I am very impressed with Holland America again!

canadarocks

I should preface this by stating that perhaps I have been very lucky to have two wonderful Travel Agents, but I am very impressed with how Holland America has handled two of my cruises.

In 2012 I booked an inside cabin on the Eurodam for a Canada/New England cruise. It must have been very undersold, because prices dropped substantially after final payment. So much so that I had my then TA call to complain, and ask for some form of compensation. To my delight, we were upgraded to a Spa Balcony cabin at no extra charge.

Fast forward to last week when, again after final payment, our upcoming Nieuw Amsterdam cruise's price dropped slightly but it now included a beverage credit and free gratuities for new bookings. I explained the 2012 situation to my current TA and had her call to see if there was anything HAL would do this time. We were originally in an Ocean View cabin, and now HAL has upgraded us to a VC Balcony.

I should add that we have sailed with Holland America many times since 2009, and only asked for adjustments to our bookings twice. But both times I have been thoroughly impressed with how the company has responded.

Just wanted to share, since it's not often big corporations surprise us in such a good way.

Congratulations!!

Not many people sailing HAL are treated so well.

Enjoy your cruise.

HAL has only offered me a free upgrade once, but they have frequently been very responsive in selling a reasonably priced upgrade shortly before sailing when it appeared the ship was not selling out.

Of course, I prefer "free" --- but I can certainly understand their desire to maximize revenue.

I should preface this by stating that perhaps I have been very lucky to have two wonderful Travel Agents, but I am very impressed with how Holland America has handled two of my cruises.

In 2012 I booked an inside cabin on the Eurodam for a Canada/New England cruise. It must have been very undersold, because prices dropped substantially after final payment. So much so that I had my then TA call to complain, and ask for some form of compensation. To my delight, we were upgraded to a Spa Balcony cabin at no extra charge.

Fast forward to last week when, again after final payment, our upcoming Nieuw Amsterdam cruise's price dropped slightly but it now included a beverage credit and free gratuities for new bookings. I explained the 2012 situation to my current TA and had her call to see if there was anything HAL would do this time. We were originally in an Ocean View cabin, and now HAL has upgraded us to a VC Balcony.

I should add that we have sailed with Holland America many times since 2009, and only asked for adjustments to our bookings twice. But both times I have been thoroughly impressed with how the company has responded.

Just wanted to share, since it's not often big corporations surprise us in such a good way.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your experience with HAL on CC. It is very refreshing to see a Post recognizing good customer service.

Not many has experienced that! Congrats! ...

... Not many people sailing HAL are treated so well...

These Posts certainly do not reflect my experience with HAL. Like OP, we HAVE CONSISTENTLY RECEIVED FRIENDLY, COURTEOUS, HELPFUL AND RESPONSIVE TREATMENT FROM HAL AS EXPERIENCED BY OP!!!

Good that the OP received good service. I have had at times exceptional service and at other times extremely disappointing service. Not sure why there is a need to shout out others that have had varying experiences and comment as such. YMMV is so true.

I guess that the best way to respond if you have good or bad experiences, is to EXPLAIN why that is so, instead of saying that you had great or terrible customer service. What one person might feel is great or terrible, might not be a big deal to others. Have seen posts that rate a cruise as terrible because internet costs were so high! Really? Aren't you on a cruise to get AWAY from it all?

Leaving for Veendam on Friday for 14 days. The price dropped a couple of hundred dollars for our guarantee cabin. I asked our TA if she could get HAL to do anything for us. Nope.

Our TA gave us some OBC because we book so much with her, but HAL (115 on HAL in the past 13 months) did not want to do anything for us. Nuts.

Jim

Leaving for Veendam on Friday for 14 days. The price dropped a couple of hundred dollars for our guarantee cabin. I asked our TA if she could get HAL to do anything for us. Nope.

Our TA gave us some OBC because we book so much with her, but HAL (115 on HAL in the past 13 months) did not want to do anything for us. Nuts.

Jim

I have to ask: if the price had gone up a lot after you booked because of unexpected demand, would you have done "anything" for HAL if they had asked you about paying more? Nuts.

Some people see the glass half empty, never look at the bright side. Being on a cruise should be a pleasant relaxing experience, whether you paid $500 or $5,000 for the trip. We try different cruise lines so that we appreciate the good points of each ship. Never understood those who vacation in the same place every year or go on the exact same ship multiple times. Life is too short to not expand your horizons.....

A few years ago, we sailed for three weeks on a ship that is no longer in the fleet. We had ongoing problems for two weeks with an oil/VOC smell, before we were allowed to move down the hall to a comparable cabin.

On our return home, our TA called to ask how the cruise went. I explained we had a good time, but had this one problem. He asked that I outline it in an e-mail. The e-mail worked it's way through to the HAL rep and up to the office of the President.

I was contacted with an apology and an offer of a very generous discount on a future cruise, which we were very happy to accept and use.

Sometimes they come through.

John

Jim

I have to ask: if the price had gone up a lot after you booked because of unexpected demand, would you have done "anything" for HAL if they had asked you about paying more? Nuts.

Thanks for your very insightful Post, navybankerteacher!!!

A few years ago, we sailed for three weeks on a ship that is no longer in the fleet. We had ongoing problems for two weeks with an oil/VOC smell, before we were allowed to move down the hall to a comparable cabin.

On our return home, our TA called to ask how the cruise went. I explained we had a good time, but had this one problem. He asked that I outline it in an e-mail. The e-mail worked it's way through to the HAL rep and up to the office of the President.

I was contacted with an apology and an offer of a very generous discount on a future cruise, which we were very happy to accept and use.

Sometimes they come through.

John

Thanks, John, for your Post. I suspect that your approach to HAL had a great deal to do with the very good outcome. It pays to be civil when voicing complaints.

Thanks, John, for your Post. I suspect that your approach to HAL had a great deal to do with the very good outcome. It pays to be civil when voicing complaints.

And it also probably helped that you went through your TA who very likely did a lot of business with Holland America.

And here is my very recent experience:

Our upcoming cruise will be our 20th, but 3d on H.A.L. We booked in April, and in November shortly after final payment was charged to my credit card, saw the advertised price drop by about $500. in total for the two of us. Same cruise dates, same stateroom class. Despite communicating several times with H.A.L. they absolutely refused to offer even a small compensatory on board credit. Their response amounted to: "We don't have to do anything for you, the cruise is sold out." This cruise will be the last on that line.

And here is my very recent experience:

Our upcoming cruise will be our 20th, but 3d on H.A.L. We booked in April, and in November shortly after final payment was charged to my credit card, saw the advertised price drop by about $500. in total for the two of us. Same cruise dates, same stateroom class. Despite communicating several times with H.A.L. they absolutely refused to offer even a small compensatory on board credit. Their response amounted to: "We don't have to do anything for you, the cruise is sold out." This cruise will be the last on that line.

If the cruise were sold out, they would not be able to offer you an upgrade. But please explain why you think they should voluntarily give you credit, or free email or anything for that matter -- do you really think an other line would do that in the same circumstances?

I have to ask you the question I put to an other poster --- if prices had spiked up instead of dropping, would you have agreed to pay the line more than the agreed amount for your cabin?

If the cruise were sold out, they would not be able to offer you an upgrade. But please explain why you think they should voluntarily give you credit, or free email or anything for that matter -- do you really think an other line would do that in the same circumstances?

I have to ask you the question I put to an other poster --- if prices had spiked up instead of dropping, would you have agreed to pay the line more than the agreed amount for your cabin?

Thank you for your sane response to both posters. Why do people feel they are entitled to something because there was a price change after they made their final payment. Would a buyer of a Ford Mustang feel that Ford owed them something because they came out with a rebate program two weeks after they made their purchase?

When you purchased your cruise, you felt that there was value there. Be happy with that decision as it was based on facts as you saw them at the time. If you want to be sure you got the best deal, then wait until the last minute to purchase. Of course, the risk you run is that the cruise will sell out and you will be left high and dry.