Credit cared scammed

cruisencrazy

friendly warning. Just back from Caribbean cruise. Used a credit card ONE time in port. It was used at Little Switzerland in Havensight Mall in St Thomas. After our modest purchase, which seemed to take an unusually long time we went back to the ship. When we got home we found the credit card account hacked, on that day, and large cash advance purchased on the same card. Buyers beware!

Only posted here because we were on a Princess Cruise

Posted also in ports of call

Having a CC compromised while on a vacation is one of my greatest concerns. Did you notify your bank prior to travel and also provide them with a contact telephone number? I always call the bank that holds each of my credit cards about a week before we travel. Lately they are asking for a daily port-of-call list to protect the card. In addition, I give them my cell number and note that I can also be contacted through email.

So far, so good with our credit cards. However, while I was booking BOS to LHR air on BA, using my Barclay arrival+card, the land line rang within seconds of my clicking "book/confirm" on the airline site. Yes, it was Barclay fraud department calling to verify the purchase. In a panic, I re-entered my Jet Blue CC numbers and it went through, then my cell phone rang. It was Jet Blue - also a Barclay Bank card - calling to verify the purchase. I put cell adjacent to land line and told each to decide who would process the flight first, otherwise, I was pulling out my BAC card. Jet Blue won. So, now when I make a major purchase, especially something overseas, I call the CC company.

When I travel, I never let a CC out of my sight. In the US, at a restaurant server will remove the card from my sight to process the charge - in Europe, I've heard that this is not allowed, thus the server comes to your table with a hand held. I have observed clerks on "the islands" attempt to process CC's out of my sight, or worse case, write the CC number on paper claiming their machine doesn't work. When I say, forget the purchase, suddenly the machine works.

I would like to see the US adopt the chip & pin format for a little more security on CC's.

Darcy

We use CitiXXX credit and debit cards. They do not use anymore the notice of travel abroad.

Currently they use the alert system, this system sends you SMS and email of each transaction with your cards, deposits and charges. With this system it is very easy to detect an unrecognized charge instantly. Such that you can report to your bank and request the blocking of the card because it has been compromised.

We use CitiXXX credit and debit cards. They do not use anymore the notice of travel abroad.

Currently they use the alert system, this system sends you SMS and email of each transaction with your cards, deposits and charges. With this system it is very easy to detect an unrecognized charge instantly. Such that you can report to your bank and request the blocking of the card because it has been compromised.

Playing a little devils advocate on this one....most of our phones don't work regarding text messages when cruising, and I'd imagine a lot of folks either don't check their email at all or less frequently while cruising since the internet isn't the greatest. Cash is probably your best bet. Also using a credit card versus debit is preferred because debit is basically cash, so if they clean you out, you are SOL, whereas credit is not as detrimental. Also perhaps consider using your lowest limit card or lowering your limit temporarily. Big difference between someone maxing out a $5000 limit versus $20000.

I sure hope you contacted the store! When this kind of thing happens it is usually because a store employee is in business for themself....and its likely the store management does not have a clue. With some luck, your credit card company will send their security folks to investigate.

We spent as much as 7 months a year out of the country (live in Mexico during the winter and travel much of the world for about 4 months) and totally rely on debit and credit cards when we are away from home. Because of all the instances of fraud we have been forced to have back-ups and back ups to back ups etc. Between DW and I we now have 3 different ATM/Debit cards (each drawn on an account in a different bank) and numerous credit cards. We always notify our credit and debit card companies of our travel plans (this helps stop fraud) and have a cell phone that works just about everywhere in the world (so our credit card companies can reach us...and vice versa). This all might seem extreme, but when we are out of the country for a few months at a time we cannot take the risk of not having enough back up options,

Over the past 5 years I have had 4 cards compromised (3 of the 4 times it had to do with major store issues that were well publicized) and 1 time my AMEX card was compromised in some mysterious way (possibly from info out there on the Dark Web). What we find interesting is that even though we live in Mexico for 10 weeks a year (where you would expect credit card problems) we have never had a card compromised in that country.

Hank

I have one card that I for nothing except monthly auto-pay transactions with merchants (cable, phone, etc.). The card is never used for in store purchases where it might be out of my sight. This reduces the chances of that card being compromised and the need to update all those merchants (and when it expires or should there be a problem, I have an easy list of what merchants do need to be updated).

Playing a little devils advocate on this one....most of our phones don't work regarding text messages when cruising, and I'd imagine a lot of folks either don't check their email at all or less frequently while cruising since the internet isn't the greatest. Cash is probably your best bet. Also using a credit card versus debit is preferred because debit is basically cash, so if they clean you out, you are SOL, whereas credit is not as detrimental. Also perhaps consider using your lowest limit card or lowering your limit temporarily. Big difference between someone maxing out a $5000 limit versus $20000.

Yes you can also limit your credit to the amount you like. It's named personal credit limit.

If your phone does not work in the islands because your plan does not cover you, you can use the free WiFi in the ports.

As recommendations:

1) Never lose sight of your card, do not allow it to be placed in the terminal if it is not in view of you.

2) Change your card to the Chip system, they can hardly be cloned. those with a magnetic stripe in a blink of an eye have already cloned it.

We use Discover Card on Princess, and when our OBC disappear and the charges kick in, I get an alert on every purchase. Canada was the only place we used a credit card (Costco Citibank) due to the currency difference. Never had any trouble in Canada. Only time our credit card (Discover), was compromised was in San Pedro at a Mexican restaurant - the only place we used the card on land. We got a call from Discover when we got home. We use cash in the States.

I had mine compromised in Cozumel at the vanilla and spice shop at the pier. I notified the cruise shopping host, as it was a certified/ promoted store. It was the only place I used the card. He contacted the store to file a complaint and get some answers and notified corporate. He also set it up for me to call my card company to report the incident so that ball could get rolling.

I try to just use cash, but had not brought enough on shore and was in a rush to get back to the ship for departure. Within 20 minutes of leaving the shop, online purchases were made. I also received follow up communications from Princess upon returning home.

Thanks for the reminder.

Always wise to have multiple credit cards with you just in case one card is compromised and shut down.

I just want to note this can happen anywhere around the world including our own backyard (eg., Country, City, etc.)

Keith

There have been lots of warnings to only use cash on the islands that suffered infrastructure damage from one or more hurricanes. Many merchants are using either public wifi or cell phones to process cards, the secure connections between the credit card authorization service having yet to be restored.

Sorry this happened to the OP but extra caution in St Thomas--and San Juan, and St Maarten when it reopens in mid January, and Dominica if calls ever resume there--is a given.

The other night, we went out to dinner in Vancouver, Washington and paid with a

credit card. (the card was out of our sight for payment.) Two days later, my

husband was checking our account and verifying purchases, and there was

a charge for $853.00 for Southwest Airlines. We have NEVER been on that

airline. It had cleared the same day as the restaurant charge.

We DO NOT use debit card; you have 60 days to "contest" with a credit

card.

Soooooooooooooo, in 5 days we depart on our Coral PC cruise and I am bringing

a good amount of cash for on shore spending! We really like getting the miles

and cash back on our credit cards but will spend cash now when the card

may be out of sight.

Be safe and Happy sailing to all!

I wish I could tell you how many times my credit card has been scammed since I moved to Miami. Just had it happen a few weeks ago and I know the only place I used the card was the new Frost Science museum and Disney World. Hopefully Disney didn't scam their own credit card!!

I would definitely contact the store. We had this happen once at a restaurant in Naples, FL with a card we hadn't used in months and months. I contacted them and it turned out that one of the new servers had a skimmer.

We live in Canada. We were scammed once and told that often scammers gather the data but then do not put charges on the card for some time - weeks even. So not necessarily the fault of the last place you used it.

It’s possible your card was scanned without your knowledge while you carried it if you aren’t using a RFI blocking purses and wallet. It’s occurring more and more around the world from what I’ve read. Someone with the equipment only has to pass near you to scan the card.

Not saying is what happened but it’s poaaible.

It is not occurring. There is no RFID crime. Read the article in link below. Not a single RFID crime has happened and it is not likely to happen.

https://www.csoonline.com/article/3199009/security/why-you-dont-need-an-rfid-blocking-wallet.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was impressed on our first visit to Victoria BC when I saw a waiter process a credit card payment at the table.

I latter asked him why and was told it was law that they could not take the card out of sight of the person presenting it.

I wish the US would wake up and get with the program.

I was impressed on our first visit to Victoria BC when I saw a waiter process a credit card payment at the table.

I latter asked him why and was told it was law that they could not take the card out of sight of the person presenting it.

I wish the US would wake up and get with the program.

Bank Manager here - this service is available, but it requires a change in computers and machinery that most restaurants do not want to pay. I have a very hard time trying to introduce this to my customers, especially those who are not large businesses.

As for the fraud, charges can always be disputed, especially cash advance charges. Be wary of ATMs and anyplace you have to swipe your card. Banks check our machinery every day for a pea sized skimmer that will read your card as it slides and records the information. The scammers then create blank cards to be used anywhere. Likewise, any time you enter your card numbers in online or give it over the phone it's in danger of being recorded and later used.

My take on it is that preventing fraud is important, but more important is checking your online banking every day while you are gone and knowing how to dispute. Set up text alerts that will tell you when a card has been used for more than a certain amount.

Bank Manager here - this service is available, but it requires a change in computers and machinery that most restaurants do not want to pay. I have a very hard time trying to introduce this to my customers, especially those who are not large businesses.

As for the fraud, charges can always be disputed, especially cash advance charges. Be wary of ATMs and anyplace you have to swipe your card. Banks check our machinery every day for a pea sized skimmer that will read your card as it slides and records the information. The scammers then create blank cards to be used anywhere. Likewise, any time you enter your card numbers in online or give it over the phone it's in danger of being recorded and later used.

My take on it is that preventing fraud is important, but more important is checking your online banking every day while you are gone and knowing how to dispute. Set up text alerts that will tell you when a card has been used for more than a certain amount.

My husband is an international airline pilot. We understand credit safety and receive alerts on cards that have that as an option. We used a card with a low credit limit on purpose. Thankfully we weren’t using our platinum Amex. I did give the cc company the salesman’s name, computer terminal number and store info. May also pursue a case with the police. Credit card company was great and took care of our end immediately. These things happen. I just thought that if I could prevent one theft with my post, then I should try. Happy New Year all.