Are You Amped About Sky Princess 2019?

need2cruisesoon

It looks like they need more people complaining in order to do something about it.

Maybe only have smoking allowed after 6 PM so the pool can be enjoyed most of the day?:confused:

Unfortunately people only seemed to get riled up when talking about Crooners, small balconies and the like. Shame really as having whole areas ruined by the smell of smoke has much more of a negative impact for me at least. People will moan when it’s too late of course.

Unfortunately people only seemed to get riled up when talking about Crooners, small balconies and the like. Shame really as having whole areas ruined by the smell of smoke has much more of a negative impact for me at least. People will moan when it’s too late of course.

I really can't see what people love about Crooners?

It's a piano bar that can be refitted into any location on the ship.

I really can't see what people love about Crooners?

It's a piano bar that can be refitted into any location on the ship.

FWIW, my wife and prefer it over other bars in "...any location on the ship" specifically because of its location in the gorgeous Piazza. We find the other bars too claustrophobic and dark, and love the bright expansiveness of the central atrium, particularly on the Royal and Regal. Does that help you understand what some people love about Crooners?

FWIW, my wife and prefer it over other bars in "...any location on the ship" specifically because of its location in the gorgeous Piazza. We find the other bars too claustrophobic and dark, and love the bright expansiveness of the central atrium, particularly on the Royal and Regal. Does that help you understand what some people love about Crooners?

My family's absolute favorite three lounges on Princess ships are Crooners, The Explorer's Lounge and Sky Walkers. Unfortunately, they are becoming the Dodo Bird, White Rhino and Black-Footed Ferrets of lounges. On no planet is "Princess Live" a fair substitute for Explorers. I will reserve judgment on how the "Bar to be Themed Later" compares to Crooners. And Club 6 vs. Sky Walkers?? C'mon.

Getting rid of Crooners on the newer Royal-class was a huge mistake. If you’re going to get rid of something, get rid of Princess Live! and replace it with a real lounge. If you need yet another restaurant move The Shops of Princess and put one there, and locate the shops into the area occupied by the Art Gallery. That space is wasted anyways.

Wow.. Exactly what I was thinking to a tee ;);)

Well, it looks like they are planning on some kind of themed bar. Look at the bottom of this page. No info yet, but that page makes no mention of the French Bistro either.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/yp-sky-princess/

I previously noticed both of these & wondered why the new French Bistro (La Mer on the Majestic) wasn’t listed with specialty dining but is shown on the deck plan where Crooners is located on the Royal & Regal. Also the Club 6 area on Royal & Regal is only described as a Bar/Lounge & most likely to be the location of the new themed bar.

Clicking on the “New Themed Bar” Coming Soon shows a larger photo which I zoomed in to see better. If the image is accurate, in the upper right hand corner is a piano with a picture of Babe Ruth next to it. In the middle is a flapper on what appears to be a table surrounded by people. Both photos are from the 1920s so maybe the New Themed Bar could be the Roaring 20s? :confused:

Early descriptions & CG images for the Royal had dueling glass pianos in Crooners & two full size pools on Lido deck..neither happened. So initial depictions & descriptions are subject to change before launching a new ship.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Yes, I think that the Artist Renderings are not necessarily true, exactly, to the final form and decor.

Have seen this with prev. new-builds.

I have to hope and assume that this is the case with the image for the Sanctuary!!!!!

About the Retreat Pool...

I looked at the inaugural FLL sailing, and it shows some blank space, and does not show cabins available for booking, on each side in the front area of the Retreat pool, even with the bar. Some images show the lines, as if there are cabins there, but there is blank space instead of cabins available for booking. This would be cabins 210 - 215. Perhaps they are considering leaving this area, about three cabins wide on each side, open with the blue glass and some view out to the sea??? I have to say that this would be better than NO opening at all.

Also to note, there are two hot tubs, one on either side of the deck space above the overlooks down to the Retreat Pool,

On the current Royal Class ships,I did not like the way the pool was like enclosed by the cabanas, right up to the water, restricting general access...(nice if you have a cabana, though!) But I would actually love to have one of these cabanas reserved!!! If we manage to do this, along with or instead of the Sanctuary, on our upcoming cruise, I will miss cabanas if I ever sail in the Sky!!!

And, perhaps the nicer improved Terrace pool. (Adult only?) will help to ease the loss of nice space at the Retreat Pool.

Edited by Wishing on a star

And, perhaps the nicer improved Terrace pool. (Adult only?) will help to ease the loss of nice space at the Retreat Pool.

The aft pool is another example of deck plans & artist renderings not being the same.

On the Sky it’s named the Wakeview Pool & while the shape is similar in the deck plans & image the multi deck area for loungers in the newly released images is different than the deck plans. The recently released image posted by SBG in post #103 is different than the deck plans which show the Wakeview Pool aft of the buffet.

I don’t see any changes in the deck plans since they were released so maybe the new images are more accurate? :confused:

Edited by Astro Flyer

The aft pool is another example of deck plans & artist renderings not being the same.

On the Sky it’s named the Wakeview Pool & while the shape is similar in the deck plans & image the multi deck area for loungers in the newly released images is different than the deck plans. The recently released image posted by SBG in post #103 is different than the deck plans which show the Wakeview Pool aft of the buffet.

I don’t see any changes in the deck plans since they were released so maybe the new images are more accurate? :confused:

Here’s hoping. We’re still over a year away from her launch so I expect final designs for decor and non-fixed infrastructure could still change. I am excited to see V2 of the Royal Class.

I suppose so.

Guess I'm not the type of person to sit & listen to piano music for very long.

The problem with Crooners on the Royal class is that they must alternate sets with the music in the piazza. They are too close and the sounds and music can’t compete with each other . So the sets are shorter for each as they alternate back and forth. Personally my favorite place to sit and listen to music on Royal class is in Vines, it isn’t so loud since you are behind the stage and speakers, and you can carry on a conversation. And such good wines too!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

were you able to book that online, or did you have to go thru a TA or Princess?

Is there a minimum # of passengers to be able to book that SKY suite?

now looking at your post again - do you have one of the 2 ultra SKY suites, or just

'an ordinary suite'??;p

Hi voljeep

I have one of the two Sky Suites on the 18 th deck, the Sky deck. They are the ones with the 700 sq foot 270 degree wrap around balconies. Two bedrooms, two full bathrooms, dining room and living room for about another 900 sq ft.

I booked it on the website as I do all my Princess cruises- currently I have 6 booked through 2020 all in the largest full suites except for one. The Valentine’s Day cruise the suites were sold out so we only have a mini suite.

I booked the Sky suite for myself and my husband and for 2 TBA guests. Still trying to find another couple to join us. Princess said it would be no problem to reduce the booking to the two of us. They would remove the extra $999 pp and associated fees.

Are you going to be trying the Sky Suite as well?

The problem with Crooners on the Royal class is that they must alternate sets with the music in the piazza. They are too close and the sounds and music can’t compete with each other . So the sets are shorter for each as they alternate back and forth. Personally my favorite place to sit and listen to music on Royal class is in Vines, it isn’t so loud since you are behind the stage and speakers, and you can carry on a conversation. And such good wines too!

I’ve read posts from patrons of Crooners express the same opinions about the noise from the Piazza activities particularly on Royal-class ships.

Maybe that’s one reason why it appears the Club 6 area may become a Roaring 20’s type of piano bar.

Those suites do look sweet. However...I have to believe that 95% of the noise from the pool/MUTS area carries up to those suites, so it would be difficult to get any peace and quiet while outside on the balcony. The bandstand that they set up for afternoon music would most likely be directly below you on Sun Deck. (It is possible that it could be above the Seaview Bar on Sun Deck, but 1) not sure that is much better; and 2) that would put the band just below the MUTS screen. Seems more likely that live music would be opposite of MUTS.) And at night, there are parties to contend with, and MUTS typically runs until midnight or even a bit after. Those suites had better be well sound-proofed. Or you better be a hearty partier to book one.

The website provides the following as a "feature" of the suites: "Complementing the exquisitely appointed interior living spaces, a luxuriously furnished 700-square-foot balcony – the largest at sea – invites you to relax privately or host your own celebrations or catered events." If I were CEO for a day, I would repurpose these suites as Private Event Space that guests could book (in advance) by the day. I can easily see groups, families, wedding parties, CC Meet and Greets, and all sorts of others shelling out big bucks by the day to reserve these rooms for the day like a luxury box at a ball game. Guaranteed lounge chair access without chair hogs. Catered food. Private bar tender. Outdoor TV. Unobstructed MUTS viewing. Private bathroom(s). Air conditioned indoor space to cool off in. Can't you imagine 10-15 people banding together to pay $200-$250 per person for such a space for the day? The revenue generated by daily rentals times the number of days of the cruise is probably more than the revenue generated by selling them as cabins. In the example I just gave, 15 people pooling their money at $250 per day would be $3750 per day. That's over $26,000 for a 7 day cruise. I could be wrong, but I bet that is more than the space will generate as a cabin.

The sanctuary is $40 a day. And on the 10 princess cruises I’ve taken in the last 2 and a half years neither the Santuary nor the thermal spa were sold out. They were pretty empty.

$250 a day would get you a mini suite.

I’m not sure folks would pony up $250 for a day such as you’ve described on the sky deck.

I also share your concerns regarding potential non stop noise on the outside decks from MUTTS and any nearby bars. I’m also not certain the second bedroom can be changed from twins to a queen. I would like it if the bedrooms had actual doors instead of the usual curtains.

It will be a very expressive trial for us but, if they do this right I’ll probably never get the chance to book it again. The price will soar and only VIPs will get to book them. So here goes nothing! And let’s hope for the best!

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
Added information

nice price drop from one of the agencies that can't be mentioned here, but 'almost' back to launch prices...which we booked at...;p

and no, to the poster above - we're just going to be your special guests for MUTS !

nice price drop from one of the agencies that can't be mentioned here, but 'almost' back to launch prices...which we booked at...;p

and no, to the poster above - we're just going to be your special guests for MUTS !

Lol I know what you mean. It seems like we really should try to make friends with our roll call and invite them up. Are you on the Dec 14 2019 eastern Caribbean?

I suppose so.

Guess I'm not the type of person to sit & listen to piano music for very long.

Actually, neither are we. We just love Crooners because of its location and don't usually sit and listen to music. We certainly don't go there BECAUSE of the piano, that's for sure.