Forgap & Rumor, Singapore-Sydney, Feb. 2-20, 2018--LIVE!

Mr Rumor

For those interested in an alternative to the Great Barrier Reef Adventure for their day in Cairns, Jungle Train & Amphibious Army Duck ($159 upcharge) is a very nice excursion.

It was about a half hour drive to Freshwater, where we boarded the Kuranda Scenic Railway with Carmel, our peppy, Cairns-born guide, for the 90-minute journey to Kuranda. In a vintage carriage dating back more than 100 years, we ascended 327 meters above sea level through Barron Gorge National Park:

f6bbf01d338376b6acd099925014d6f1.jpg

After we had passed through 14 tunnels we were treated to this view (the Coral Sea is in the distance):

2b8e5bb42213102d88f2b93017fe8494.jpg

Once we arrived at the historic Kuranda Station we reboarded our bus for the short drive to RainForeStation Nature Park. There we embarked on a 35-minute tour of the former orange and coffee plantation turned World Heritage rainforest, narrated by our delightful driver Brendan. Brendan pointed out various rainforest standouts such as the Giant Tree Fern, which dates back 150 million years:

aff9a3049434197c8d2343c6c5ac16cb.jpg

Then our World War II vintage Duck hit the water for a short lake cruise:

9da8c32831bdf0e3fe89f71315227aac.jpg

Afterwards we had about a half an hour to walk the RainForeStation’s Koala Wildlife Park. Ginny fed a kangaroo, but it was the koalas we were most interested in. We needed to be patient with the several we photographed, as they were sleepy (we were reminded that koalas sleep for approximately 20 hours a day, noshing for the other four). Finally, this little guy opened his eyes and looked right at me. He kinda made our day:

c63adbf9aab03bb4c6fab5ffd850426d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We went on the Great Barrier Reef excursion with about 200 of our new best friends on a giant catamaran. We arrived at the Reef after about an hour and a half and boarded a pontoon stocked with the our flippers, masks, and wetsuits. Some of us looked like ninjas in our outfits and some of us looked like Shamu the whale! In fact, my husband innocently asked whey a woman was not wearing a bra when the wet suit was half unzipped. (He’s French!) It was a guy, and, yes, with weight gain we are all a bit androgynous!

e9fb52b40936e22064e020fa10aefee4.jpg

I had not anticipated the wave action on the Reef and I was a bit seasick on approach and definitely seasick when I was bobbing about on the Reef. After “feeding the fish”(and I was not alone) I opted out and slept on and off until the return to the pier. The down side of all this was this was a pricey Regent Choice excursion and nothing but a basic swim was included - everything else was an upcharge. There were some fish, but nothing to write home about.

dca5ee6475d3b8a92beffe85b1d13cb0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On our return to the ship, I had 5 minutes to shower and rush down to the SSS gold and above event which was a show by an all male aboriginal dance troupe. The most interesting aspect was the didgeridoo which can replicate sounds of all the indigenous fauna.

506c3bf9f1184bbd99e14cfb7d90255c.jpg

This was a great show. Some pictures:

2e0f5b4d60922806a7b543d55e0eb1c4.jpg

d59de9162c4c669bf466c962af0fd1ab.jpg

2d92af35bc6eecca5e56ceb01a522a3c.jpg

And last, but not least, my co-blogger Rich, trying to look serious. He is such a joyful soul that this is the best he could do!

fee33733f65d010ed5a5db605646160b.jpg

I guess it’s pretty obvious that I need to work on the warrior piece! Grrrrrrrr!

Before introducing the Tjapujai dance troupe at the TPG event, Cruise Consultant Goodrun gave a Spendor update. She said that as early as the second half of next month more info will be available on Splendor deck plans and “how suites will look,” and that sometime in April reservations should begin being taken for the Spendor’s expected Spring, 2020 Maiden Voyage.

Gudrun added that an announcement on the 2021 World Cruise is expected to come in July, followed by the release of the Spring, 2020 Regent cruise schedule in August.

Hi Rich (and Ginny) and Jennifer (and Georges), now that we are home from our Mariner South American voyage, can take more time to enjoy your blog.

Jennifer sorry to hear about the problematic GBR choice excursion--we did this (snorkeling) privately last year on the Voyager Grand Voyage. There were about a dozen of us--swell was reasonable, snorkeling was just average (lack of sealife, blanching of some coral)

We have two days in Cairns this December on the Mariner Grand Voyage and most likely will do the Skyrail, Kuranda & Cairns first day, then Qigong in Rainforest village (practice Qigong weekly now during Tai Chi classes).

Rich, thanks for the future cruise fidelity/information.

Wes, glad to know that you and Ida made it back safely from your SA adventure. Hope that Jennifer’s and my continued posting from Down Under will further whet your appetite for your upcoming epic Australia circumnavigation.

Hello from Townsville! Have to post and run as Ginny and I have a 7:15 a.m. departure (the eight hour World Heritage Rainforest Discovery).

d917f2fadff272107b99a95156fb4c4d.jpg

0cb7079a9e0f528b89a9e0bee49f0aee.jpg

Edited by Mr Rumor

Townsville is larger than I expect due to the Australian military presence. It was a major hub in WWII for both Australian and US forces and thus a target for Japanese air raids.

We chose a tour of Townsville and a visit to the Billibong Wildlife Sanctuary. We were fortunate to be the first tour at the sanctuary as the heat was like a living thing as the day progressed, surrounding and suffocating. At the end of the tour we went up to Castle Rock, the high point overlooking the city and a popular spot for trekkers. I didn’t want to move, never mind, trek, train, or whatever possesses the physically fit to do with their bodies. There was an ambulance tending to someone on the way down and our guide nonchalantly said it was probably heat stroke. The views, however were amazing.

2fb9e257d4071591c141db52ba492b5c.jpg

The sanctuary was great and we were able to interact with the animals. This is Bingo, the Koala.

7a1a71c86d30c34c37513043a9ed3d1e.jpg

....and a wallaby:

b3bd24b66ced0016cf2043a9aa1541a4.jpg

I missed Cookville and the jumping crocs so we got a little dose of that here.

2e34684e7372076639aee2f8d84d254c.jpg

I had to post a pic of my consummate bravery! (Fake croc, of course!)

be43a437d3bc211056c7cfa7d5e39fa1.jpg

If you wanted to beat the heat today in Townsville, the World Heritage Rainforest Discovery excursion ($139 upcharge) was your ticket. It’s an all-day tour and we returned just minutes before we set sail at 4 p.m.

The Paloma Range National Park is a part of the Wet Tropics World Heritage Area, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and part of an ecosystem stretching from Townsville to just north of Cairns that UNESCO has dubbed one of the several most irreplaceable ecosystems on our planet. So we were delighted to walk a tiny sliver of it (in the cool of the shade!) with Ross, our terrific guide/driver. Ross expertly paced our walk, stopping every few minutes to educate us on such topics as the various critical layers in a rainforest, from decomposition to “emergent”; how plants “water themselves” (picture fat leaves with a “drip tip”), and how a parasitic launches its ultimately fatal attack on a host tree from the emergent, or highest, layer, where light will propel its growth.

Ross had mentioned on our drive to the park that lunch at the Hidden Valley Cabins would be prepared by “mom and dad.” I had assumed he was using a term of endearment, but Ross was referring to his actual mom and dad, Ian and Bonnie, the proprietors (Ross and wife are partners in the family business)! Ross asked us how we’d like dad to grill our steaks, and then phoned our order in to pop, a nice touch. Lunch was in the open air at the cabins and also featured grilled sausages and a variety of vegetarian sides, plus Bonnie’s homemade bread. Ginny was happy with her grilled veggie dogs.

Ross broke up the two hour drive back to the ship with a short stop at Little Crystal Creek, where a number of us from the two small buses (capacity: 21 each) felt frisky enough to go traipsing around on the rocks and concrete steps in search of a photo op.

Our hottest moment of the day? The long walk on the pier back to the ship, enough to finally break a sweat!

Mango ice cream at 9 a.m. at our comfort stop? You bet if it is home made from mangoes that are grown by Frosty Mango in the field next to the ice cream shop and served to us by Mangoman!

f6ca732ca3c83e3e6153fdf0763fc815.jpg

Before entering the rainforest, we enjoyed this view of the Great Barrier Reef in the distance from McClelland’s Outlook:

f7f148455d367e1d5195b315e006eaad.jpg

Once inside the rainforest, Russ proved to be a wonderful instructor and guide.

449fe17720525a53050ab13481e1ba37.jpg

A small portion of a fig tree parasitic having its way with a host tree, having attacked from the emergent layer:

2933b9a93f8b9504be48c6a9fbd2d9f5.jpg

Can you feel the cool?

e522fd92474247e6f9ed6bb14011b429.jpg

Edited by Mr Rumor

Stargazing tonight and we had a huge turnout with a Navigation Officer as our guide and star maps passed out by the ACD. It was a wonderful evening with a lightning light show off the Australia coast. Deck 12 was completely dark. Wonderful!

Jackie and Roberto, thanks for the kind words!

Just wanted to add that Star Gazing tonight brought back fond memories of Astronomer David Aguilar's night-time meet-ups on Deck 12 when he served as Enrichment Lecturer on our 2012 Mariner TA. And the crowd tonight was every bit as large, upwards of 100 or so before clouds started to roll in. I hope Regent will make Star Gazing a regular event!

Fond memories for us too! On a Mariner 2009 Panama Canal cruise, the lecturer was an amateur astronomer also, who gave a couple of wonderful star gazing talks on the darkened deck. This is still one of my favorite Regent memories.

Could it be Krew Kapers time already? It's in today's Passages right there after the words "Captain's Farewell Reception," so it's true.

Even though there is always that slightly bittersweet feeling knowing our cruise is winding down, it's great to end on a Kapers high note. We love being entertained by, and celebrating, our talented and spirited crew.

Krew Kapers is my cue to share some crew stats with you. Would you believe that our 450 Voyager crew members hail from 35 countries and five continents?

As usual, the Philippines leads the way with 160 crew members--112 males + 48 females. India follows with 86, all males (I'm only aware of two Indian female Regent crew, a second purser and a butler). Indonesia is third with 63--55 males + eight females.

Here is the complete Crew Nationality Breakdown for Singapore-Sydney:

Philippines, 160

India, 86

Indonesia, 63

Ukraine, 16

United States, 12

Italy, 10

United Kingdom, 8

Romania, 8

South Africa, 8

Bulgaria, 7

Panama, 7

Serbia, 7

France, 6

Honduras, 6

Belarus, 5

Myanmar, 5

Mauritius, 4

Mexico, 4

Brazil, 3

Croatia, 3

Portugal, 3

Russian Federation, 3

Canada, 2

Germany, 2

Nepal, 2

Austria, 1

Finland, 1

Hungary, 1

Sri Lanka, 1

Montenegro, 1

Nicaragua, 1

New Zealand, 1

Peru, 1

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, 1

Thailand, 1

Executive Chef Hamza—here with GM Massimo—has reeled in one heckuva Seafood Extravaganza Buffet on the Pool Deck. Left to right you see a kingfish, a couple of crimson snappers and Big Daddy, a yellowfin tuna. All of course are on the buffet menu, along with green mussels, crab legs, jumbo shrimp, sushi, sashimi and more!

e7403eb86202c44c28f6bda5013523a1.jpg

Edited by Mr Rumor

Gjkov, glad you have enjoyed the blog and that your appetite is further whetted for this itinerary.

Captain Felice has made us aware of Cyclone Gita. A little online research has revealed that Gita has already hit Tonga very hard, and also Fiji, and is currently rated a "severe" Category 3 tropical storm as it heads toward New Zealand.

In his noon report from the bridge, the captain reported that Gita is currently located about 500 miles off our port side. He said that while we will be largely unaffected, we will still feel the "long swells" while navigating to Brisbane, where we are due to dock at 9 tomorrow morning. We are in fact feeling those swells at the moment (just after 4:30 p.m.).

You can easily Google the latest on Gita. Current models show the cyclone making landfall in NZ next Tuesday, five days before the Voyager is scheduled to begin its two-day Tasman Sea crossing, to be followed by a cruise of Milford Sound and then calls on a handful of NZ ports.

Rich

Edited by Mr Rumor

As hard as it is to say goodbye to the Voyager for you, Rich, it will be even harder for those of us sitting in a cool, darkish Europe and mesmerised by your photos of sunshine, colourful flowers and even more colourful life "down under". Thanks for taking us along on your cruise - and for a short time each day taking us out of February!!

Gerry