Finding a Luxury Cruise That Fits

LauraS

Will try to address Viking vs. luxury cruise lines by typing in beneath your comments. First, I do want to say that Viking Ocean ships look beautiful. Viking Ocean was able to get some Regent officers to leave Regent and go to Viking. As least half of them have come back (not saying anything bad about working there - they just preferred Regent).

Just thought of one more thing....... the size of Viking Ocean ships. I will once again ignore Crystal and address the three other luxury cruise lines. The maximum number of passengers on a luxury cruise line is 750 (and that is only one ship - Regent's newest). Viking Ocean is huge compared to luxury cruise lines.

In any case, if you enjoy Viking Ocean, there is no reason to change unless you want to inclusivity, larger suites and a smaller ship.

This last is exactly what I’m thinking about. We saw a Regent ship leaving port when we were in Amsterdam. I thought it looked like a huge ship, then I found out there were only 700-750 passengers, and I thought, “I could go for that!”

So I’ll keep checking around and when we’re ready to book our next, I’ll definitely look at Regent as well. That’s the line I’m leaning towards if Viking doesn’t fit the bill.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hapag LLoyd does put a limit on the number of children on board as well

i think i saw the most annoying kids on a Crystal cruise from New York to Montreal for sure !!

(children from wealthy parents cursing the crew on deck and Lido )

As we are doing this cruise on Crystal Symphony in late September I hope we will not have a similar situation!

This will be our first cruise on Crystal; I had not heard they were that formal; is that still the case?

It’s interesting to me that Sea Dream never comes up in discussions of luxury lines (I see there are several mentions in the article): I was not impressed on our one cruise.

This will be our first cruise on Crystal; I had not heard they were that formal; is that still the case?

No, it's not. They got rid of formal evenings and now have "black tie optional" nights once a week or so. Even on those nights it really is optional, and I didn't even get a sly look wearing plain cotton pants and a blouse to dinner.

No, it's not. They got rid of formal evenings and now have "black tie optional" nights once a week or so. Even on those nights it really is optional, and I didn't even get a sly look wearing plain cotton pants and a blouse to dinner.

Thanks; that’s a relief!

Not trying to disagree with you and we have not been on Crystal but I read that men must at least wear a jacket on Black Tie Optional nights so I looked it up on the Crystal website and found the following:

BLACK TIE OPTIONAL

A Black Tie Optional evening offers our guests a celebratory opportunity to dress more formally. Guests dining in the restaurants, with the exception of Tastes, are asked to adhere to the Black Tie Optional dress code. We ask that at least a jacket be worn by men for dinner. On Black Tie Optional evenings, if you choose to change your attire following the evening dinner festivities, please maintain a minimum style of dress in keeping with the dress code described above in Crystal Casual.

So, while you may have been fine with cotton pants and a top, it sounds as if Crystal would prefer a higher standard. Were you dining in Tastes where the dress code is less formal?

Not trying to disagree with you and we have not been on Crystal but I read that men must at least wear a jacket on Black Tie Optional nights so I looked it up on the Crystal website and found the following:

BLACK TIE OPTIONAL

A Black Tie Optional evening offers our guests a celebratory opportunity to dress more formally. Guests dining in the restaurants, with the exception of Tastes, are asked to adhere to the Black Tie Optional dress code. We ask that at least a jacket be worn by men for dinner. On Black Tie Optional evenings, if you choose to change your attire following the evening dinner festivities, please maintain a minimum style of dress in keeping with the dress code described above in Crystal Casual.

So, while you may have been fine with cotton pants and a top, it sounds as if Crystal would prefer a higher standard. Were you dining in Tastes where the dress code is less formal?

I didn't say there wasn't a dress code, I said it wasn't formal. There is a dress code on the entire ship after 6 pm every night, not just in the restaurants and not just on BTO nights, and it is enforced......but that wasn't what sandbag7 asked about. After 6 pm, shorts and baseball caps are prohibited. And even though men are required to wear a jacket on those nights, wearing formal/black tie is optional.

I was in the MDR, not Tastes, and I didn't really care if Crystal would have preferred me to be in dressier clothes. What I was trying to point out -- the important part -- was that neither they (nor any of the passengers) made me feel badly for wearing what I did. Some nights I wore dressier clothes, but some nights I did not.

Just wanted sandbag to have both sides of the issue - the official dress code as well as the fact that they can dress down a bit if they are comfortable doing so. I personally would have dressed up a bit more but would not have worn a cocktail dress ..... Perhaps a silk blouse and long skirt or Nice slacks.

I didn't say there wasn't a dress code, I said it wasn't formal. There is a dress code on the entire ship after 6 pm every night, not just in the restaurants and not just on BTO nights, and it is enforced......but that wasn't what sandbag7 asked about. After 6 pm, shorts and baseball caps are prohibited. And even though men are required to wear a jacket on those nights, wearing formal/black tie is optional.

I was in the MDR, not Tastes, and I didn't really care if Crystal would have preferred me to be in dressier clothes. What I was trying to point out -- the important part -- was that neither they (nor any of the passengers) made me feel badly for wearing what I did. Some nights I wore dressier clothes, but some nights I did not.

We find Crystal and it’s cruisers to be very “live and let live.” It’s a comfortable mostly casual environment and i’m sure very few if anyone cared what you were wearing.

Just enjoy is the name of the game.

Thanks for all the comments; i had read up on Crystal before I booked and I’m good with the dress limitations; on the New York - Montreal cruise I will need a coat for certain NY restaurants I will enjoy pre-cruise so it’s no biggie, I was concerned that something might have changed, but I see I’m good to go.

IMO Dress codes like Butlers, are a product of the desires of certain mostly older passengers to pretend they are upper class twits. It’s particularly ridiculous in the warmer climate cruises. That being said I’m grateful that I won’t have to see people wearing caps or shorts at dinner at least; I find they are commonly (caps anyway) political statements as much as anything, so Crystal’s dress code works for me.

I find the whole luxury cruise classification issue problematic. We like to arrange our own port tours so Regent will never work for us economically. All inclusive drinks are not particularly attractive as we prefer bringing our own wine aboard for dinners and drink little otherwise. We do search out good cuisine and will continue to do so, understanding the limitations of freshness and preparation presented in serving at sea.

T

IMO Dress codes like Butlers, are a product of the desires of certain mostly older passengers to pretend they are upper class twits. It’s particularly ridiculous in the warmer climate cruises. T.

While I agreed with most of your post, I found the above judgmental and untrue. No one is pretending to be upper class or anything else. Some people (of all ages) enjoy dressing up when going to a fine dining restaurant - whether it be on land or at sea. It seems that men that had/have to wear suits in their work lives prefer a more casual approach while other men just enjoy dressing up -- it makes them feel better.

Not sure if you have sailed on Silversea but everyone on the ship has a butler - it is not a choice. On Regent, you get a butler in certain suite categories. The first time we had a butler, I was a bit intimidated but learned that they are interesting people with backgrounds that we like hearing about. Yes - they bring us room service items (instead of our Steward/Stewardess), and provide personal service. This isn't what I like about them -- they are simply lovely, educated human beings!

While I agreed with most of your post, I found the above judgmental and untrue. No one is pretending to be upper class or anything else. Some people (of all ages) enjoy dressing up when going to a fine dining restaurant - whether it be on land or at sea. It seems that men that had/have to wear suits in their work lives prefer a more casual approach while other men just enjoy dressing up -- it makes them feel better.

More than that (because a dress code isn't always "dressed up"), it is a way to maintain a particular type of atmosphere and minimum standard, and that's a good thing. Some people think that minimum standard must be "upper class", but in reality it's often just to prevent most of their clientele from being uncomfortable. So, a dress code might specify "no bathing suits" or "no slogan t-shirts" -- nothing about the exclusions say that people must dress up or pretend to be "upper class".

I don't understand why people who choose to dress up don't like to see people around them who aren't dressed up, but I do understand not wanting people in bikinis or board shorts, or people promoting their personal or political choices on their chests.

The cruise line that we sail, Regent, has an "Elegant Casual" dress code. This simply means that after 6:00 p.m., no shorts, t-shirts or jeans. Men wear collared shirts (which can include polo shirts) and slacks. Women wear slacks and tops, dresses, skirts, etc. This is a luxury cruise line that is not formal. However, in the specialty restaurants, the night of the Captain's Reception and other special nights, many passengers choose to dress up a bit (not required). My DH likes to wear a sports jacket on these nights and I tend to wear a fancy top.

On cruises over 15 nights, there is a "Formal Optional" night. No one is required to dress formally. I see men in tuxedos, suits, sports jackets, dress shirts with slacks or polo shirts with slacks. For whatever reason, I would guess that 80% of men wear slacks and a dress shirt, sports jacket or suit. This is their choice - no one is going to put them down.

During the day on Regent you can wear just about anything (no bathrobes and they ask that you wear a cover-up in restaurants if you are in a bathing suit).

Just posted this to clarify that sailing on a luxury cruise line does not necessarily mean that you dress formally.

those dress codes changed a lot since i started cruising in 1983 - i remember - it was on a 3 starred ship - it were 5 evenings formal and only the first and the last evening without a tie for men

on my very first cruise on the ms Vistafjord in 1990 i could not go into the restaurant for lunch wearing a bermuda

on the Silversea ships and on Cunard , they are rather strict on formal evenings , even with several people wearing medals on tuxedos ( guests )

ms Europa is also rather formal - and i think the others are very "elegant casual " with optional ties and tux.

on my last cruise on MSc Splendida there were people not respecting the dress code at all - in the Yacht Club lounge - wearing shorts and t shirts without sleeves after 6 pm

that was also not very pleasant for the other guests :o neither

So a thread entitled "Finding a Luxury Cruise Line That Fits" has once again devolved into a dress code thread. Doesn't anyone have anything else to talk about and is what other people wear the only criterion people have for what makes cruise line fit their needs? BORING!!!!!!!!!

So a thread entitled "Finding a Luxury Cruise Line That Fits" has once again devolved into a dress code thread. Doesn't anyone have anything else to talk about and is what other people wear the only criterion people have for what makes cruise line fit their needs? BORING!!!!!!!!!

Just couldn't let this sentence go without a response: "IMO Dress codes like Butlers, are a product of the desires of certain mostly older passengers to pretend they are upper class twits. It’s particularly ridiculous in the warmer climate cruises"

In my opinion, how one dresses is a bit more important to women than to men. The only way I can be certain that my DH dresses in clothing that I feel he looks great in is by me packing. I hang his clothes up in the closet on the ship and he can choose from there. Must not bother him too much as we are approaching our 39th anniversary:halo:

[Quote

In my opinion, how one dresses is a bit more important to women than to men. The only way I can be certain that my DH dresses in clothing that I feel he looks great in is by me packing. I hang his clothes up in the closet on the ship and he can choose from there. Must not bother him too much as we are approaching our 39th anniversary:halo:

Ditto: I do DH packing too and he likes it that way. In fact, I do all of the cruise planning and all he has to do is get on the plane, be served his choice of wine, and go to sleep. Voila! we are at our destination, just like magic ;-)

Just couldn't let this sentence go without a response: "IMO Dress codes like Butlers, are a product of the desires of certain mostly older passengers to pretend they are upper class twits. It’s particularly ridiculous in the warmer climate cruises"

Are you not in fact imposing a dress code on your husband?

Are you not in fact imposing a dress code on your husband?

Good point. However, my British DH knows how to dress but can be a bit old fashioned (he is older than I am) and I like to bring him up to date with newer ties, dress shirts that are made for him with initials on his cuff, etc. He is much more frugal than I am so I spend money are buying him things and it brings me pleasure. His complaints typically last about 30 seconds or so and then he is happy.

Very well said Henry.

All, one thing I have learned is generalities are not good to make. All men don't share the same opinions or have the same tastes nor do all women. In fact, the same applies to all passengers on a ship or all Americans, or all Canadians, etc.

This is what makes the world so interesting is that we all have different preferences.

Keith

Will try to address Viking vs. luxury cruise lines by typing in beneath your comments. First, I do want to say that Viking Ocean ships look beautiful. Viking Ocean was able to get some Regent officers to leave Regent and go to Viking. As least half of them have come back (not saying anything bad about working there - they just preferred Regent).

Just thought of one more thing....... the size of Viking Ocean ships. I will once again ignore Crystal and address the three other luxury cruise lines. The maximum number of passengers on a luxury cruise line is 750 (and that is only one ship - Regent's newest). Viking Ocean is huge compared to luxury cruise lines.

In any case, if you enjoy Viking Ocean, there is no reason to change unless you want to inclusivity, larger suites and a smaller ship.

The one important thing that distinguishes luxury ships from the premium lines, and which you didn’t mention, is the level of service.

There is a distinct difference between 4 star and 5 star service.

As you know, I like a good thread about dress codes, but I have to say that I agree that there’s a place for such discussions.

The point is that nobody should be put off a cruise because they might be required to dress up a bit.

As you know, I like a good thread about dress codes, but I have to say that I agree that there’s a place for such discussions.

The point is that nobody should be put off a cruise because they might be required to dress up a bit.

After two careers of about 28 years each with distinct dress codes, I have great distaste for anything above the level of a sport coat (no tie), and that provides the upper limit for 99.9% of my (our) choices for travel, etc.

I found the thread interesting as the discussion has provided insight into various cruising options above the mass market lines where most no longer appeal to me (us). We really don't care how others choose to dress and do not find that it affects our enjoyment or pleasure.

The one important thing that distinguishes luxury ships from the premium lines, and which you didn’t mention, is the level of service.

that is also very personal

i had a better service on 4 starred ships as on a said to be luxury ship ( and i am NOT facing Crystal at all !! )

After two careers of about 28 years each with distinct dress codes, I have great distaste for anything above the level of a sport coat (no tie), and that provides the upper limit for 99.9% of my (our) choices for travel, etc.

I found the thread interesting as the discussion has provided insight into various cruising options above the mass market lines where most no longer appeal to me (us). We really don't care how others choose to dress and do not find that it affects our enjoyment or pleasure.

i am in the same situation - i never opposed to wear a tie but since i am retired i very rarely do wear one but i am not a jeans and a T shirt man neither

last year i was approached by people ( comparing to their finiancial situation i am like a beggar) wanting a very luxurious cruise but : NO tux or ties !!!

i did recommend the Europa 2 .

Again, really good point. Since the only non-luxury cruise line we have been on is Oceania (except a 3 day Disney cruise 30 years ago), I can't make a good comparison. However, service on Oceania is different but is likely as good as on Regent or Silversea. Okay - here comes another general statement....... the difference is that the crew and officers on Oceania are not as friendly (particularly the officers) as on Regent or Silversea. I did speak with someone at Regent corporate about this (Oceania and Regent are owned by the same company - as is NCL). They agreed with me. The officers and crew on Regent in particular have an almost extended family feeling with guests. This adds to the culture being different on Oceania (a premium plus cruise line) and Regent.

Another thing to think about is that not all passengers want the same type of service. We enjoy the crew on most cruises more than the passengers (not saying that we don't like the passengers). Some of us are in contact during the year via email, Facebook, etc. We love hearing about how their families are doing - the long range plans they have for themselves, etc. Others on Regent have expressed that they just want good service - no interest in interacting with the crew. We also like less formality (i.e. crew members that we know not calling me Mrs. xxxxx but either Jackie or Ms. Jackie).

So, it does not seem that there is a one size fits all cruise line. Whatever cruise line that you are happy with is the one that you should sail on. We don't sail on Regent because it is a luxury cruise line - we sail on Regent because it is a good fit for us.

P.S. Keith, do you really think that the majority of men care more about how they dress than women? Darn - I thought that it was a safe generality:halo: