River cruise cabins and windows?

jkgourmet

We all choose to spend our vacation dollars in different ways. I'm prone to claustrophobia, but didn't find my aquarium cabin at all. The window at the top ran the entire width of the outside wall, and there was plenty of daylight, and I could see city lights at night.

Roz

Meant to say "but didn't find my aquarium cabin confining or closed in at all".

We just like a window that opens.... we appreciated the fresh air when we hadn't been able to open our windows at home as it was still to cold. It wasn't until the 2nd or 3rd day we found out our A/C wasn't working (the sensor was broken, easily & quickly fixed).

Would I go for the aquarium class... probably not. When we book a holiday like this, we factor in the cost. If it meant that we couldn't take the trip because of the cost, then yes, but then we probably wouldn't be going anyway. We don't fly first class, so that saves us a big chunk. I guess it's all down to how anyone wants to spend their money, and if you want to save on the room, then there is no reason not to. We appreciated having a comfortable chair & love seat to sit on while we were in our cabin, instead of a wooden chair you would have on the balcony, so the french balcony is our preference, but, as it's been noted, some french balconies have less space than the balcony suite.

It's all a matter of what you want, and what you can give up in order to enjoy your holiday rather than worry about it.

You had a chair and a loveseat in a French Balcony cabin on VIKING???? As far as I can tell they don't even have a chair, unless you are referring to a Veranda Suite.

French balcony floor plan

SHIP_Stateroom_Longship_FrenchBalcony-Floorplan_800x440_tcm21-10211.jpg

Veranda floor Plan

SHIP_Stateroom_Longship_Veranda-Floorplan_800x440_tcm21-10216.jpg

The Veranda suite has a balcony and a French balcony

SHIP_Stateroom_Longship_VerandaSuite-Floorplan_800x440_tcm21-10222.jpg

In July 2012 we had a French balcony on Viking's Danube cruise from Nuremberg to Budapest, and we had one chair (can't remember whether a table as well or not) in front of the window. We have a few photos of me sitting in front of the open curtains with river bank behind me and a few photos of lock walls or ships adjacent to us in the lock. But as many have said above, when cruising through scenic areas of the river we were up on deck!

This coming July we'll be on Viking again, cruising from Amsterdam to Basel, and as a result of this thread have booked an aquarium cabin (made this cruise affordable, actually). So after we return I'll post again with my thoughts comparing the two experiences!

We were not among those who wished they had not booked the veranda cabin. We loved it so much we booked the same cabin for our upcoming cruise.

Had we gotten the Aquarium class, I would have been sorry, for the same reason I don’t book inside cabins on ocean cruises. I get claustrophobic. If you are not afflicted, I guess you can’t understand why some of us simply can’t or don’t wish to deal with it.

I assume the reason why there are different type cabins on most ships is because each person has their own preferences, and the cruise lines want to accommodate. We prefer to have the extra inside space, and to have the balcony available for however much time we use it.

Different strokes for different folks. And Vive la difference!

So glad I'm not alone. Not to sound morbid....but having lost friends on the USS Cole, recently on other ships AND having been to Pearl Harbor more than once....combined with claustrophobia....I need more than one exit. I need to feel like I can get out more than one way.

You had a chair and a loveseat in a French Balcony cabin on VIKING????

Hi Kat,

We didn't go with Viking, we were on Avalon. My Sister & B-i-L go on Viking, but they always get a veranda room. We just chose Avalon because they seemed to fit us best, and we sure weren't disappointed. The room was just the right size (I can never understand the requirement for large bedrooms...all you usually do is sleep in them) for us to both be in and not be in each other's way, and the chair & love seat were great for the times we were in our room. I need bright lighting (guess it's from always being up before the sun) so a large window is great for me...and when the whole wall was glass, it sure was large!

So glad I'm not alone. Not to sound morbid....but having lost friends on the USS Cole, recently on other ships AND having been to Pearl Harbor more than once....combined with claustrophobia....I need more than one exit. I need to feel like I can get out more than one way.

I’m sorry about your friends. I never really thought about having 2 exits but that does make sense to me. I really, really hate elevators. I got stuck in a crowded one in an office building in NYC once and we had to climb from one elevator to another through a very narrow door. I take the stairs whenever I can.

I do like knowing I can go out that door. The big window in the French balcony would be fine, but the room is smaller.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Kat,

We didn't go with Viking, we were on Avalon. My Sister & B-i-L go on Viking, but they always get a veranda room. We just chose Avalon because they seemed to fit us best, and we sure weren't disappointed. The room was just the right size (I can never understand the requirement for large bedrooms...all you usually do is sleep in them) for us to both be in and not be in each other's way, and the chair & love seat were great for the times we were in our room. I need bright lighting (guess it's from always being up before the sun) so a large window is great for me...and when the whole wall was glass, it sure was large!

We considered Avalon, but they weren’t stopping at Kinderdijk and we really wanted to go there. We were very happy with Viking and loved the Veranda cabin.

I can never understand the requirement for large bedrooms...all you usually do is sleep in them

As with most things, not everybody acts the same. Although I have yet to take my first river cruise--coming up in September!--I've taken numerous ocean cruises. I've heard the same thing there about not spending time in cabins, and while it may be true for you, it's simply not true for me. My wife and I spend considerable time in our cabin--we often to prefer to relax on our own rather than in social settings. So, for us, the larger cabin is a definite plus. Of course, you're likely totally different, but I don't know that either of us has the data to say that one of us is "usual" and the other is "unusual."

As with most things, not everybody acts the same. Although I have yet to take my first river cruise--coming up in September!--I've taken numerous ocean cruises. I've heard the same thing there about not spending time in cabins, and while it may be true for you, it's simply not true for me. My wife and I spend considerable time in our cabin--we often to prefer to relax on our own rather than in social settings. So, for us, the larger cabin is a definite plus. Of course, you're likely totally different, but I don't know that either of us has the data to say that one of us is "usual" and the other is "unusual."

You may still feel that way on a river cruise and that is fine. But do remember, the distances are considerably shorter, so it is easy to get from your cabin to the lounge and back. There are also way fewer passengers, so that there is much less of a feeling of perhaps being overwhelmed by all the people around.

While we did spend time in the lounge, we did spend a fair amount of time in our cabin. We found that we were off ship so much, that when we got back, it was time to catch up on e-mails, getting ready for lunch or dinner, and then after dinner, back for the evening. Since we only had partial days under sail (one of which was the Rhine Gorge, which you really do want to be out in the public area to see) we enjoyed the "down time" in our cabin. What I meant about the "large master bedroom" is the need for oversized rooms. Our cabin (Panaroma Suite on Avalon approximately 200 sq. feet) was more than adequate for the two of us to be in but not be under each other's feet. I've seen pics from my S-i-L's cruise with a balcony suite on another line (where the space for the balcony was taken from the room) and it looked very cramped. Even our bathroom & shower were a good size, whereas her's was very tiny.

While we did spend time in the lounge, we did spend a fair amount of time in our cabin. We found that we were off ship so much, that when we got back, it was time to catch up on e-mails, getting ready for lunch or dinner, and then after dinner, back for the evening. Since we only had partial days under sail (one of which was the Rhine Gorge, which you really do want to be out in the public area to see) we enjoyed the "down time" in our cabin. What I meant about the "large master bedroom" is the need for oversized rooms. Our cabin (Panaroma Suite on Avalon approximately 200 sq. feet) was more than adequate for the two of us to be in but not be under each other's feet. I've seen pics from my S-i-L's cruise with a balcony suite on another line (where the space for the balcony was taken from the room) and it looked very cramped. Even our bathroom & shower were a good size, whereas her's was very tiny.

Have you sailed on Viking at all, or only Avalon? It’s kind of difficult to judge the cabins on Viking without seeing them. I have seen photos of Avalon cabins, but I have no clue what they are like.

Again I can’t speak for cabins on Avalon, but I don’t think any of the cabins on Viking could be described as “large master bedrooms.” While the veranda rooms have a bit more space, it’s basically the width of the space needed for the chair. It’s a good workable size, neither large, nor cramped. As Goldilocks would say, “just right!”

I haven’t stayed in the other types of Viking cabins, but on passing by open doors none looked “cramped.” The bathrooms on the Viking Longships are the same, and again sized just right. The showers are great when compared to most mainstream cruise ship showers.

I’m not sure what point you are trying to make, unless you are just intending your comments for Avalon cruisers. Since this is a general river cruise board, perhaps we should all be sure to specify what line we are speaking of.

You may still feel that way on a river cruise and that is fine. But do remember, the distances are considerably shorter, so it is easy to get from your cabin to the lounge and back. There are also way fewer passengers, so that there is much less of a feeling of perhaps being overwhelmed by all the people around.

Not only that, but there is very little spare time to spend in the cabin on river cruises. We always took the am and after lunch excursions. And if you’re going through the locks or sailing during the day you are missing fascinating scenery staying in your cabin.

(I can never understand the requirement for large bedrooms...all you usually do is sleep in them)

The famous philosopher Yogi Berra once said "Why buy good luggage? You only use it when you travel." But it was later reported that he had changed his mind on this subject. Me, I can never understand why people can't understand that other people think differently [or different, if you are a Steve Jobs fan] from them. ;)

The famous philosopher Yogi Berra once said "Why buy good luggage? You only use it when you travel." But it was later reported that he had changed his mind on this subject. Me, I can never understand why people can't understand that other people think differently [or different, if you are a Steve Jobs fan] from them. ;)

That seems to be some kind of norm. Many people apparently think everyone should think like them and want what they want. Sometimes I think they actually feel there is something wrong with those with different wants and needs. I always say different strokes for different folks! Whatever floats your boat!

Have you sailed on Viking at all, or only Avalon? It’s kind of difficult to judge the cabins on Viking without seeing them. I have seen photos of Avalon cabins, but I have no clue what they are like.

Again I can’t speak for cabins on Avalon, but I don’t think any of the cabins on Viking could be described as “large master bedrooms.” While the veranda rooms have a bit more space, it’s basically the width of the space needed for the chair. It’s a good workable size, neither large, nor cramped. As Goldilocks would say, “just right!”

I haven’t stayed in the other types of Viking cabins, but on passing by open doors none looked “cramped.” The bathrooms on the Viking Longships are the same, and again sized just right. The showers are great when compared to most mainstream cruise ship showers.

I’m not sure what point you are trying to make, unless you are just intending your comments for Avalon cruisers. Since this is a general river cruise board, perhaps we should all be sure to specify what line we are speaking of.

Kat. I am not putting down Viking in my comments. I did not mention any line because the line that I saw the pics my Sister & Brother in Law sailed in was NOT Viking. Without first hand experience I wouldn't put down ANY line. I mentioned they sailed on Viking because you assumed my first comment I made to DougK about cabin size was referring to Viking. I have never been on Viking, and would never diss a line that I have no experience on. When Viking moved their corridor off centre, they took room from the French Balcony rooms & gave them to the Veranda rooms, which to me makes sense, as I know on any line I would be upset knowing that the room the "class" below the one I paid for which was cheaper was actually larger. My Sister & Brother in Law have been on several cruises, and are going on 2 more Viking ones this fall. They book the Balcony rooms. The ones they showed us pictures of were tiny, and even though my Brother in Law isn't a big guy, even he was complaining about the shower, as he kept hitting his arms trying to use it.

Once again, as I have NOT sailed on Viking, I would not put it down.... cabin wise or service wise. We chose Avalon because it seemed to be a good fit for us, and were very happy with them, so will probably choose them again. My point in my post was to let DougK know that he would hopefully find a room around 200 sq feet large enough for staying in the cabin without being underfoot of his travelling companion. Where you got the idea I was talking about Viking I don't know.

That seems to be some kind of norm. Many people apparently think everyone should think like them and want what they want. Sometimes I think they actually feel there is something wrong with those with different wants and needs. I always say different strokes for different folks! Whatever floats your boat!

I am not putting down people who like big master bedrooms, just stating an opinion that I don't see the need for them. I wouldn't want to have my bedroom be a box room, I do need some space.

I guess you are not allowed to express any opinion in this forum without having people jump down your throat...I'm out!