LIVE from the 2018 HAL Grand World Voyage!

Scrapnana

Sun...warmth...pool...swimming...dozing off...sounds just snout perfect! Reading your blog is a great start to my cold and snowy day. Glad to see your correct messenger bag finally made an appearance.

Hi Kathi,

Just found your blog - need stuff to keep me going until we get on the QE in San Francisco (combo WC segments with two self organized land months in between (Australia and South Africa)). Even with the weather in Florida, you were lucky you weren't trying to catch a cruise on 6th or 7th. The folks I know managed to make the cruise but that storm in the NE USA was a nightmare.

It will be fun to follow the Amsterdam (and Roy on Serenity) now and while we are on the QE after SF. I've just started a blog for our trip. Happy sailing!

https://2018worldadventure.blogspot.com

Edited by kahtrav
Typo

Puerto Limon, Costa Rica – January 8, 2018

This is my second visit to Puerto Limon. Last time we went on one of the canals and then took a ride on one of the old trains. For this time I chose “Coastal Highlights and Banana Plantation”. We met in the Queens Lounge at 7:15 (what was I thinking!!!). Before that I went out on “my deck” to watch the ship dock.

We were the first tour to be called and there were about 25 of us. Jose was the guide and Ronald the bus driver. We started off by driving through the city and then along the coast to the banana plantation. This is owned by the Dole company.

When we arrived we were met by Carlos who is in charge of PR for Dole. He explained the history of the banana industry in Costa Rica. We learned about the cultivation of bananas and then walked through the facility. The bananas are brought by an overhead track that is pulled by a mule. The plastic bags are removed (and recycled), the bananas are washed down, then cut into bunches or singles and then boxed up. All of the bananas are cut green because Dole sends them all over the world and they take 10-12 days to ripen after they are cut.

After driving a few minutes we came to Bananito where we were able to sample banana liqueur. It was really strong.

Our last stop was at a roadside fruit stand (complete with sourvenir shop). There was coconut, pineapple, papaya, and a fruit I had never heard of, water apple.

When we returned to the port I walked through the crafts market on the pier. I was back on board by noon.

I had lunch in the Lido with two of my trivia partners, Tom and Jeannette. I worked on loading my pictures onto the computer, resizing them, and then uploading them onto the blog.

The first trivia of the day was at 3. We only had 8 out of 15.

1. How many hearts does an octopus have?

2. What is Frank Sinatra’s epitaph?

3. How many eyes in a standard deck of playing cards (not including jokers)?

4. What is Indonesia’s largest export?

Sail-away was at 4 pm. I watched from the Sea View pool deck.

Evening trivia was at 5. We had 15 correct out of 17 but three teams tied with 16.

1) Which iconic Japanese volcano last erupted in 1707?

2) What 2004 success had the longest title of any best picture Oscar nominee?

3) Which element has an atomic number of 26 and the symbol “Fe”?

4) How many colors were in the first box of Crayola crayons?

Worked on the blog after trivia and then sat and listened (and sipped on a frozen margarita) to the piano player, Jamm, who was playing music from motion pictures.

For dinner I had southern fried chicken and a pavlova with a scoop of watermelon sorbet.

The show tonight was called “Dance” featuring the singers and dancers. They were very good. We had another pillow gift tonight – a Panama hat.

Afternoon trivia…

1. 3

2. The best is yet to come

3. 42

4. Petroleum

Evening trivia…

1) Mt. Fuji

2) Lord of the Rings – Return of the Kings

3) Iron

4) 8

Kathi I am really enjoying your in depth

Blog and wonderful photos you are taking.

Did you sample the banana liqueur?

I don’t know if I would like it.

Seeing the photos of the homes in the area

Was nice and that cute cat sleeping with stuffed animals in the market!

Enjoy your cruise!

Denise:)

I’m really enjoying your reports! Quick question: Is there a Road Scholar group on board? I received a brochure from RS yesterday about the Amsterdam world cruise next year. Thank.

I know they offered it but did they have enough people sign-up to get a group? I have no idea. After this WC sold out early last year - I never saw another offer/ad for it in any catalogue or mailed brochure.

RS usually does offer this every year. The group would not be large based on my previous RS sailings. My biggest was about 36 people. Hope this helps.

I've been following (lurking) on the Roll Call, all of the blogs and now the webcam at the Panama Canal as the Amsterdam passed thru. I came close in not getting any decent shots as a rain squall rolled thru the camera frame just before the ship came into the lock.

y4mqZ8oKb7VZuNTIOrNZPPL3tI8xhSwP670hE1rZ3qeeo1RYwC3VdFT8OIvYf49FJCmilo7YfInFA4dUa2U65qFEsrqcl9ZANttpnBlhJOoHa2gQBNZBUWMfgj2i1RlPWtjK0cujgNSwOFG5WoKkz_CIIP8Ofqj6fsZR_NY5_0zuJ5I3GYw6AYiMzq5lZmQef9b-CQYZFwwfxcqVSYGwejXzg?width=1024&height=674&cropmode=none

y4mzaLPTVpjSQ3pLAdAhW8-woQPhkn2M4byct0ItmKoM4FN9fVBZTLzIPcUXkZxl3nD1NDXtDow1fr6HUceGQ_DBz06kZlc66w7qKYCmp4eUlE_OHR9keYv-mOsb4ViQkasuMwUUzmqwef2aQxmP-0ly5KSVRrT3_CVx-_hEF56KeJ5MxZQk8Hbl_9IVtmoxF3Py7M22tK_F9aLoyD6z-7mmw?width=1024&height=684&cropmode=none

y4m2Ksd-5jdB6SRkTrUG1LvxE4PSrdktRuFvnrbEsyzYAX_UwxlY9yQJjRjT0Ce-PUEIBvkNOSxacRYvDxS9pgy7yhnEUvR6s8jrcDUu0BadMcAvwSc_w25aCaJ35gvqTipu5mDFxEiEa5cuMoOG5LXpfiTi4dJLfhZeNWij_JTBm8-I5IOSzLyZ4-l_WWxNc0rBehGSU0WdzLpSuiMYnFTOA?width=1024&height=703&cropmode=none

Rick

I've been following (lurking) on the Roll Call, all of the blogs and now the webcam at the Panama Canal as the Amsterdam passed thru. I came close in not getting any decent shots as a rain squall rolled thru the camera frame just before the ship came into the lock.

y4mqZ8oKb7VZuNTIOrNZPPL3tI8xhSwP670hE1rZ3qeeo1RYwC3VdFT8OIvYf49FJCmilo7YfInFA4dUa2U65qFEsrqcl9ZANttpnBlhJOoHa2gQBNZBUWMfgj2i1RlPWtjK0cujgNSwOFG5WoKkz_CIIP8Ofqj6fsZR_NY5_0zuJ5I3GYw6AYiMzq5lZmQef9b-CQYZFwwfxcqVSYGwejXzg?width=1024&height=674&cropmode=none

y4mzaLPTVpjSQ3pLAdAhW8-woQPhkn2M4byct0ItmKoM4FN9fVBZTLzIPcUXkZxl3nD1NDXtDow1fr6HUceGQ_DBz06kZlc66w7qKYCmp4eUlE_OHR9keYv-mOsb4ViQkasuMwUUzmqwef2aQxmP-0ly5KSVRrT3_CVx-_hEF56KeJ5MxZQk8Hbl_9IVtmoxF3Py7M22tK_F9aLoyD6z-7mmw?width=1024&height=684&cropmode=none

y4m2Ksd-5jdB6SRkTrUG1LvxE4PSrdktRuFvnrbEsyzYAX_UwxlY9yQJjRjT0Ce-PUEIBvkNOSxacRYvDxS9pgy7yhnEUvR6s8jrcDUu0BadMcAvwSc_w25aCaJ35gvqTipu5mDFxEiEa5cuMoOG5LXpfiTi4dJLfhZeNWij_JTBm8-I5IOSzLyZ4-l_WWxNc0rBehGSU0WdzLpSuiMYnFTOA?width=1024&height=703&cropmode=none

Rick

Great pictures - thank you!

Great pictures, Rick! Thanks for posting them. I tried to get on-line when we were in the locks but I could not get the Panama Canal webcam to load.

We did get a downpour but it didn't last long.

The banana liqueur was not my cup of tea! They had a couple of other flavors that I heard were real good but after that sip I was afraid to try any more!!!

I think there may be a few of the Road Scholars on-board. I overheard a couple of people the other day saying that there needs to be more publicity about Road Scholars so they could attract more participants. The feeling I got was that they were part of it but I may have totally misunderstood the conversation. I will try to find out.

I think there may be a few of the Road Scholars on-board. I overheard a couple of people the other day saying that there needs to be more publicity about Road Scholars so they could attract more participants. The feeling I got was that they were part of it but I may have totally misunderstood the conversation. I will try to find out.

Kathi. if there are Road Scholars aboard - they usually have one of the meeting rooms reserved every sea day mornings for lectures and visual displays. On port days, they have their own tours and generally don't leave in the mad rush to get off the ship.

Unless they have changed them - they have a special black wallet/pouch type name-tag that hang around their neck - with Road Scholar in white printed on it. They always eat dinner in the MDR together.

I would have liked to do this cruise with them also.

While I was posting this - I received an email from Road Scholar about next year's World Cruise - timing or telepathy??

Edited by Happily@Sea
addition

A quick question--is the color scheme on the World Cruise Logo more subdued or is it just my imagination. I could barely see it in Ft. Lauderdale and it seems barely visible on the Panama Canal pictures. It really stood out on both the 2014 World Cruise and the Grand Asia.

Big week for Panama Canal. You today, Westerdam tomorrow, and us Thursday.

Roy

Kathi,

With that many passengers doing the arts & crafts thing, where is that happening?

Jim

The aft portion of the Lido. We were originally on the starboard side but every time the doors to the Sea View pool opened lots of smoke wafted in from the smoking area. People complained so it was moved to the port side. It meets at 2:30 so most of the Lido serving line is closed.

A quick question--is the color scheme on the World Cruise Logo more subdued or is it just my imagination. I could barely see it in Ft. Lauderdale and it seems barely visible on the Panama Canal pictures. It really stood out on both the 2014 World Cruise and the Grand Asia.

Big week for Panama Canal. You today, Westerdam tomorrow, and us Thursday.

Roy

It is dark black. I haven't seen it right side up yet (have seen it upside down a few times from my deck). Maybe it has narrower lines so it doesn't show up as well???

Enjoy your transit, Roy!

The Panama Canal – January 9, 2018

The commentary for our transit began about 6:30. Since it was being broadcast in the hallways as well as “my deck” (in front of my cabin), I got up, dressed quickly and went out on my deck to watch us head towards the first of the locks, the Gatun locks. There is a series of three locks that raises the ship to the level of Gatun Lake.

Since I only had 4.5 hours of sleep, after the third lock I picked up juice and a Panama roll before returning to my cabin and went back to bed.

Time for team trivia at 11:45. Trivia is being done a little different. The winning team does not get a prize. Everyone who participates (on sea days only) gets a coupon worth 10 cents toward an Amazon gift card. Twice now they have given out the HAL pins but these were for everyone who participated. We had 9 correct with the winners having 11.

1) What is John Leach famous for making?

2) In what moving did Bogart say, “We’ll always have Paris?”

3) What does the word “piano” mean?

4) In the computer world, for what does “dma” stand?

After trivia I tried the taco bar for lunch. As on the Westerdam this is still self-serve. I ate with two of my tablemates, Cyndi and Ed.

Then it was time for me to swim in the canal. Not literally but I went swimming (in the pool) while we were in the canal. After swimming for a half hour we were approaching the Pedro Miguel locks so I got out to watch. I was going to swim some more but at that point we had a downpour.

When the short rain storm was over I went up to my deck to watch us head into the Miraflores locks. After passing we were able to see part of the new locks.

Afternoon trivia gave us 12 correct but the winners had 13.

1) Gorgonzola cheese is from which country?

2) What is Shakespeare’s longest play?

3) Which country has the second largest Carnivale after Rio?

4) In which Disney film will you find a character called “Bongo”?

5) What is the capital of Catalonia?

While I was getting ready for dinner my DVD player was returned (I hadn’t even noticed it was gone). I have also received a note that Housekeeping is going to measure my windows for drapes which will be replaced during the dry dock immediately after the world voyage. Today I moved up in the Mariner’s Society (HAL’s loyalty program) to 3-star. The invitations for the Captain’s Dinner went out today. Everyone on the WV is invited on one of the Gala Nights to eat in the Pinnacle Grill. I am part of the first group which will be this Friday.

Dinner was really good. I had scallops, Boston ale flat iron steak and pineapple crisp.

The show was excellent and called, “The Piano Men”. It included music from Billy Joel and Elton John presented by the members of Abba Fab.

We are anchored off of Panama City. I plan to sightsee on the Hop-on, Hop-off bus tomorrow.

Team trivia…

1) Pottery

2) Casablanca

3) Softly

4) Direct memory access

Afternoon trivia…

1) Italy

2) Hamlet

3) Colombia

4) 101 Dalmations

5) Barcelona