November 1 Begins Non-Refundable Deposits in US

Luvcrusn

We've taken approximately 70 cruises and have canceled only one when my sister required serious and unforeseen surgery. We rarely book far in advance, so this change will confirm us even more in a short term mentality. For us I sense a lessening of interest in cruising in general, so the new policy comes at a time when we will be only slightly affected. there's nothing wrong in flying and driving.

We have British friends whom we have met on cruises in December for the last five years. This year they are not cruising, having booked a vacation in St. Lucia instead. The possible loss of their deposit on a suite became to much of a concern. We'll miss them on the Eclipse this year but certainly understand their viewpoint, now more than ever.

Edited by BosoxI

I just received an email from my TA (large online agency) that starting November 1, Celebrity will be rolling out non-refundable deposits in the US. So we will now suffer the same decisions as our friends in the UK. We have never cancelled a deposited cruise, but since we're baby boomers, we're coming to ages where the probability of health issues has increased. We will definitely not be booking cruises two years in advance, which we've done in the past. Buying insurance would lessen the possible loss, however the cost of the premium is more that we're willing to risk as well. I guess we'll do last minute bookings going forward. Thoughts?

I also got that email.

However, i am currently on board the Equinox and the Future Cruise consultant said that as of today, they are not aware of any such change as far as on board booking is concerned. I will ask again after Nov 1.

Will check out my specific carrier. Your link took me to an Advantage plan, not a supplemental plan.

From what I have read, the coverage for supplement plans is very limited and specific outside the US for medicare supplemental policies. If the closest medical facility is in Canada vs US where you might be when needing health care, it may be covered. There is some coverage also in Caribbean, but not clear to me as to specifics. For example, if in Aruba, not sure I can get supplemental plan medicare health coverage covered. Our travel insurance is to get us back to US as quickly possible, but there would be health care costs/service to maybe stabilize you to be able to be evacuated back to US.

I have to think this is a 'golden' opportunity for someone with the correct knowledge to get people educated and sell some coverage. I for sure will be getting a good education this week on this subject. :)

It's not that difficult if you read the policies (which aren't as confusing as everyone thinks). The supplemental/Medigap plans I referenced have a $50K limit for emergency care. Outside the US, that may actually be enough for most issues...at least until you are stable enough for Medjet to get you home to a US hospital.

Every medicare ADVANTAGE policy is different...there is no standard policy but I referenced one of them which does offer medical coverage outside the US. There are many others.

Ignoring Medicaid....most in the US get medicare A and add Medicare B to it and many/most also buy a medigap policy which are predefined standard supplemental policies you can buy from various folks at different prices, but every Medigap F (for example) policy covers exactly the same things. Then one buys a Medicare D policy to cover their drugs on top of the above.

Alternatively, one can replace all of the above with a Medicare Advantage Policy and then you get into the HMO vs PPO and what doctors hospitals can you use, etc. Unfortunately, when it comes to comparing advantage policies, it gets confusing real fast...

That probably doesn't help.....but what the heck...I tried :) (and yes, this discussion probably belongs in the insurance forum except it covers more than travel insurance).

For anyone considering MedJet Assist, be aware that while it is medical evacuation coverage, it doesn't cover to have you evacuated directly from a ship. It only kicks in once your have been admitted to a hospital.

Did not know that....thanks

Not even sure if the med and evac ins we bought last time..had such a rule...but I guess it makes sense.

Where does this non refundable deposit info come from? I just looked on the Celebrity website and it says the refund is fully refundable up to 75 to 90 days depending on the cruise length.

I assume this is for the US

Where does this non refundable deposit info come from? I just looked on the Celebrity website and it says the refund is fully refundable up to 75 to 90 days depending on the cruise length.

And it's still October. it's not supposed to come into effect until tomorrow

I got it from an email that my TA sent out. They are a TA that is online and does a high volume business with X. We're not allowed to mention names on here. I posted the email with identifying info taken out a yesterday or the day before on the other thread about this. Here it is if you don't feel like searching:

The following was in my TA'S email. I've blacked out all of their identifying information since we're not allowed to post that. IMPORTANT UPDATE:

Celebrity has alerted us that their current Big, Better, Best promotion, where you have been receiving ALL THREE of the perks above on most sailings through April 2019, will be ENDING on 10/31/17.

Beginning 11/01/17 they will be offering the choice of ONLY ONE of these perks.

Additionally, in the month of November, they will be introducing NON-REFUNDABLE deposits.

Edited by Luvcrusn

I got it from an email that my TA sent out. They are a TA that is online and does a high volume business with X. We're not allowed to mention names on here. I posted the email with identifying info taken out a yesterday or the day before on the other thread about this. Here it is if you don't feel like searching:

The following was in my TA'S email. I've blacked out all of their identifying information since we're not allowed to post that. IMPORTANT UPDATE:

Celebrity has alerted us that their current Big, Better, Best promotion, where you have been receiving ALL THREE of the perks above on most sailings through April 2019, will be ENDING on 10/31/17.

Beginning 11/01/17 they will be offering the choice of ONLY ONE of these perks.

Additionally, in the month of November, they will be introducing NON-REFUNDABLE deposits.

Note the phrase "in the month of November" rather than November 1st.

Yes, you are correct, according to the link on the other thread - starts 28th Nov.

So the Edge westbound TA will most likely be released on that date or the next day? Very interesting to say the least. Only time will tell!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lastdance,

I have no idea about the release dates for Edge’s TA, but CC have announced that date for the non refundable deposits implementation (as per the link from the other thread):

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8181

‘Beginning November 28, 2017, cruisers booking a Celebrity Cruises sailing will be able to choose a non-refundable deposit option. Fares for cruises booked via this option will be lower, and will come with up to four free perks.

Cruisers who select the non-refundable deposit will pay a less expensive rate; there is no specific discount or formula, it simply varies by sailing. Additionally, anyone booked in an ocean-view or above cabin will receive one free perk, while those booked in suites will receive four free perks.

The rollout of the non-refundable deposit program follows several months after sister company Royal Caribbean International began requiring non-refundable deposits on all suite bookings and introduced the optional non-refundable deposits for all other bookings. Royal Caribbean bookings made with the non-refundable deposit and at least six months out from sailing include up to $100 in onboard credit.’

I’ve not had time to read the entire thread so if this has been asked and answered I apologize. While onboard in March of this year we booked a future cruise with the $100 deposit for September 2018 which was as far out as we could get. We actually wanted a date a full year later than that. The representative recommended we go ahead and book and call when those dates become available and move the cruise to a different date. I wonder if when we change the date if we will be required to pay the higher/usual non refundable deposit?

On Royal, even with the NR deposit, if the price drops you can get an adjustment without penalty. Regardless of how much the deposit is, if you cancel you lose $100.00 per person, and then you have a limited time to rebook with a future cruise credit. The price difference varies by cruise. I save $400.00 by switching from refundable to non refundable on the Symphony for a balcony. Also got $100.00 OBC. For others, the difference has been more, or less. You can cange anything on that cruise with no charge, but if you change ships or dates, then you lose the $100.00pp.

deliver42 - Perhaps you can answer a couple of related questions regarding Royal's policy (that may well become Celebrity's policy):

- Can you switch from the refundable fare to the non-refundable for the same cabin on the same cruise without any Celebrity change fee?

- Can this be done at anytime prior to the final payment date?

- If you have the non-refundable fare, is there a change fee to transfer your reservation to a different cabin class on the same cruise?

- If there is no change fee, do you get the current non-refundable fare on the new cabin? Can the change be either up or down in cabin class and up or down in the fare?

Thanks in advance

There is no charge to change from ref. to none ref, and if early enough, you get $100.00 per cabin OBC. I don't think you get that if it's close to final payment. You can change cabins, and you get any price drops, just like a refundable.