Delta changed flight time

MsBST2

If you are flying to/from Vancouver direct your flight is WestJet even if it appears to be Delta. It is a code share. We used it last summer with no issues. Flight times do get changed. 1115AM in very tight in Vancouver as you go through both Canada and US Customs/immigration in Vancouver. If you have Global Entry or Nexus, it is doable, if you do walk off and take a taxi to the airport.

Good luck.

A flight change that large should let you change the flight for free, usu. >1hr is enough to have the agent make the change. Best to call with an idea of what alternative flight you want to change to so the phone agent needs less time to make the swap. Nice thing about schedule changes is that they don't charge the difference in fares, so if there's a more expensive flight at a better time that's fair game to ask to switch to.

A good hypothetical example is that you booked the 3p departure because the 1p was +$250 per person, but a schedule change on the 3p to a 4:15p means you can ask to switch to the 1p and if there's space the fare difference should be waived.

If the airline has changed your flight time, the money situation is out of play--they MUST put you on a flight that meets your needs and gets you to your destination. Look up what flights exist, call Delta, and prepare to negotiate. They do this to people all the time..and Delta seems to be the worst of the airlines in this regard.

We once had a flight change that not only went from non-stop from NY to Fort Lauderdale to a stop in Dallas, but also would no longer have us reaching our cruise in time.

I called the TA (not our cruise TA) who we booked the flight with. and they would do nothing. I was about to call my credit card company to dispute the charge, but then my DW suggested calling the airline. They cancelled our booking and credited our charge card. They really had nothing that worked, but we were able to book with another airline (not using the online TA, but direct with an airline website.)

Edited by ontheweb
spelling correction

Yes, Delta is def. one of the worst!!!

So, the situation is the you will disembark at Vancouver, and need to make the flight?

We have only done that once...

If you take your own luggage and do walk-off, where you can get off the ship fairly soon, then I think it might be doable.

I forget the service we used... But, they were waiting right there for us when we walked off. Never even got wet in the Vancouver rain... And while it is a bit of a drive, the guy had us to the airport quickly. We weren't flying Delta on that one... Different airline.... But we got there so early we saw that an earlier flight was leaving soon, the agent said she could switch us over to the early flight... we took off and went right thru customs, boarded the flight shortly before they closed the gate... and got home earlier than expected.

We really lucked out on that one!!!! Had good seats, too!

Thank you all. Yes there is a Delta flight later at almost double what I paid. Thanks

This happens frequently. A schedule change of more than an hour will generally allow you to change to another flight that better suits your needs for free. See this link

1. Research which flights you want to change to (get flight numbers)
  2. Give Delta a call: (1-800-221-1212)
  3. Let them know that you had a schedule change that doesn't work for you, and you'd like to change based on the greater than 60 minute schedule change.
  4. Give them the flights numbers that you want.
  5. They'll do some ticketing magic, and you'll be set!

Let us know how it turns out!

[Edit] Looks like you took care of it before I could pipe in. Travel safe!!

Edited by Trent212
updated information

If the airline has changed your flight time' date=' the money situation is out of play--they MUST put you on a flight that meets your needs and gets you to your destination. Look up what flights exist, call Delta, and prepare to negotiate. They do this to people all the time..and Delta seems to be the worst of the airlines in this regard.[/quote']

Delta just changed my flight to the 1pm and no additional charge.. Again Thank you

Glad it worked out. For others reading this, airline schedule changes (especially with Delta) are things I hope for. Often I book the least expensive flight or a less-than-ideal connection using miles. But when there is a schedule change of 60 minutes or more, I go to delta.com (or whichever airline I booked with), find the connection that I like best then call the airline and ask them to change my reservation to the preferred connection that I saw online. 99% of the time the airline is accommodating. The only restriction is that they basically need to keep you on their own airline's equipment and not on a partner.

You did well!

Glad it worked out. For others reading this, airline schedule changes (especially with Delta) are things I hope for. Often I book the least expensive flight or a less-than-ideal connection using miles. But when there is a schedule change of 60 minutes or more, I go to delta.com (or whichever airline I booked with), find the connection that I like best then call the airline and ask them to change my reservation to the preferred connection that I saw online. 99% of the time the airline is accommodating. The only restriction is that they basically need to keep you on their own airline's equipment and not on a partner.

You did well!

Seems like a lot of hassle to save a couple of bucks, but to each their own.

Seems like a lot of hassle to save a couple of bucks, but to each their own.

No hassle at all. I always book a connection that I can live with. Often that connection is great. Sometimes it is not. Especially using miles the connection is not always ideal. I had a flight from Sydney Australia to the USA via Seoul Korea using miles. Required two connections. Sure it was a bit "out of the way" but lie-flat seats in business class made it worth it compared to flying more directly. The airline had a schedule change so that I would have misconnected. Called United after looking online at options. United switched me to their flights (the exact ones I saw online that worked), needed only one connection. Sure it was great, but even if I flew via Seoul it would have been perfectly fine. To each their own :D

United seems to be better about this kind of sltuff....

Delta is just awful!!!!

We booked great flights to Hawaii...

Delta changed it several times, until it was nowhere near what we had booked....

They even 'cancelled' the good flight, so that nobody could get back on it.

Not only that, but the very last flight, which was Hawaiian Air, no Delta options there... was moved way back so that we sat at the Honolulu airport for nearly three hours, instead of getting to our resort on Kaual.

They would NOT work with us....

It was 'code-share'.... Delta blamed Hawaiian.... Hawaiian blamed Delta...

It was a nightmare. I was near tears over dealing with this last minute issue on our wonderful bucket list trip to Hawaii.

Guess what... the flights and seats that we had originally booked, reappeared, at almost DOUBLE what we had paid.

We had to just finally give up and cancel and book another airline, with last minute crappy seats on crappy aircraft.

Delta knows exactly what they are doing.

They are evil.

Thank you all. Yes there is a Delta flight later at almost double what I paid. Thanks

The price of the other flight does not matter. They changed your flight and if the earlier one they put you on does not work for you then should put you on it for free. I've had to do with with United before and it was no problem. They even changed my return airport because the flights didn't work back to the same airport we flew into. So, just call and get it taken care of.

The Vancouver security line is horrendous. If you have Global Entry, you will be fine. If you do not have Global Entry, then you need to change your flight. Interesting thing about the Vancouver Airport is that if you are flying into the USA, you go through immigration there (check passports).

Good luck!

Thank you for this reminder to check my Delta flights for our Alaska cruise. They had cancelled one of my original flights but did email me about it and I was able to switch to an earlier flight for no charge (we now have to be at the Anchorage airport at 6am though). Recently there was an equipment change and I didn't get an email about it, just happened to notice it when I was checking everything. Our seat assignments were of course screwed up by the new plane but I was able to redo them. I now try to check my reservation every weekend. And after this reminder, I will definitely be doing so.

Delta is just awful!!!!

Actually I have had substantial schedule changes with both airlines. In fact, after having the issue I described above being rerouted on a trip (using United miles) and getting it rebooked, then United changed one of my flights again (actually canceled one) so that I have an extra 2-3 hour travel time. Sh!t happens with every airline. Unfortunately the contracts of carriage of every airline allow them to change the schedule at will. You are not even guaranteed to arrive the same day that you booked. True with every airline!

You are not even guaranteed to arrive the same day that you booked. True with every airline!

True--Delta once changed me and has me arriving a day later, far too late to make it to the cruise terminal! This after I'd book a "fly in the day before" flight. I called them and worked it out to something that, while not really satisfactory, at least got me there in time for the cruise. The not so funny thing was that the entire reason I went with Delta was the timing on that flight that they supposedly canceled.

Thanks for the good information. I'm glad to see direct flights to Vancouver from FLL. We will definitely check it out when we book our next Alaska voyage. Hopefully, they have a direct to FLL from Vancouver to make our day.

Delta is just awful!!!!

Guess what... the flights and seats that we had originally booked, reappeared, at almost DOUBLE what we had paid.

Delta knows exactly what they are doing.

They are evil.

We are having the same problem with United! There are 9 of us and they have changed our flights home from Vancouver twice so far. We now stop two times and don't get home until over four hours after when we were originally supposed to arrive. Our flights are still available but for a lot more money than we originally booked booked with princess air. How can they do that? Unbelievable! :mad::mad::mad: