was www.celebritycruises.com). Therefore if you see a lower price you have to go through the agency.

I saw you also asked about upgrading. That works this way: if you see - before or after final payment - a higher category of cabin that appeals to you, and the price is higher than what you're currently booked at, you would call and ask your agent to get you the upgrade. For example, lets say after final payment the price of a Aqua Class cabin drops to a point that it is $150.00 more per person than you are currently booked at. If you decide that price is worth it to you, you can pay the difference to upgrade.

Now, for both price drops and upgrades be aware that promos come and go. For instance right now most sailing include the "go better" (2 perk) package with any ocean view or better cabin. That promo is now slated to end about the end of the month. if it does, prices may drop, but then those cabins would include only one perk. Also, after final payment, many prices you see will include no perks at all. If you see a price you think is better, it pays to first go through the process as if you were creating a new booking, to see if you're getting everything you are with your current price.

The price you're booked at strikes me as one you'll have a hard time improving on, but it always pays to keep watch.

Harris

Denver, CO

Also, after final payment, many prices you see will include no perks at all. If you see a price you think is better, it pays to first go through the process as if you were creating a new booking, to see if you're getting everything you are with your current price.

The price you're booked at strikes me as one you'll have a hard time improving on, but it always pays to keep watch.

Harris

Denver, CO

Be aware that often after final payment prices are offered that are ONLY available to new bookings. So you can't just do a dummy booking and see if the price is better.

I noticed a price drop of $200 for one of my cruises for the concierge class stateroom we'd booked prior to final payment. I called the TA and they reduced the fare keeping all perks (drinks, tips, OBC). Then, a few months later I noticed another $400 drop. I called the TA again. We had a choice of either taking the price drop and losing $100 OBC, or upgrading to Aqua class which was now the same price we paid and keeping all of our perks and OBC. So we upgraded to Aqua since the price we were paying was one we were already happy with in Concierge. Shortly after the price for both Aqua and Concierge went up to higher than we're now paying. Bottom line, if you have a price for a cruise that makes you happy and that you think is fair for a vacation you want, enjoy your choice. But it never hurts to keep an eye on the cruise fares. They do fluctuate.

I'm a little confused about how I'd be able to upgrade for very little. Please elaborate :D

It's pretty easy. Go to any travel site, and pretend book your cruise (we're doing the same itinerary and ship Dec. 2), and see what the cost would be for the same type of cabin and perks. If it's less, or you can get a better cabin/perks for only a few dollars more, make note of it and call your TA so they can see if you can get it.

We originally booked with an obstructed view balcony with go best (I think 2c), but when I checked later a Concierge Class with go best was only $40 more - so I called and got the upgrade. You DO have to check regularly, and since you used a TA they'll need to contact Celebrity, not you directly.

But it's very possible, this isn't the first time I've done it. Make sure to check for any senior/military/police discounts you might be eligible for as well. They don't always have those, but it never hurts to check.

And enjoy your cruise! This will be our 8th, on 3 different lines. We love it, I think it's the best vacation value around.

We did the same cruise on the Equinox in June 2017. We paid $2850 for a concierge (C2) with the "Go Best" perks (premium bev, gratuities, $300 OBC and unlimited internet). We booked thru one of the popular online TA's. Prices bounce around depending on availability. I find a price I am ok paying, I book it and I don't look after that. Some other peeps watch the prices like a hawk and cancel, change, upgrade etc.

Having read about the fishy site on a number of threads, I subscribed to their alerts. My personal experience has not been favorable. The fares they show on their site are oftentimes not accurate and I haven't received email notifications for months. Bottom line, I regularly (two or three times/week or more) check on pricing for my booked cruises and have benefited greatly from doing so. I have been able to capture price drops for three cruises - and in one case, was able to upgrade from a 2A cabin to a 1A to a C2 and finally a A2 cabin. I had booked the 2A cabin with Go Better perks while onboard Equinox in May. During the month of July, the fares kept dropping week by week - and I requested the cabin change each time I saw the fare had dropped. I see this as a major success since I ended up with an AQ cabin with Go Best perks for a lower cost than my original booking. If I relied on the fishy site, I would have missed a number of these fare drops - and the fare is now $800 pp higher than it was at the end of July.