Passport Worry

tmickle

We are sailing on a Feb. 17th Royal Caribbean Cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to the Caribbean (Bahamas, St. Thomas, St. Kitts). I just pulled out our passports (There are 4 us) and 3 out of the 4 have some water stains. (Not sure how or when). Two are very minimal, but the picture is affected a bit on my husband's passport. I know I will need to get new passports but am wondering if I can get by with bringing the passports AND birth certificates as you "can" sail without passports. I do realize that I am taking a chance if we need to fly home, but it's not like we don't have passports at all. Since we do have the passports and the numbers aren't affected do you think we are ok? I'm not looking to be flamed here...just in a dilemma. If the cruise was further out I wouldn't hesitate to get new passports, but I think we are taking a chance if we try to get new passports now in time for our cruise. We will be cutting it very close. It will cost a bundle if we have to expedite. so I really don't want to do that. Anyone with experience in using a passport that had water spots/damage and/or using birth/marriage certificates? Thanks in advance!

In your case, I'd bring everything I had- passport, birth certificate, marriage license, AND DRIVERS LICENSE (or other official state photo ID.) Some immigration officials are pickier than others and will reject a passport even for minor damage. A damaged photo will likely be rejected from what I've read. We once had a passport almost rejected just because the cover had a sweat stain on it.

I'm assuming from your post that you are American. Everyone else has to rely solely on their passport.

If you really prefer not to get a passport replacement at this time, just use your birth certificate and gov’t issued ID on check in. Bring your damaged/stained passport just in case it will be accepted when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for your feedback. I was leaning towards bringing the certificates and passport as I'm short on time. I'm hoping there won't be glitches and I'll renew our passports when we return.

Thanks!

I agree with bringing ur birth certificate, drivers license, and passport. I think you will be fine. As far as the flying Home, there’s a world of difference between ‘never had a passport’ and ‘don’t have a valid copy with you’. A friend was traveling in France when their bag (including passport) was stolen. It was easy to replace by going to the US embassy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Without seeing the damage it's hard to say whether or not it will even be an issue. As I understand it as long as the identity information is intact the passport will be accepted but of course each person that looks at it will probably have a different answer. Bringing the birth certificates as a backup isn't a bad plan at all.

We cannot know how badly damaged they are without seeing them

IMO, If you bring the damaged passports, birth certs and go'vt issued photo id's (drivers license) you should be okay.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

Yes, I would do as has been recommended.

Since this is a closed loop cruise bring the birth certificates and the drivers license (for those who drive) and the passports. You fully understand the risk about flying in the case of an emergency.

Have a great time on the cruise.

Keith

If your passport is damaged, the agent may confiscate it. That happened to a friend if mine who travels a lot and the damage on his didn't even affect the picture page. It was just rather travel worn.

Because it was confiscated, he had to go through the new passport process instead of renewal.

In your place, I'd probably go for an expedited renewal. If you decide to travel with the passports, you should bring birth certificates and photo ID as a backup.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Does renewal require you to send in your birth certificate again? Does it require you to send in your old one now? You might try to send off for it now as long as you don’t need to send it your birth certificate which you’ll need as back up for the cruise in case it doesn’t arrive in time. Don’t worry about expediting it because your birth certificate is your back up plan. I applied for a first time passport for me and my child, standard processing, standard shipping and they arrived in my mailbox 13 days later. This was in October/November.

Does renewal require you to send in your birth certificate again? Does it require you to send in your old one now? You might try to send off for it now as long as you don’t need to send it your birth certificate which you’ll need as back up for the cruise in case it doesn’t arrive in time. Don’t worry about expediting it because your birth certificate is your back up plan. I applied for a first time passport for me and my child, standard processing, standard shipping and they arrived in my mailbox 13 days later. This was in October/November.

See the state department page on renewing passports by mail at https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/renew-by-mail.html

We will be renewing ours this spring - well in advance of next year's planned cruise.

See the state department page on renewing passports by mail at https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/renew-by-mail.html

We will be renewing ours this spring - well in advance of next year's planned cruise.

That page includes the following requirement for mail renewal:

If your most recent passport "Is undamaged (other than normal "wear and tear")"

So it is possible that they will have to go through the new passport process.

They could call the National Passport Info Center to ask about whether the passport is acceptable for renewal:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/contact-us/passports.html

Or they could contact a passport service company such as CIBT which will have more experience with the process than individual passport users.

OP - the worst case is that they will let you back home and confiscate the passport, the best case is you get home and nobody says anything. The likely scenario is that you will get home and they will tell you to renew it. If you try to use it after they they will likely confiscate it.