Sanctuary "Rules" ???

cruisinsoooon

We have returned from 20 days on the Royal Princess and overall, it was a great time. We used the Sanctuary six times this cruise, and had used it on several cruises prior to this one. It used to be a quiet, peaceful, and restful place where people spoke in very low voices so as not to disturb others. This time, there was a lot of loud talking and laughing which we found disturbing. It was especially bad in the center covered gazebo where people would congregate on the couches and chairs and have group conversations. We thought that was inappropriate, but then couldn't find any rules/guidelines for the Sanctuary. Has anyone experienced such behavior there, or have you seen any guidelines?

Was there anything posted at the entrance to the Sanctuary? Since people pay good money unless they are obnoxious or rude nothing is against the rules; but just what are the rules? I do not know that answer.

You are right - we pay good money for the Sanctuary. Nothing was posted at the entrance, which made me wonder if anyone has seen anything anywhere. I haven't completed my survey yet, and wanted to check on the experiences of others before I do. I believe my suggestion will be for them to clearly post the guidelines. We thought perhaps people would follow the lead of the crew members who work there.... they all speak in hushed voices when they communicate with you, so as not to disturb others.

There is nothing posted at the entrance any of the Sanctuary's that I have been in nor are you told anything when you reserve. We have been doing the week long pass for the Sanctuary for years and have never been told anything.

Princess themselves describes the Sanctuary as an adult only place where you have a an alternative to the myriad outdoor activities and entertainment available elsewhere throughout the ship.

Did you ask the stewards or the person in charge that is many times where you check in? Sorry it wasn't a relaxing place for you.

Being that there are TV's in the gazebos which make noise as well as the fact that you can hear MUTS and bands that play by the pool, it's never been super quiet where I always sit in the Regal Sanctuary which is the same as the Royal. I always sit in the area where you first walk in and has the sun.

In my experience, some people are quiet, some read & sleep, some talk, some laugh. Hate to say that I have done all of those in there. I have always seen people talking in that middle area mid day when people often eat lunch.

Again, sorry that you didn't find it a relaxing environment. Hope you were still able to enjoy your time there as it's one of my favorite places on the ship.

We have used the Sanctuary each cruise we’ve been on and have never noticed a problem. We did get a little loud once (just had some giggles once)and we were just politely asked to keep our voices down by staff, no one had complained tho. All in all I feel that those who use the Sanctuary know to be soft spoken and considerate as a general rule. I think if there’s a problem, best to bring it up to staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Being that there are TV's in the gazebos which make noise as well as the fact that you can hear MUTS and bands that play by the pool, it's never been super quiet where I always sit in the Regal Sanctuary which is the same as the Royal. I always sit in the area where you first walk in and has the sun.

There are no TV's in the gazebo on the Royal/Regal. The four cabanas have a TV but only for use we headphones.

There are no TV's in the gazebo on the Royal/Regal. The four cabanas have a TV but only for use we headphones.

You are correct. I meant to say the cabanas that you rent.

We had one family that had a lot of people and had the TV without headphones. There were more people in the cabana that there should have been on our 2016 Regal sailing. They were some executives or high rollers and their family and nothing was said to them.

Even if they posted guidelines to please keep noise to a minimum...it would do little good. Princess (and most other lines) make no attempt to enforce rules/guidelines...for fear of angering passengers. The best example are allowing folks to be chair hogs and save chairs by putting a few items on the lounger. Although there are guidelines (often published in the daily patter) we have never seen the deck staff make any attempt to enforce any kind of time limit. On our most recent Regal cruise we would watch one lady grab 10 loungers by 7:30 every morning. On most days those loungers were not used at all....and when they were used nobody showed-up until mid-afternoon. She even would do this when it was a port day....and then their group would go ashore for the day. When they returned late in the afternoon they still had their "saved" chairs.

There is little chance that any crew member is going to walk around the Sanctuary telling folks to "shhhhhh."

Hank

You are correct. I meant to say the cabanas that you rent.

We had one family that had a lot of people and had the TV without headphones. There were more people in the cabana that there should have been on our 2016 Regal sailing. They were some executives or high rollers and their family and nothing was said to them.

If anybody is interested, the rule for the cabanas is a max of 4 people and the other 2 people must have chairs booked in the Sanctuary.

Princess' own publicity uses the terms "serene" "our paradise" "peaceful" "an ocean of calm" to describe The Sanctuary.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/onboard-experience/wellness/ (scroll to 'The Sanctuary' to watch video if you wish)

I would insist those expectations be met or that I be given a refund should contrary behavior by others in my presence persist.

There is little chance that any crew member is going to walk around the Sanctuary telling folks to "shhhhhh."

When we were in the Sanctuary on Royal last year one attendant did exactly that. Anyone who spoke too loudly was shhhhh'd. It was very peaceful on that cruise.

Even if they posted guidelines to please keep noise to a minimum...it would do little good. Princess (and most other lines) make no attempt to enforce rules/guidelines...for fear of angering passengers. The best example are allowing folks to be chair hogs and save chairs by putting a few items on the lounger. Although there are guidelines (often published in the daily patter) we have never seen the deck staff make any attempt to enforce any kind of time limit. On our most recent Regal cruise we would watch one lady grab 10 loungers by 7:30 every morning. On most days those loungers were not used at all....and when they were used nobody showed-up until mid-afternoon. She even would do this when it was a port day....and then their group would go ashore for the day. When they returned late in the afternoon they still had their "saved" chairs.

Hank

I have no problem with removing junk from chairs when someone hasn't returned within 30 minutes. Especially after you have identified this group as frequent offenders, no worries. Move their stuff so that it is all piled on one chair or to a towel bin or other fixed structure. Worst case, they come back and challenge you, in which case you know nothing. If you are in a really nice mode, take their junk to the lost and found. Maybe after repeated trips to claim it, they and the staff will get the idea.

To OP, I wonder what the passenger services desk would do if you complained that the sanctuary was not peaceful or relaxing (as advertised) due to the behavior of other guests.

I admit I am offender. We were with a group of “gigglers”. We hadn’t seen each other in a while and were joking and laughing and being too loud. Someone complained and we were asked to be quiet or we would have to leave. And I agree with them! The sanctuary is a place for quiet relaxation. Yes, it’s okay for someone to have a loud outburst on a rare occasion but the understanding is that it’s qiuet. I’ve been in the sanctuary dozens of times and love the quiet serenity that it offers.

OP, I hate to be the voice of dissent....

And, to be fair, I don't know how loud or unruly these passengers might have been.

But, I have no problem with people enjoying themselves.

If I wanted to spend my vacation in a tomb, I might go visit a mausoleum.

I have read, here on CC, an incident where two women had met up and were having nice and fun conversation... Maybe a little 'animated'... And somebody must have complained. A steward actually came over and, basically, told them to 'shut up'.

WOW.....

That is just RUDE.....

Just because one has seats in the Sanctuary does not give them the right to control the entire space.

OP, I hate to be the voice of dissent....

And, to be fair, I don't know how loud or unruly these passengers might have been.

But, I have no problem with people enjoying themselves.

If I wanted to spend my vacation in a tomb, I might go visit a mausoleum.

I have read, here on CC, an incident where two women had met up and were having nice and fun conversation... Maybe a little 'animated'... And somebody must have complained. A steward actually came over and, basically, told them to 'shut up'.

WOW.....

That is just RUDE.....

Just because one has seats in the Sanctuary does not give them the right to control the entire space.

I doubt he "basically said to shut up". I love it when loud obnoxious people take offense.

WOW.....

That is just RUDE.....

There was a poster here who was miffed when several people came up to her and suggested

that she use headphones with the music she was playing.

Who would go to a place called 'the sanctuary' and play music which disturbs others to begin with?

Just time to face it on Princess - the me first / entitled passenger is the new norm...:(

No clue if this remark is regarding the persons accused of unacceptable Sanctuary behavior by the OP--or directed at the OP themselves.

We have returned from 20 days on the Royal Princess and overall, it was a great time. We used the Sanctuary six times this cruise, and had used it on several cruises prior to this one. It used to be a quiet, peaceful, and restful place where people spoke in very low voices so as not to disturb others. This time, there was a lot of loud talking and laughing which we found disturbing. It was especially bad in the center covered gazebo where people would congregate on the couches and chairs and have group conversations. We thought that was inappropriate, but then couldn't find any rules/guidelines for the Sanctuary. Has anyone experienced such behavior there, or have you seen any guidelines?

Wow, I feel your pain. Very interesting. I’ve used the Sanctuary several times and it’s usually calm and quiet.

So, did you complain to Sanctuary staff about those PAX who were taking too loud, laughing and disturbing you? Did you ask staff to speak to the offenders?

Or, did you go over yourself to the offending PAXs and tell those violators that their behavior was inappropriate and disturbing you?

Hope you enjoy your next cruise. :)

We are Sanctuary junkies. On several occasions, we have been completely alone or with just a few other couples (Baltic and South America cruise). Like having a suite for 1/10th the cost !

My practice is to immediately don my noise muffling headphones and plunge into a book, emerging only for lunch and afternoon tea. My outbursts of laughter at one of the funniest books I have ever read got me a look or two!

I think if there were sustained raucousness, I might quietly ask a steward or even send a note to the cruise director to empower the stewards to respectfully keep the peace. Or, if I were feeling brave, politely ask the raucous revelers to tone it down. But I appreciate people having a good time.

I think this a brand promise issue for Sanctuary which IS described in seductively quiet, restful terms. There are SO many other places on board to party-hardy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Princess does say"

A unique oasis of tranquility on Princess vessels, The Sanctuary offers guests the perfect place to take a break and indulge in a private getaway.

If anyone has a question what this means they can look up the definition of "Tranquility" which is synonymous with "quiet."

Hank