Rome Return Flight

ROBERTEVANOVER

When we flew out of Rome this past April, it took over an hour from the time we got off the HAL shuttle bus to the check-in agent - seemed like half the ship was flying Delta. Then it took at least an hour to get to the gate, where they were just beginning to board. Lots of walking as well as security and immigration during this portion. Our previous departures from Rome were not nearly as bad as this last one.

I agree with previous posters who mentioned it takes a long time to get through all the lines in Rome's airport. We flew out of Rome in April, and everywhere there were lines, and they were all slow. Make sure you allow yourself enough time.

My rule of thumb for myself - if I've never been to a particular airport, I always pick a long time to arrive before my flight. I'd rather be able to fumble through the terminal, exit procedures, and fumble through to the gate and have extra time than to try to have the least amount of time to do the process.

At least now those non-stop flights on US carriers don't have the "Terminal 5 shuffle" to go through before getting to the actual terminal that your flight departs from! But, that also means that you contend with everyone else now in that terminal. I've been lucky to always fly Alitalia out of FCO so I just had to go to T1 for my flight to JFK. Now, everyone taking DL flights show up there, too, apparently.

I'd pick an afternoon flight. There's always an espresso bar and duty-free shopping!

My rule of thumb for myself - if I've never been to a particular airport, I always pick a long time to arrive before my flight. I'd rather be able to fumble through the terminal, exit procedures, and fumble through to the gate and have extra time than to try to have the least amount of time to do the process.

At least now those non-stop flights on US carriers don't have the "Terminal 5 shuffle" to go through before getting to the actual terminal that your flight departs from! But, that also means that you contend with everyone else now in that terminal. I've been lucky to always fly Alitalia out of FCO so I just had to go to T1 for my flight to JFK. Now, everyone taking DL flights show up there, too, apparently.

I'd pick an afternoon flight. There's always an espresso bar and duty-free shopping!

I would do the same too as a newbie in an airport. Less stressful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It takes time to get to Rome airport and things can be hectic at the airport itself, especially with the increased security. If you HAVE to leave the day of disembarkation, I would go in the afternoon.

Personally, I would stay over at least one night, enjoy a bit of the city and pick a flight of my choosing the next day.

If getting out the day of is non negotiable (work, whatever), then just make sure you have at least 4 - 5 hours leeway from departure time until flight time. JMO.

If you book a ship's transfer, HAL will not accept the booking if the flight is before a certain time.

I flew American from Rome to Philadelphia . The departure from Rome is 11AM and I had sufficient time for clearing customs and getting to the gate area.

My air and transfers were both done thru HAL.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are flying to the US and have a stateside connection you need to be on a late morning, noon or 1pm flight. We've made this trip many times and had no problems for 11am. We once took a 10:40. Private transfers always.

Check in counters do not open until two hours prior to flight, Europe is different. Get there too early and you will literally stand with your luggage, no seating. Yes the lines are long but there is no advantage being there too early.

3 hours disembarkation to flight time is quite sufficient, 4-5 hours just means extra standing around. The trip from the rural port to the rural airport is on modern highways, 40-50 minutes. You don't go through the city.

Going into Rome for one night is a pain because it requires an extra transfer th next day to the rural airport. Unless you have a minimum of two nights I would not stay over in Rome.

Edited by sammiedawg

Just a heads up for those who said they did FCO-to USA before: Was this when you had to check-in at Terminal 5 and then were bussed to gates? That stopped recently - now everyone goes straight to the terminal that your airline is flying from for nonstop US/Canada flights. So, now you have to get in line with everyone flying to everywhere from that terminal. For no other reason, I'd add extra time to what you are used to.

• 9 months later...
If you book a ship's transfer, HAL will not accept the booking if the flight is before a certain time.

I flew American from Rome to Philadelphia . The departure from Rome is 11AM and I had sufficient time for clearing customs and getting to the gate area.

My air and transfers were both done thru HAL.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

AngelCat, This sounds like the flight we are taking back to USA on Oct 8th. I am seriously considering a VIP concierge service that will supposedly "FAST TRACK" our party of (4) through baggage check and flight checkin. Has anyone had any experience with this service?

Also flew out of Rome this past April. That airport is crazy and very intimidating for first timers. We caught a 9:30am transfer for a 1:15 flight. Once we finally got to the gate, they were already boarding. We flew Air Canada,thru United. They don't have kiosks & we didn't have boarding passes. Had to wait in a line for over an hour to reach the ticket counter. Give yourself plenty of time.

We are going to self disembark, have a private transfer awaiting at 7:30am "Under Ship", use an expediting service at FCO and pray a LOT! I can't see any reason why the airport situation would improve as am now realizing that our trip in October is now considered "high season" along with June and July.

We are going to self disembark, have a private transfer awaiting at 7:30am "Under Ship", use an expediting service at FCO and pray a LOT! I can't see any reason why the airport situation would improve as am now realizing that our trip in October is now considered "high season" along with June and July.

You will be fine. We’ve made 11ish flights. Don’t worry about the lines, most everyone else on your flight is standing in the line with you.

Are they supposed to be improving the situation???

Unlikely. I've been flying in and out of FCO at least once or twice a year since 1999 and things have remained about the same (for a variety of different reasons ranging from 9/11 security changes for US-bound flights to fire in the terminal to increased tourism.

It really is not that bad if you allow yourself enough time. If you don't, it can be very stressful.

Best advice......do your homework......!!!!!

We flew American Airlines out of Rome (FCO) in April....our flight left at 9:15 am....

I checked the American Airlines website and their check-in counter at Terminal 3 didn't even open until 7:30 am...not even two hours before the flight.....

Their check-in counters were #395 - 409....important to know.....because we had friends totally lost trying to find the right check-in....

After check-in....it was a very LONG walk to the Terminal 3 gates: E31 - E44

I was so glad that I had at least known where we were going..........

Edited by Rowsby

Best advice......do your homework......!!!!!

We flew American Airlines out of Rome (FCO) in April....our flight left at 9:15 am....

I checked the American Airlines website and their check-in counter at Terminal 3 didn't even open until 7:30 am...not even two hours before the flight.....

Their check-in counters were #395 - 409....important to know.....because we had friends totally lost trying to find the right check-in....

After check-in....it was a very LONG walk to the Terminal 3 gates: E31 - E44

I was so glad that I had at least known where we were going..........

It is absolutely true that Rome and other European airports do not open check in gates “three hours early”. No matter what the web site says.

And don’t sweat long lines because most everyone on your flight is in line too.