Southampton Cruise Port question

Superfragger

Hi everyone. Quick question about the Southampton cruise port. Is boarding in a secure port area like we see in the US, in example Port Everglades?

Just curious if I'm better off carrying on my own luggage or if the porters in port are trustworthy. From experience travelling in Europe, there are a lot of scammers.

You can actually view your luggage being placed on the conveyer and being loaded on to the ship.

That sounds awesome. My biggest fear when boarding at Port Everglades is leaving our luggage with the porters, so actually being able to see it go on the conveyor like at the airport is a huge plus.

A lot of regular Southampton cruisers refer to the facility as "the hole in the wall". There are a number of different terminals at Southampton all manned by a number of members of staff who typically collect suitcases from cars and taxis and remind people that they need their passports to not be in the cases. They take the cases and put them though the wall. People also approach the building and get assistance on which "hole" is appropriate for self depositing if that's what people want to do. Security is good in my opinion and the personnel are first rate.

Regards John.

The staff at Southampton are well paid and value their job.

If they are caught scamming clients, they will lose their job.

Result you are very unlikely to have anyone try to take advantage of you.

Other countries, mostly outside Europe, employ port staff on low salaries on the assumption they will receive tips. In those circumstances it can be difficult to distinguish between a reasonable level of tips and, as we say, ‘being taken for a ride’.

The OP may have been scammed somewhere in Europe, but it was almost certainly not by a person on a salary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cruising out of Miami for first time in March having only left via Southampton previously. Sounds like I need to be careful in Miami port? What do I need to be aware of?

I have found that tipping the quayside guy/s that take your case/s is reassuring but probably not actually necessary. I still do it.

Regards John

That was my thought too, but out my f Fort Lauderdale, what do we need to be aware of.....

We always tip the porters at Fort Lauderdale and have never had a problem although, on our most recent cruise, when I tipped the porter we used on disembarking, he made a point of telling me that it had taken longer because we were no able to use the fast track lane at immigration.

True - but he knew which lane we were in before we handed over our bags.

I did not respond to his comment and there was no problem.

Hi everyone. Quick question about the Southampton cruise port. Is boarding in a secure port area like we see in the US, in example Port Everglades?

Just curious if I'm better off carrying on my own luggage or if the porters in port are trustworthy. From experience travelling in Europe, there are a lot of scammers.

I haven’t experienced port Everglades but we embarked from Southampton last April and we had no problems. Super smooth, except one of the wheels of one of our luggage pieces was delivered to our suite broken with no note advising us. It was repaired on board but with a non matching wheel. Same piece got damaged by Southwest Airlines before that so it could happen anywhere.

That was my thought too, but out my f Fort Lauderdale, what do we need to be aware of.....

When I apparently didn't tip them enough - and these are wellpaid longshoremen on nearly $40 per hour - my bag arrived on board but without tags on and somewhat damaged.

Ft Lauderdale embarkation baggage handling is a racket and something the Port Authority should be ashamed of.

I have never had any problem in any port US or UK or South America. I do like the fact that in Europe they pay their people a decent wage and do not rely on tips anywhere. I just wish they would do the same in the US. I tip when boarding in PE, Galveston, SF, LA and Seattle of course. As for handling your luggage, if you have ever watched them stack it up in big containers and then use a fork lift to load it on the ship, you would know what happens to it. If your bag is unluckily on the bottom, it could receive some damage. This is true of airlines as well. It is a wonder more luggage is not damaged. I have had luggage damaged on airlines as well as ships. One of the risks of traveling in mass transit and my luggage shows it.

One of the best ports in the whole of this troubled world. Right from the many drop off points to check in, all goes as smooth as a baby's bottom. As a previous poster comments " Miami you can keep it"

I agree. It was one of the best handoffs at the dock we have seen. It ranks right up there with Copenhagen.

From the time that we handed over our luggage to porters and went through all the necessary check in details, our embarkation in Southampton was the best of anywhere we have departed from. Very courteous porters and staff made that part of the cruise all the more enjoyable. We have experienced a few blips when leaving from Ft. Lauderdale. My son, who should not have left loose change in one of the outer pockets of his suitcase, arrived in his cabin and found that the coins from the suitcase pocket were gone. Not a big loss but obviously someone went through the pockets on his bag. We have also had torn bags and broken wheels off two suitcases and while the repairs were done on board, some of the clothes that were in the torn bag had been subjected to water or rain and were ruined. The porters in Ft. Lauderdale have their hand out before you even hand your bags over. Shameful.

Barb

Other countries, mostly outside Europe, employ port staff on low salaries on the assumption they will receive tips. In those circumstances it can be difficult to distinguish between a reasonable level of tips and, as we say, ‘being taken for a ride’.

The OP may have been scammed somewhere in Europe, but it was almost certainly not by a person on a salary.

As sad as this sounds, the people in Miami and FLL get paid well, even before tips and still act like we must tip them.

When I apparently didn't tip them enough - and these are wellpaid longshoremen on nearly $40 per hour - my bag arrived on board but without tags on and somewhat damaged.

Ft Lauderdale embarkation baggage handling is a racket and something the Port Authority should be ashamed of.

That sounds quite concerning, not looking forward to first trip to USA if that is the welcome!