Where RCI misses the boat . . .

balanceok

We are Diamond Plus on RCI, so I'm an obvious fan and they are my preferred cruise line. But there is one area where they fall short of most of the other cruise lines and I am hopeful they will shortly make some improvements. I'm talking about their beds, bedding and pillows.

We all used to request the old egg crate mattress covers, but those are no longer available. Now they'll put an extra mattress pad on, but that doesn't solve the problem of very hard mattresses. Sure, there are those that prefer a hard mattress, and I can make do, but when you consider the two terrible wafer pillows that are included, it just doesn't make for a good sleeping experience. The bedding is also starting to show its age.

Princess and HAL are not as good as RCI in my opinion, but they've at least stepped it up on their beds and bedding. Now if only RCI would catch the vision. Come on guys!

:cool:

Two words for their beds: they suck. The worst mattresses ever. My hubby and I totally agree with the OP. We had 4 or 5 extra comforters on the bed on the Anthem. It was like sleeping on a brick. :o (and yes, I have written this on numerous surveys).

We are Diamond Plus on RCI, so I'm an obvious fan and they are my preferred cruise line. But there is one area where they fall short of most of the other cruise lines and I am hopeful they will shortly make some improvements. I'm talking about their beds, bedding and pillows.

We all used to request the old egg crate mattress covers, but those are no longer available. Now they'll put an extra mattress pad on, but that doesn't solve the problem of very hard mattresses. Sure, there are those that prefer a hard mattress, and I can make do, but when you consider the two terrible wafer pillows that are included, it just doesn't make for a good sleeping experience. The bedding is also starting to show its age.

Princess and HAL are not as good as RCI in my opinion, but they've at least stepped it up on their beds and bedding. Now if only RCI would catch the vision. Come on guys!

:cool:

Right on. (To use an old term).

I've slept great on the majority of my RCCL cruises. My last cruise on Liberty, however, had me in one of the panoramic ocean view cabins not long after they were put in. This was by FAR the worst I've ever slept on a ship! The bed was really hard. When the seas were rough and I was tossed up, it was like landing back on a rock.

But there is one area where they fall short of most of the other cruise lines and I am hopeful they will shortly make some improvements. I'm talking about their beds, bedding and pillows.

We all used to request the old egg crate mattress covers, but those are no longer available. Now they'll put an extra mattress pad on, but that doesn't solve the problem of very hard mattresses. :

This “pillow-talk” (and mattress-talk) really concerns me. We sail our first RCI cruise on the Grandeur next week - and it’s a 12-day cruise.

How many bring egg crate mattress covers?

Seems a bit odd to me, however, I really don’t want to be with uncomfortable for 12 nights!

The last time we were on Oasis there was me, dd and dw in a balcony room. The bed the third person was to sleep on was a chair that folded out into a single. That was the worst,poorest excuse for a bed that I have EVER slept on. I can't believe we paid full price for the third person and only have that pos to sleep on. I wasn't going to make my dd go through that so I slept on it. Or I should say "laid on it" as I didn't get much sleep that week. So bedding is a VERY sore spot for me when it comes to Royal Caribbean. They got plenty of emails after that to no avail....Carnival has way better bedding for sure.

Here is my tip for those that find the mattress too firm...

Like many people, I prefer to sleep on my side. But if the mattress is too firm, I will sleep flat on my back....

It may take a while longer to fall asleep that way, if that is not what you are used to, however, I can almost guarantee that when you wake up, you will not have any aches or pains....;)

Here is my tip for those that find the mattress too firm...

Like many people, I prefer to sleep on my side. But if the mattress is too firm, I will sleep flat on my back....

It may take a while longer to fall asleep that way, if that is not what you are used to, however, I can almost guarantee that when you wake up, you will not have any aches or pains....;)

Agreed. And have a few adult beverages before turning in.