Two tier pricing

The only bait and switch is on you. RCCL has made it very clear what the options are it's up to you to make the decision. They also spell out the costs if you cancel or change ships or dates. You can change cabins on the cruise you booked at no charge, get $100.00 per cabin OBC, and all price drops until final payment. Yis is not a flame, just information you may not know.

Also, no one has pointed out, only $100 per person is not refundable, NOT the entire deposit.

The remainder is given as a future cruise credit.

But, as has been pointed out, very similar to what the airlines are doing. But the airlines call it a non-refundable fee, with a change fee. But with the airlines, it is the entire fare, not a deposit.

Actually, there are 3 booking options--2 non and 1 refundable deposit. One of the non is cheaper, however, you cannot select your cabin and resembles the cabin guarantee option.

Oddly enough, the option to allow them to select my cabin no longer shows up for any of the cruises I'm looking at.

I think the op has had his question answered and came back to say they had been given good food for thought. I’m also agreeing with OP that it does change the booking system - just as it did when hotels adopted their New non refundable system.

But I’m not sure what is accomplished by judging them and attacking the OPs question, and then their recreational investments?

Agreed.

In regards to the new pricing structure, it is a change for us that will influence how we book our future cruises.

The thread title is misleading. This is not “two tier pricing”. This is multiple pricing options available to everyone. Of course, there are already so many threads about the non-refundable deposit, a more correct title might not have been so inviting.

Here's the real question that nobody knows the answer to-

Are the non-refundable tickets cheaper than the tickets before the policy, or are the refundable tickets more expensive than before.

Everyone is assuming that the refundable tickets are more expensive now, and they may not be.

For sure, the people upset are thinking that the refundable tickets are more expensive than they were before.

Everyone is assuming that the refundable tickets are more expensive now, and they may not be.

For sure, the people upset are thinking that the refundable tickets are more expensive than they were before.

From all the reports we had right at the time of transition (day before and after), it seems that RCI made the NRD price equal to the old refundable price and increased the new refundable price. Any price further away from transition is hard to judge since prices are then affected by market dynamics.

Prepaid, non-refundable is very common in the travel business. I do it with car rentals all the time.

It is smart marketing...getting the traveler locked in...with offering a

discount for doing so.

I don't see any problem with that.

It's called "choice". No one is making you do one or the other. :confused:;)

Here's the real question that nobody knows the answer to-

Are the non-refundable tickets cheaper than the tickets before the policy, or are the refundable tickets more expensive than before.

Some of my booked cruises show the non-refundable to be a bit cheaper than when I originally booked many months ago. Anthem's Jan. 28th & Symphony Feb 2, '19 as an example.

Put me on the 'No Big Deal' side of this discussion. If you have to book 'Refundable' but don't see the value in the pricing then don't book. Your evaluation of whether to book or not based on pricing hasn't really changed. Now if you want to talk about ever increasing prices then that's another thread.

Some of my booked cruises show the non-refundable to be a bit cheaper than when I originally booked many months ago. Anthem's Jan. 28th & Symphony Feb 2, '19 as an example.

I saved 400.00 on one of my Oasis cruises I had booked months ago by switching over to non-refundable when the program came out. They also awarded me an additional 100.00 OBC to add to the 100.00 I already had. Maybe not a choice for everyone, but it was a win win for me. :)

I saved 400.00 on one of my Oasis cruises I had booked months ago by switching over to non-refundable when the program came out. They also awarded me an additional 100.00 OBC to add to the 100.00 I already had. Maybe not a choice for everyone, but it was a win win for me. :)

Great, I'm glad it worked out for you.

I think when people refer to this as bait and switch, it is because they see an advertised price and then when they go to actually price the cruise they find that they can only get that price by booking a non-refundable rate. Of course, it isn't bait and switch because the original advertising does not mention which rate is being shown. You can get the advertised rate but it has a condition that you were not expecting.

It is a little like booking balconies on the Oasis class ships. You see a great rate on balconies and then when you go to book you find that it only applies to Boardwalk and Central Park balconies not ocean view. There is nothing really deceptive about the advertising. You can get a balcony for the stated price, it just ends up not being the type of balcony that you had in mind.

I think when people refer to this as bait and switch, it is because they see an advertised price and then when they go to actually price the cruise they find that they can only get that price by booking a non-refundable rate. Of course, it isn't bait and switch because the original advertising does not mention which rate is being shown. You can get the advertised rate but it has a condition that you were not expecting.

It is a little like booking balconies on the Oasis class ships. You see a great rate on balconies and then when you go to book you find that it only applies to Boardwalk and Central Park balconies not ocean view. There is nothing really deceptive about the advertising. You can get a balcony for the stated price, it just ends up not being the type of balcony that you had in mind.

Now what I would actually consider sneaky tactics on pricing would be with gas stations..... You see a good price per gallon listed on their sign, then if you are not really looking....you will miss that teeeny tiny print on the sign that says "cash only". That one really annoys me. :mad:

It seems to us that the cruise pricing gets more complicated all the time .

Living in The San Diego market we must fly to board either a RCCL or a Celebrity ship . Most of their ships sail from Florida ports . Because of that we then will use the PDF lower prices to book last minute ( that is usually with in several weeks of the cruise date )

Both the Los Angeles Port of San Pedro ,Ca , Long Beach Ca & San Diego Ca cater to only Princess , Carnaval & Holland America . I need to check into whether there are PDF last minute pricing on these cruise lines .