Are You Amped About Sky Princess 2019?

need2cruisesoon

I don't know if I missed it but no one seems to have mentioned if the retreat pool on the Sky will be enclosed as it is on the Majestic or open like on the Royal and Regal.

I really prefer Princess over Celebrity in general but love their indoor pool for inclement (or even extremely hot) days.

Would LOVE to see that on Princess! (And yes, I do remember that the Island, Coral and older Golden and Grand did have indoor pools.)

Karen,

It appears from a couple of different deck plans that the Retreat Pool will be surrounded by cabins but open to the sky deck. So not sure how that would effect the pool as far as wind. Sanctuary looks like it will be breezy up on the sky deck.

Marty

Now the ship I am really looking forward to and her itineraries starting in June2020 (bookings starting around 11/18/18) is the Enchanted Princess!

Pooh

The CC article about the Enchanted Princess states that the ship will have a glass floored Skywalk which does not show on the Sky’s deck plans. :confused:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8820

Friends who sailed the Majestic last year had no desire to dine at La Mer due to its noisy location with passengers walking by the open restaurant. The $35 menu was not desirable enough to overlook the lack of ambience due to its design.

Nothing has been announced for the currently labeled “Bar/Lounge” where Club 6 was previously located. On the Sky’s webpage for that “Coming Soon” location the artist rendering might offer a clue: 1920’s pictures on the wall (Babe Ruth; a flapper) and a piano in the bar/lounge. I’ve read several complaints from Crooners patrons about excessive noise from the Royal-class Piazza’s activities. If a Crooners-like piano bar is replacing Club 6 that could result in a better location. Just trying to anticipate the final results based on the limited clues we have from Princess.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/yp-sky-princess/

This was posted on my Sky’s roll call and again the Sky’s webpage describes having tables in PrincessLive so hopefully that results in a location that resembles Explorers more than a TV studio.

Originally posted by Micah's Grandad

Had interesting conversation with ED about Sky.

He did say that Princess Live will be replaced by something similar to Explorers Lounge which is good news to us.

Princess recently announced a new class of ships: two 175,000 tons ships that are scheduled for delivery in 2023 and 2025.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2359468

175,000 tons ! geezus it will take a week of exploration to see all the ship has to offer.

Now the ship I am really looking forward to and her itineraries starting in June2020 (bookings starting around 11/18/18) is the Enchanted Princess!

Pooh

And the ship’s information shows a Crooners but until deck plans are available won’t know whether it’s back to its original Piazza location or is elsewhere. Sometimes even the information Princess releases turns out to be wrong.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/ex-enchanted-princess/index.html

Also listed as a specialty dining option is The Salty Dog Gastropub.

Also listed as a specialty dining option is The Salty Dog Gastropub.

From what I can see, on both the Sky and the new Enchanted, there's no Salty Dog Gastropub, there's a Salty Dog Grill, which appears from the small images to be nothing more than a stand up counter like the pizzeria or grill on the upper decks on current ships. We actually love the sit-down Salty Dogs as they appear now (though we would probably like to see them in better locations than inside the Wheelhouse.

From what I can see, on both the Sky and the new Enchanted, there's no Salty Dog Gastropub, there's a Salty Dog Grill, which appears from the small images to be nothing more than a stand up counter like the pizzeria or grill on the upper decks on current ships. We actually love the sit-down Salty Dogs as they appear now (though we would probably like to see them in better locations than inside the Wheelhouse.

Look at the Enchanted’s webpage again & you’ll see The Salty Dog Gastropub listed as a specialty dining option but lacking deck plans don’t know where it’ll be located.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/ex-enchanted-princess/

The Sky never showed it but both ships will have the Salty Dog Grill menu replacing the Trident Grill’s menu and the Slice menu replacing the Prego pizza by the slice. I think both menus are an improvement & can pay $5 for the gourmet burger or $8 with a beer.

Here’s the description for the SD Gastropub from the Enchanted’s specialty dining options.

“A warm, inviting gastropub experience developed with Ernesto Uchimura, a founding chef of the original Umami Burger. Try one of our innovative gourmet creations inspired by pub favorites or devour the "Ernesto”, a savory rib eye burger named “Best Burger at Sea” by Cruise Critic. Offering a unique variety of beer, whiskey and cocktail selections, plus live music, there’s something for everyone at this hip, friendly twist on traditional pub fare”.

Look at the Enchanted’s webpage again & you’ll see The Salty Dog Gastropub listed as a specialty dining option but lacking deck plans don’t know where it’ll be located.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/ex-enchanted-princess/

The Sky never showed it but both ships will have the Salty Dog Grill menu replacing the Trident Grill’s menu and the Slice menu replacing the Prego pizza by the slice. I think both menus are an improvement & can pay $5 for the gourmet burger or $8 with a beer.

Here’s the description for the SD Gastropub from the Enchanted’s specialty dining options.

“A warm, inviting gastropub experience developed with Ernesto Uchimura, a founding chef of the original Umami Burger. Try one of our innovative gourmet creations inspired by pub favorites or devour the "Ernesto”, a savory rib eye burger named “Best Burger at Sea” by Cruise Critic. Offering a unique variety of beer, whiskey and cocktail selections, plus live music, there’s something for everyone at this hip, friendly twist on traditional pub fare”.

Thanks for the clarification. I had seen the new web page for the "Enchanted" when I wrote the above comment, but now that you point it out, they do mention the "Salty Dog Gastropub" in addition to Salty Dog Grill, and I had missed that. Good to know they'll probably have both.

Thanks for the clarification. I had seen the new web page for the "Enchanted" when I wrote the above comment, but now that you point it out, they do mention the "Salty Dog Gastropub" in addition to Salty Dog Grill, and I had missed that. Good to know they'll probably have both.

Happy to help & with new ships even the Princess information is subject to change. While still under construction the original deck plans & promotion for the Royal included Crooners dueling glass pianos, midship passenger stairways above deck 7 and two full size midship pools...none of these were on the completed ship.

On the Royal’s inaugural TA a lecture by an engineer who was part of the design team said that some things get cut because of cost overruns. One example he cited was not completing the midship stairs above deck 7 for routine passenger use. They were there but minus the finishing touches they were only available to passengers during the muster drill or in an emergency. They were eventually completed for passenger use during a drydock but that’s just a few examples of how things can change during construction & we won’t know the Sky’s or Enchanted’s exact layout until sometime in the future.

Happy to help & with new ships even the Princess information is subject to change. While still under construction the original deck plans & promotion for the Royal included Crooners dueling glass pianos, midship passenger stairways above deck 7 and two full size midship pools...none of these were on the completed ship.

On the Royal’s inaugural TA a lecture by an engineer who was part of the design team said that some things get cut because of cost overruns. One example he cited was not completing the midship stairs above deck 7 for routine passenger use. They were there but minus the finishing touches they were only available to passengers during the muster drill or in an emergency. They were eventually completed for passenger use during a drydock but that’s just a few examples of how things can change during construction & we won’t know the Sky’s or Enchanted’s exact layout until sometime in the future.

Darn would have loved dueling pianos

Darn would have loved dueling pianos

Experienced that on an RCI ship (although wooden pianos & not “glass”) and the place was always packed with passengers enjoying the “competition” who were purchasing many drinks...it was a fun experience. [emoji3]

I'm not very patient.....:D:D:D

Bob

Having seen the Gastropub in the Wheelhouse Bar, I am fully aware of it being there on the Crown, Emerald & Ruby and that the price has decreased to $12 from the original $19 fee.

The fee might have dropped but now you only get to pick 2 options from the menu instead of 3 when it was $19.

Since Crooner's is pretty popular and it is missing from the new Sky maybe we can get a manager/moderator to start up a poll to see how many folks would like to see Crooner's on the Sky vs. the French Bistro.

BRILLIANT !! :cocktail::whiskey-glass:

Experienced that on an RCI ship (although wooden pianos & not “glass”) and the place was always packed with passengers enjoying the “competition” who were purchasing many drinks...it was a fun experience. [emoji3]

We also enjoyed that on the NCL Getaway both times and it was always crowded.

Other entertainers would stop by late at night and join in, like the guys that do the Jersey Boys type show.

I was excited when they had announced it for the Royal. I do wish that they would have added so more entertainment for the Sky. I do have a sailing booked on her but was upset to see Crooners gone as that’s my favorite bar.

Hoping that the new mystery bar on the Sky ends up being something fun or unique.

Experienced it once years ago on either RCI or CCL (do not remember) and venue was packed with people spending hours there.

Wonder why it is usually only a land based venue.

DW and I have sailed on both the Royal and Regal several times and enjoyed them very much. I have to say I'm surprised at the omission of Crooners. It's our routine to have a martini every evening before dinner there. Not happy with that change. The Vista Lounge revamp looks really nice, so perhaps that, or the CG Bar will be our go to spot for a quiet drink before dinner. Also I'm wondering how we would access the Retreat pool from the Sun Deck, where we normally sit during sea days? Would you have to walk through a hallway of cabins to get to the pool? Doesn't seem to be any outdoor access to that pool.