Drink package worth it?

Hi all! I see there is a BOGO sale on drink packages right now. Currently we are booked on Oasis March 4 in a Crown Loft suite (first time in suite). I've been told that we get free beer and wine from 11:30 until 11pm, and also there is an espresso machine in the lounge for suite guests. I'm just trying to decide if the Deluxe package is worth it. I like mixed drinks, but DH basically drinks beer throughout the day, and then a glass of wine or 2 at dinner (me too). I love lattes, 1 in the morning and 1 while getting ready for dinner, but if the machine is decent enough that will suffice. So, do any of you who book in suites also buy the deluxe package? Is it worth it?

I found the machine to make pretty decent coffee drinks. We have done Oasis - Allure - Oasis with SL access. We were always in an OS and never a CLS. We found the drink package to still be handy. Unless you are on deck 17 going to the SL is out of the way to just grab a "free" drink. We spend the majority of our day on the suite only sun deck and it's a long walk from there to the SL just for a beer. I usually grab a sausage at the dog house for lunch, which is still a long walk to SL for a beer.

Really the only time the "free" drinks were of benefit for us was when we did a pre/post dinner cocktail in the SL.

That being said, only you can decide if the package is overall of benefit for you. It totally depends on how much you might drink. General rule of thumb has been 5-6 drinks per day is close to break even.

I found the machine to make pretty decent coffee drinks. We have done Oasis - Allure - Oasis with SL access. We were always in an OS and never a CLS. We found the drink package to still be handy. Unless you are on deck 17 going to the SL is out of the way to just grab a "free" drink. We spend the majority of our day on the suite only sun deck and it's a long walk from there to the SL just for a beer. I usually grab a sausage at the dog house for lunch, which is still a long walk to SL for a beer.

Really the only time the "free" drinks were of benefit for us was when we did a pre/post dinner cocktail in the SL.

That being said, only you can decide if the package is overall of benefit for you. It totally depends on how much you might drink. General rule of thumb has been 5-6 drinks per day is close to break even.

Thank you. I will pass these tips along to DH. He's not convinced it's worth buying, but best to know all points of view.

If your going to be away on port excursions on several days, you won't be on the ship. But if Labadee is one of your port of calls, you can use your package there... just to make deciding even more complicated ;p

dp

It's $59 per day on our cruise, we are at least getting the refreshment package (for the wife and I) and we will get the voom for 1 device, when I break it down the voom for 1 device is $16 per day, the refreshment package (everything but alcohol) is $18, those two combined are $34, so it's only gonna cost me $25 a day to get the combo deluxe bev pack and voom. That's the cost of 2 mixed drinks...I'm thinking it's a no brainer...

You have to think, do you always want to go to the lounge just to get a drink? To me it be very bothersome to go from where you are on the ship to get another drink in the lounge. You mention your husband drinks beer throughout the day, he isn't going to want to keep going to the lounge for a beer plus I am sure he won't have all the choices of types of beer to choose from in the lounge plus you don't want to go to the lounge to get your latte before dinner, to me, its ok if you are sitting in the lounge but you be in other places all over the ship its just a pain to go to the lounge to keep getting your drinks don't you think? A real inconvenience for me think about how it would be for you.

Also, not sure what time you go to bed but the lounge closes at 11, so if you stay up past this time which you probably will are you willing to pay regular prices for the drinks and if your dining and if you have the drink package you can be comfortable and enjoy your dinner and having the drink package you be able to get whatever you want and relax.

Your on vacation, you are there to relax and enjoy yourself, make it easier for you both and my suggestion is to purchase the drink package, have the convenience and not worry to keep going back to the lounge for a beer/cocktail.

I do at least one latte, and a few bottles of water, in addition to my several mixed drinks and 2 wines a day, so for me the package is worth it.

I am neither suite nor diamond, so for me the package is worth it. Will re-evaluate when I am diamond :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you. I will pass these tips along to DH. He's not convinced it's worth buying, but best to know all points of view.

I think he's right...you have to drink a lot of drinks to get your $$'s worth...even using the BOGO offering.

If you're willing to do all your drinking in the CL then a package probably won't be worth it. You can't take drinks "to go". But, if you'll only be drinking a few drinks outside the lounge, it's cheaper to just buy those you do want, and not get the package. Personally, we like to be "out and about", and not confined to a special room for our drinks!

If you're willing to do all your drinking in the CL then a package probably won't be worth it. You can't take drinks "to go". But, if you'll only be drinking a few drinks outside the lounge, it's cheaper to just buy those you do want, and not get the package. Personally, we like to be "out and about", and not confined to a special room for our drinks!

Oh I thought you could take drinks from the lounge to other areas? That would definitely make a difference. Thanks everyone!

Oh I thought you could take drinks from the lounge to other areas? That would definitely make a difference. Thanks everyone!

Since the advent of the drink vouchers, they don't much care if you are taking drinks out anymore.

I have taken a drink "to go" from the lounge to dinner. Then went back after dinner and got another drink to take to the show. Maybe it depends on the bartender if they will give you a to-go drink?

This is exactly what I’m trying to figure out “is it worth it.” Last year on Allure we had a suite and we are Diamonds so we had access to free drinks in the suite lounge most of the day and the Diamond 3 drinks in the evening. We also went to some of the parties for Diamond members and had free drinks. The issue was if we wanted a beer or wine we had to have the choices on the Diamond list and go to the suite lounge which is sometimes pretty far away. It actually got kind of aggravating so I’m really leaning toward a drink package! Plus the water, lattes, and soda and the sale. I’m thinking we are going to give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think he's right...you have to drink a lot of drinks to get your $$'s worth...even using the BOGO offering.

Actually, you really don’t have to drink a LOT, to make it cost effective. If you prefer good coffee, bottled water, soda and alcoholic beverages of any kind, you’ll be surprised how quickly that all adds up.

We used to be drink package nay sayers...until we purchased them on our last cruise. I can’t imagine cruising again, without buying the DBP. I just hope they’re still doing the BOGO by the time they open it up for our Dec. B2B.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's $59 per day on our cruise, we are at least getting the refreshment package (for the wife and I) and we will get the voom for 1 device, when I break it down the voom for 1 device is $16 per day, the refreshment package (everything but alcohol) is $18, those two combined are $34, so it's only gonna cost me $25 a day to get the combo deluxe bev pack and voom. That's the cost of 2 mixed drinks...I'm thinking it's a no brainer...

This is pretty much how I see it as well. Makes the decision SOOOO simple.

dp

We tried it, and while we both got our moneys worth, we found it was not for us. Port days are the killer for me. Found I was ordering drinks to keep up with the package, not because I wanted them. None went to waste though.

We do like the idea of it. Was nice to be able to order and know it was already taken care of. But in the future I think I'll just take some of the money we would have spent on packages and apply it to our on board account. No pressure to meet the goal that way.

By the way, we bought at $41 a day. Mine figured out to 3.4 $12 drinks a day. This is with 18% included. Very easy if you never get off the ship. But two of my port days included drinking on the excursions, and when I got back to the ship just wasn't too interested.. Not good planning on my part.

Also got a few waters and a soda or two.

Edited by dwayneb236

On our last cruise on Brilliance, this is how we determined that a drink package wasn't worth it:

We realized we were going on these really lengthy day excursions (Rome, Athens, practically every port) we were going to be GONE off the ship in every port! So, dollar for dollar, the package simply wasn't worth it, first off, we don't drink that much anyway, but the individual drinks we did pay for were worth it since we had a lot of OBC as it was.

Consider your itineraries while in port.

ANOTHER tip: If you do buy drinks not on a package, realize that while the ship is in port, you pay hefty taxes. In Cape Liberty, the taxes are insane. Granted, not enough to sweat over, but once the ship is declared underway from the pier, these taxes go away.

So..... first time cruiser here so please ignore my ignorance in understanding...

I'll be sailing on LOS, you mean I can't use my deluxe drink package to get a drink anywhere on board?

You can use your package at any bar or restaurant on board.

I was told in Chops that the package did not include alcoholic coffees. But then they brought me one, no charge. :)