Water Taxi, Fort Lauderdale

babs135

Is this close to the cruise ship port? Do you recommend it for a day trip? Do you just turn up at a stop and board the boat? And finally for now if you don't get off at any of the stops do you end up at your starting point and how long would this take?

Thanks

A quick look at the water taxi website shows it is closest to Terminal 2, a doable walk from that Terminal...about a mile. The website also reveals two routes, north and south from the nearest stop to Terminal 2. The length of your trip will depend on the route, and the options. Anywhere from 2 to about 3 hours. Yes, you just turn up at a stop, and pay your fare when you board.

A look around the board would find many comments and reviews. We have done both routes, and if a one time only shot, would suggest the north route. However, the southern (Hollywood) route takes you right through the port, for a different view of the ships.

Take a look at the water taxi website: http://www.watertaxi.com. It includes schedules, stops (with a map), nearby attractions, and discounts on some nearby attractions and restaurants. The closest stop to Port Everglades is at the Hilton Marina Hotel - the stop is under the 17th Street bridge. That is within easy walking distance of terminals 2 and 4 at Port Everglades; if you are at another terminal take a quick cab or uber ride.

Since it appears you have a day in Fort Lauderdale, check out http://www.sunny.org for more information on attractions and http://www.suntrolley.com for info on cheap transportation ($1/ride or $3/day pass) on the sun trolley.

I would agree with many others that the water taxi is worthwhile. We take it at least once every year when we are in Fort Lauderdale. We actually stay in Hollywood Beach and make a day of it.

For our last pre-cruise stay, we used the Hilton Marina because I hoped to do the water taxi, but that didn't happen. For our next pre-cruise, I'd like to find a different hotel that's near one of the water taxi stops as I'd still like to do the water taxi. I don't want to stay at the Hilton Marina again because we had an unpleasant dining experience there, and there aren't other restaurants close by in walking distance (that I know of). What other hotels might be good options that are in walking distance of a water taxi stop?

For our last pre-cruise stay, we used the Hilton Marina because I hoped to do the water taxi, but that didn't happen. For our next pre-cruise, I'd like to find a different hotel that's near one of the water taxi stops as I'd still like to do the water taxi. I don't want to stay at the Hilton Marina again because we had an unpleasant dining experience there, and there aren't other restaurants close by in walking distance (that I know of). What other hotels might be good options that are in walking distance of a water taxi stop?

The Riverside downtown on Las Olas Blvd has a water taxi stop and is in a great location.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In March and again in November we stayed at the Hilton GalleryOne which is right on the taxi stop. Great location-has a mall right across the street if you forgot something.

Are there any kosher restaurants close to any of the water taxi stops?

Falafel Time is on E Las Olas Blvd, so you would get off at the Las Olas stop #2, and it is about 4 blocks from there.

Cafe Emunah is closest to the northernmost end of the water taxi route, on N Ocean Blvd, so you would get off at Bokampmer's stop #10, and it is about 3 blocks from there.

Loved the water taxi. We did this just last month and it was a great day out!

We stayed at the Best Western Oceanside Inn, which is a short walk from stop 7.

We did the northern route, stayed on to the top and then back down again to Las Olas, where we got off for lunch. Then we hopped back on again to the Hilton stop to switch to the Hollywood route.

As luck would have it, we were there just at the time the cruise ships were sailing away. We saw a HAL ship, then Harmony and lastly Independence.

97d7a18fba224a92a61ce3b34cf7c345.jpg

800fb9992d6fb5abd51cf3d88865d50d.jpg

7cafb3d31f7dcaeb749f61a36bfd1f9a.jpg

836fe5ff4061c4a2394774593d1f74e2.jpg

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Doubletree GalleriaOne is a nice hotel and the water taxi stops there. Galleria Mall is a short walk from the hotel as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do you recommend it for a day trip? Do you just turn up at a stop and board the boat? And finally for now if you don't get off at any of the stops do you end up at your starting point and how long would this take?

I assume you have checked their www site. It's not really a "day trip", but a "taxi" from point to point. There are some interesting points of interest along the route, but the W/T in itself is not really an "excursion".

That being said, it's fun and a pretty cheap way to get to some nice places to shop and eat. We have stayed at the Doubletree Galleria One a couple of times and jumped on there, done a route, stopped for dinner/drinks, and jumped back on back to the hotel. You have to watch the schedule for your stops as if you miss one it might be awhile before the taxi is back or even ends for the night.

I assume you have checked their www site. It's not really a "day trip", but a "taxi" from point to point. There are some interesting points of interest along the route, but the W/T in itself is not really an "excursion".

That being said, it's fun and a pretty cheap way to get to some nice places to shop and eat. We have stayed at the Doubletree Galleria One a couple of times and jumped on there, done a route, stopped for dinner/drinks, and jumped back on back to the hotel. You have to watch the schedule for your stops as if you miss one it might be awhile before the taxi is back or even ends for the night.

It is a hop on, hop off boat. You buy a ticket that is good for all day. You can get on or off all you want for that day. What taxi allows you to do that?

Check for groupons, this can save you quite a bit of money if they are available.

Groupons are usually only offered in off season, June through October.

Make sure you stay on the water taxi at night, the views are gorgeous. Much prettier than during the day. It runs until midnight I believe.

It is a hop on, hop off boat. You buy a ticket that is good for all day. You can get on or off all you want for that day. What taxi allows you to do that?

I do have to agree it is more of a "hop on hop off" transport. But, they call themselves a "taxi" so I gotta go with that.

We have done it twice and enjoyed it for the views. However, the "hop on" part was a little limited later in the evening when the schedule is scaled back. We ended up getting a "land" taxi back to the hotel after dinner rather than wait the 30 min's for the next "water" taxi to come back.

Is this close to the cruise ship port? Do you recommend it for a day trip? Do you just turn up at a stop and board the boat? And finally for now if you don't get off at any of the stops do you end up at your starting point and how long would this take?

Thanks

Highly recommended! Just a few blocks from Terminal 2 to under the bridge where "taxi" boat stops. Like a Hop On Hop Off -- entertaining narrative and lots to see. We did this on a B2B in November on our FLL port day.