LIVE from the 2018 HAL Grand World Voyage!

Scrapnana

I am finally packed. FedEx picked up two cases on the 18th - they were a breeze to pack. My last case - not so much.:( I weighed it last night and it was two pounds over the limit with a couple of things still to put in. I spent a couple of hours trying to decide whether to take out some toiletries and repurchase in FLL or just pay for checking a second case on the plane. Then I found two packing cubes (which evidently had grown legs and moved because they were not where my things to be packed were supposed to be:eek:) which weighed six pounds and I still had a couple of other things that needed to be packed. Decision made - I paid for the second bag as I was checking in to print my boarding pass today.

Could someone explain to me why, even with a number of lists, I still keep finding things to pack?:confused:

I am finally packed. FedEx picked up two cases on the 18th - they were a breeze to pack. My last case - not so much.:( I weighed it last night and it was two pounds over the limit with a couple of things still to put in. I spent a couple of hours trying to decide whether to take out some toiletries and repurchase in FLL or just pay for checking a second case on the plane. Then I found two packing cubes (which evidently had grown legs and moved because they were not where my things to be packed were supposed to be:eek:) which weighed six pounds and I still had a couple of other things that needed to be packed. Decision made - I paid for the second bag as I was checking in to print my boarding pass today.

Could someone explain to me why, even with a number of lists, I still keep finding things to pack?:confused:

In the overall scheme, what difference does the cost of a second bag mean when one is taking a WC! Enjoy. I'm sure you will find that you needed every item packed!

In the overall scheme, what difference does the cost of a second bag mean when one is taking a WC! Enjoy. I'm sure you will find that you needed every item packed!

You are right - $35 is nothing in comparison to the cost of the cruise. I was just mad at myself because I should have sent more clothes in the two FedEx suitcases. I was afraid if they disappeared I would not have anything to wear :eek::eek::eek: so I kept a couple of everything and that, combined with the stuff I could not send through FedEx, made the case way too heavy. Oh, well! I have learned my lesson and will pack differently next time.

LOL Kathi - you are NOT alone :)

Look on the bright side - at least you found the packing cubes. Much better than discovering you don't have them on the cruise ;)

I think that I will print this post and stick it on the fridge when I pack for our Grand Asia.

I think that I will print this post and stick it on the fridge when I pack for our Grand Asia.

Actually, I was thinking of shipping everything I could and then traveling to LA with a carryon. Now . .. maybe not. Maybe it would be easier to check a bag with the non-shipable toiletries and sundries, rather than waiting until LA to buy them. What do you think?

Scrapana and others who use the packing cubes, how many do you usually use for a long trip? I have always used zip top large plastic bags for that purpose. If I replace them with packing cubes, it will be costly. Insidecabin had recommended a set of, I think, four cubes. They must hold a lot more than 2-1/2 gal. plastic bags.

If I'm not mistaken Scrapnana should be on the ground by now and possibly at her hotel.

Roy

If your timing is right, I hope she had a good trip.

Roy, after all the problems I had wifi-wise in FLL Sat. The weather in San Juan is beautiful and the local wifi is working perfectly. Go figure - it must have been the fog Saturday contributing to non-reception, some sailaway, cold and unable to post..

Carole

If I'm not mistaken Scrapnana should be on the ground by now and possibly at her hotel.

Roy

You are correct. We landed a little ahead of schedule but it took awhile to gather my luggage and find the HAL rep (who was actually the Princess rep but the HAL one was outside). There were seven of us coming to the hotel and we had a 50 seat bus:confused:. I had been expecting a van to pick us up. We arrived around 1:30.

My original plan was to walk over to the strip mall a couple of blocks away to have dinner but the rain hasn’t let up so I may take a nap and eat in the hotel instead.

Actually, I was thinking of shipping everything I could and then traveling to LA with a carryon. Now . .. maybe not. Maybe it would be easier to check a bag with the non-shipable toiletries and sundries, rather than waiting until LA to buy them. What do you think?

Scrapana and others who use the packing cubes, how many do you usually use for a long trip? I have always used zip top large plastic bags for that purpose. If I replace them with packing cubes, it will be costly. Insidecabin had recommended a set of, I think, four cubes. They must hold a lot more than 2-1/2 gal. plastic bags.

I have one set of three packing cubes. I use the smallest for the electronic cords/adapters/etc. The two larger ones are for my undies. I unzip them and put them on a shelf or in a drawer on the ship.

I have one set of three packing cubes. I use the smallest for the electronic cords/adapters/etc. The two larger ones are for my undies. I unzip them and put them on a shelf or in a drawer on the ship.

Great minds think alike :)

I use 4 (there are 2 of us). The first 3 are used for the same as you and the last one holds our OTC's, band aids, etc.

I love them as it means that the cubes just can go on a shelf in a hotel and do not touch the drawers. Same thing on the ship.

I do find they hold more than plastic bags and are more convenient for small things.

I bought my packing cubes from the dollar store and I love them. They are expandable and very lightweight. Ever since the airline lost my bag once, I use one to pack a change of clothes for my carry-on. The cube keeps everything together nice and neat and wrinkle-free. I still use zip locks for cords and toiletries.

Tampa Girl: That is what I have done for my last 3 trips; I pack all my otc meds, sundries, toiletries, and a change of clothes for embarkation day in a checked bad and ship the rest. That way, I can relax on arrival at the hotel and have a nice dinner and a glass of wine without worrying about last minute shopping.

I bought my packing cubes from the dollar store and I love them. They are expandable and very lightweight. Ever since the airline lost my bag once, I use one to pack a change of clothes for my carry-on. The cube keeps everything together nice and neat and wrinkle-free. I still use zip locks for cords and toiletries.

I have not seen the cubes at $General, although I bought the collapsible boxes to bring along. In which store did you find the cubes?

I have not seen the cubes at $General, although I bought the collapsible boxes to bring along. In which store did you find the cubes?

You're right... Haven't seen them at $General. Do you have a Dollar Tree nearby? They seem to have a more varied selection. I found mine by accident during a trip to Canada.

Re: the packing cubes, is the general consensus that you can pack more into a bag using them? To me the concept seemed like they would be good to stay organized, but might actually take up more space in the bag. Is there some kind of a compression factor at play using the cubes? I’m willing to be converted to the idea of using them ;)

Re: the packing cubes, is the general consensus that you can pack more into a bag using them? To me the concept seemed like they would be good to stay organized, but might actually take up more space in the bag. Is there some kind of a compression factor at play using the cubes? I’m willing to be converted to the idea of using them ;)

The advantage is you can get to exactly what you want without rifleing through. The capacity is no different. They are not the vacuum clothes compressors.

If the luggage is just a way to get clothing to the ship and no overlands, then why bother.

Kathi, did you request a wave from the webcam?

Where about will you be so we can spot you as you sail a way?

No, I didn't. We are not scheduled to sail until 8 pm although it was 2013 the last time the

WC left before 10:00. Since the webcams seldom follow the ships out after dark, I didn't think it was worth trying. I am planning on standing near the stern on the port side likely by the Sea View Pool. I will have a blinking flashlight.