RCCL new Diamond Lounge Policy?

seeyakids

Just off Rhapsody two days ago. Around 200 D/D+/P total onboard, DL was rarely full and often less than a dozen present after 5:30 - first dining, but the overflow area in the "Shall We Dance" lounge was open the whole time every day. Some chose to sit in the overflow area, but seats were usually available inside the DL even at 4:30 - 5:30. {Collective observations by us and fellow cruisers.}

We bounced around from both lounges. But generally came in around 5:30-6:00 pm. CL especially was very busy until then.

16 Ps

52 D+

close to 200 Ds

Edited by island lady

I am 60+D+ and we cruise JS or top balcony grade every time.

On our last cruise we paid for 4 speciality restaurants in the 7 night cruise,we spent plenty in the shops,shore excursions and wine in all the restaurant's.

We also had hot room service breakfast every morning.

We prepaid our tips and gave an extra $200 in cash tips.

Do you think RC appreciate our spend?

Graham

Ditto Graham. We cruise JS at a minimum...unless booking last minute, which is rare. Also tip generously on top of prepay. We also do 2-3 specialty restaurants per cruise.

DL and CL were very full, even with overflows, on Rhapsody last week. Opened up with plenty of seating after 6 pm.

Thanks,some ships do and some don't with instructions from Miami corporate for passengers to use their vouchers.

They are probably hoping once guests use their free drinks they will stay seated in whatever lounge they are in and purchase additional drinks.

I sense the DL change is not to far off.

You can always ask the LA for a set. ;)

We made diamond before Emerald existed.

LOL!! Yaaahh!! A Diamond pin with green color glass versus a tiny piece of clear glass! :p

Yeah, we turned Diamond on a Panama Canal cruise, jumping from Platinum to Diamond, hurtling over Emerald...and was right during "the change".

Thanks,some ships do and some don't with instructions from Miami corporate for passengers to use their vouchers.

They are probably hoping once guests use their free drinks they will stay seated in whatever lounge they are in and purchase additional drinks.

I sense the DL change is not to far off.

And I agree.

Ditto Graham. We cruise JS at a minimum...unless booking last minute, which is rare. Also tip generously on top of prepay. We also do 2-3 specialty restaurants per cruise.

LMaxwell the person who asked the question seemed to insinuate the Younger new cruisers with a family in an inside cabin spend a lot compared to 60+D+ but i think we have both proved that is not the case.

I am 60+D+ and we cruise JS or top balcony grade every time.

On our last cruise we paid for 4 speciality restaurants in the 7 night cruise,we spent plenty in the shops,shore excursions and wine in all the restaurant's.

We also had hot room service breakfast every morning.

We prepaid our tips and gave an extra $200 in cash tips.

Do you think RC appreciate our spend?

Graham

Sure. But I don't think that is average either.

LMaxwell the person who asked the question seemed to insinuate the Younger new cruisers with a family in an inside cabin spend a lot compared to 60+D+ but i think we have both proved that is not the case.

No, I insinuated nothing. I said it would be interesting to see that sort of data. That would answer the question as to how Royal feels about ticking off loyalty members. You haven't proved anything beyond providing your own spending habits. Please read the words I type, not the words you think are there.

It won't be but older people usually have more disposable income and the ability to spend more.

I'd be interested to see the average cost per head for each of those prior scenarios. Maybe the data shows what many of us suspect; families spend more on excursions and soda and gift shops, more mature couples spend more on dining and spa. Don't know, that's my guess. A single poster sharing their own habits doesn't prove things one way or the other, it is just a datapoint. I personally would think your spending habits are above average.

Even if the overflow is not an "official" overflow......you can get your drink in the DL/CL and sit out there.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

That's what a lot of people were doing on Freedom last month. Nearly impossible to get a seat in either lounge during cocktail hour.

No, I insinuated nothing. I said it would be interesting to see that sort of data. That would answer the question as to how Royal feels about ticking off loyalty members. You haven't proved anything beyond providing your own spending habits. Please read the words I type, not the words you think are there.

In North East England it could mean either but never mind.

Island lady and i both answered your question and i think you will be surprised how much some of us actually do spend.

That's what a lot of people were doing on Freedom last month. Nearly impossible to get a seat in either lounge during cocktail hour.

Found seating very limited on the Liberty. Resorted to the vouchers at the R bar. Something I also missed was a separate diamond breakfast area in the MDR such as Radiance had in Sept. A smaller group of people meant easier to meet others and you weren't forced to eat at a large group table where the majority find it difficult to decided what to eat for breakfast! Worse than dinner.

I'd be interested to see the average cost per head for each of those prior scenarios. Maybe the data shows what many of us suspect; families spend more on excursions and soda and gift shops, more mature couples spend more on dining and spa. Don't know, that's my guess. A single poster sharing their own habits doesn't prove things one way or the other, it is just a datapoint. I personally would think your spending habits are above average.

I suppose until some more people post otherwise it is pure guesswork.

As you asked what category do you fall into and what is your average cost per head?.

Found seating very limited on the Liberty. Resorted to the vouchers at the R bar. Something I also missed was a separate diamond breakfast area in the MDR such as Radiance had in Sept. A smaller group of people meant easier to meet others and you weren't forced to eat at a large group table where the majority find it difficult to decided what to eat for breakfast! Worse than dinner.

We always eat in the MDR for all our meals. We have never been forced to eat at a large table. :rolleyes:

As you asked what category do you fall into and what is your average cost per head?.

Probably somewhere in the middle to lower end. No interest in spa treatment. We don't buy drinks packages. I do utilize my drink vouchers, my wife does not. Some cruises we book excursions through the line, some we do not (On a 5 port cruise we had booked 4 excursions through the ship). Have a child with us and typically book Oceanview or Balcony, never a suite. No specialty dining on short cruises, but for our next one (9 night) we got the 3 night package (but by using OBC pre-cruise). Usually a purchase in the gift shop or liquor shop, but no watches, jewelry or other more expensive purchases.

I could go on a 4 day cruise and spend no extra. But beyond that length I find spending a little on different experiences changes things up a bit. Given the amount of junk mail I get from all the major cruise lines I think they are just fine with my spend habit.

Probably somewhere in the middle to lower end. No interest in spa treatment. We don't buy drinks packages. I do utilize my drink vouchers, my wife does not. Some cruises we book excursions through the line, some we do not (On a 5 port cruise we had booked 4 excursions through the ship). Have a child with us and typically book Oceanview or Balcony, never a suite. No specialty dining on short cruises, but for our next one (9 night) we got the 3 night package (but by using OBC pre-cruise). Usually a purchase in the gift shop or liquor shop, but no watches, jewelry or other more expensive purchases.

I could go on a 4 day cruise and spend no extra. But beyond that length I find spending a little on different experiences changes things up a bit. Given the amount of junk mail I get from all the major cruise lines I think they are just fine with my spend habit.

1519144761975.jpg.fae7e0ceaa3efcadad91e896838c38e2.jpg

Good answer.

I get lots of emails and brochures in the post and as their top cruise customer my TA invited us to open the rebranded branch we use.

Graham.

I agree. I don’t have the data to back this up but I’m recently retired and the boss is still working for at least 10 more years. I suspect we spend more on a cruise than most retirees. My kids are cruise too and go all out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I suppose until some more people post otherwise it is pure guesswork.
We are in our 50's and probably spend more than a younger family. Even though we get the drink vouchers....we buy a drink here and there through out the day and after 8 pm. We go to the specialty dining restaurants a few times. My DW goes to the Spa 2 or 3 times and signs up for spin/bootcamp in the fitness center. We never use ship excursions or buy anything in the shops.

With that being said.....My guess though is that seasoned cruiers spend far less than new cruisers in general. A seasoned cruiser knows how to get "deals" on specialty restaraunts and the spa. They don't buy excursions.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk