Is it possible to arrange transporting a prohibited item?

K32682

How do you intend to transport the weapons to the ship and from the ship to your home - have you checked both British and Canadian laws on possession/transportation of the weapons?

The export and transport of the firearms within the UK will be done by a licensed dealer who will bring them to the point of departure. If the cruise is not an option he will bring them to Heathrow.

Shipping is surprisingly expensive and as the firearms are part of an estate there are documents in the UK that need to be signed. It is more convenient to go there, do the paperwork that needs to be done and bring the guns back with me. Once in Canada transportation is not a problem.

Without knowing the cruise line you are intending on using, I can't say for sure, but my feeling would be "no". Dive knives are a different case, in that the passenger intends on using the prohibited item at a port of call during the cruise. Typically, cruise lines are not in the business of transporting cargo for passengers. This would most likely require a separate ship's declaration, as this has considerable value (I'm assuming) and it is a firearm. This can also be impacted by any Canadian law regarding firearms on merchant vessels.

If it would be of help the item I am intending to transport is a matched pair of custom sporting shotguns. The early disembarkation directly into Canada is required to avoid the complication of a non-resident alien attempting to bring firearms into the U.S.A.

Reading between the lines of your previous posts, I kinda figured you were talking about firearms.

I'm reasonably certain no cruise line will transport firearms for you. I know very little about UK and Canadian law ref the import/export of firearms, so I can't even give you a logical recommendation. But like I said, I do feel pretty comfortable in saying the cruise option is out. Though you want to debark early, the ship is still intended for the US and US officials have no way of knowing you won't be on board. I guarantee CBP will not approve a foreign national traveling with a firearm intended for the US.

Good luck with your dilemma.

I have the correct license and import into Canada is not an issue. I will eventually contact the cruise line but thought I would start here to see if there others had similar experiences. The posts regarding the handling of knives is quite encouraging.

Given this assurance, there seems little reason for you not to go to DHL or some other forwarders in the UK and have those matched shotguns shipped to you- at your Canadian address, appropriately insured, of course.

That way, even if some unanticipated cancellation - say a threatening storm - forced the line to cancel their scheduled call in a Canadian port: which would leave you in the difficult position of trying to bring firearms into the US.

Reading between the lines of your previous posts, I kinda figured you were talking about firearms.

I'm reasonably certain no cruise line will transport firearms for you. I know very little about UK and Canadian law ref the import/export of firearms, so I can't even give you a logical recommendation. But like I said, I do feel pretty comfortable in saying the cruise option is out. Though you want to debark early, the ship is still intended for the US and US officials have no way of knowing you won't be on board. I guarantee CBP will not approve a foreign national traveling with a firearm intended for the US.

Good luck with your dilemma.

He is arranging with the cruise line to disembark early. The paperwork to CBP will show this.

And in any instance, the paperwork to CBP would not show the firearms. He would have to declrae them with customs where even he enters a county. US or Canada.

But it seems to me, to be much easier to fly back with them.

He is arranging with the cruise line to disembark early. The paperwork to CBP will show this.

That is not accurate. If he boards a ship bound for the US, CBP will receive a manifest with the OP's name, nationality and cabin number. The OP might intend to debark early, but CBP has no way of knowing if it'll actually happen. What if the ship has to skip the Canadian stop? What if the OP changes their mind? CBP will not be made aware of the early debarkation until it actually happens.

This is part of the reason a cruise line will not ship firearms. Too many things to go wrong.

iIf you have a frIend or relative who is a permanent resident and holds a firarms lice nse, why not bring him/her to UK wit h you and have them take possession , declare e the firearms when h e/she enters the country and clears CBP? The you apply for and get proper licensing.

Edited by sail7seas

I have the correct license and import into Canada is not an issue. I will eventually contact the cruise line but thought I would start here to see if there others had similar experiences. The posts regarding the handling of knives is quite encouraging.

As others have said. I suspect there is a line somewhere where they will say yes to some things and no to others. Dive knives or knives acquired in port as a common souvenir make a lot of sense for them to say yes to. In other cases I’ve seen people ask about purchasing their favorite alcohols prior to the cruise and checking them in upon embarkation and some are told no and the liquors are tossed. I suspect the cruise line frowns upon simply cargo storing things that have no use on the cruise. Firearms transportation between countries most likely carries legal complications. I would suspect they will say no but calling them is of course the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The export and transport of the firearms within the UK will be done by a licensed dealer who will bring them to the point of departure. If the cruise is not an option he will bring them to Heathrow.

Shipping is surprisingly expensive and as the firearms are part of an estate there are documents in the UK that need to be signed. It is more convenient to go there, do the paperwork that needs to be done and bring the guns back with me. Once in Canada transportation is not a problem.

I can see why you were asking about the cruise option now; if you're already over there and can bring them back with you it's no doubt cheaper than having them couriered and reduces the risk of the package going missing/getting damaged in transit. We brought over our wedding china and a few other meaningful/important items in person rather than entrusting them to a shipping service. Although a well-made gun should be pretty robust!

Since the cruise is officially going to the USA though, I do think that the points raised above are valid - even with prior approval to disembark in Canada, should something go wrong and your Canadian port be missed you won't have the right paperwork despite your having looked into it. No harm in asking the line - but I'd definitely be requesting to speak to a supervisor and get the answer confirmed in writing if it's positive!

I guarantee CBP will not approve a foreign national traveling with a firearm intended for the US.

They will approve it. I've done it previously on land/air crossings. What is required is a form 6NIA from the ATF. The appeal of disembarking at a Canadian port beforehand is avoiding the U.S. paperwork.

Given this assurance, there seems little reason for you not to go to DHL or some other forwarders in the UK and have those matched shotguns shipped to you- at your Canadian address, appropriately insured, of course.

There are very good reasons not to use DHL not the least of which is they like most other courier companies do not ship firearms internationally. There are shippers who will do it but the price is prohibitive. Furthermore, they will not ship to my address, a visit to a customs depot is required to accept delivery.

But it seems to me, to be much easier to fly back with them.

It is definitely appearing that way.

That is not accurate. If he boards a ship bound for the US, CBP will receive a manifest with the OP's name, nationality and cabin number. The OP might intend to debark early, but CBP has no way of knowing if it'll actually happen. What if the ship has to skip the Canadian stop? What if the OP changes their mind? CBP will not be made aware of the early debarkation until it actually happens.

This is part of the reason a cruise line will not ship firearms. Too many things to go wrong.

Does CBP get a manifest before the ship sails from Europe?????

Or do they get it closer to docking?

What about a med evac?

And would the manifest sent to CBP have any mention of a firearm in transit? That is up to the PASSENGER to declare, not the cruise line.

They will approve it. I've done it previously on land/air crossings. What is required is a form 6NIA from the ATF. The appeal of disembarking at a Canadian port beforehand is avoiding the U.S. paperwork.

I meant via cruise ship.

Edited by Aquahound

OP, when I first read your post a couple days ago, I thought, "Is this guy asking for help to smuggle contraband?"

Subsequently, I learned the details of your question, and now I'm really curious about the outcome. After you and your shotguns get to Canada, I truly hope you come back here and tell us how it worked out.

I have no useful first hand knowledge about either the shotguns or the legal limitations and restrictions regarding their characteristics but have you considered having alterations made to the shotguns that would render them unusable as firearms and thus making them just harmless objects and no longer firearms?

This suggestion presupposes that you would be willing to make those alterations to family heirlooms.

I cannot help wondering if there is a yet-undisclosed element involved. While there may be a high charge for shipping the guns, it seems unlikely that it would exceed the greater cost of a traveling by ship over a flight. Everything seems to be in order about bringing them into Canada, but there remains the unaddressed risk of the Canadian port call being cancelled.

Could be there some inheritance or estate tax question?

I have no useful first hand knowledge about either the shotguns or the legal limitations and restrictions regarding their characteristics but have you considered having alterations made to the shotguns that would render them unusable as firearms and thus making them just harmless objects and no longer firearms?

This suggestion presupposes that you would be willing to make those alterations to family heirlooms.

The guns will be used in Canada. Deactivating them and destroying their value is not a consideration. In any event the list of prohibited items for the cruise companies that I've looked at included "firearms and replicas" which would include deactivated firearms.

I cannot help wondering if there is a yet-undisclosed element involved. While there may be a high charge for shipping the guns, it seems unlikely that it would exceed the greater cost of a traveling by ship over a flight. Everything seems to be in order about bringing them into Canada, but there remains the unaddressed risk of the Canadian port call being cancelled.

Could be there some inheritance or estate tax question?

There is no "undisclosed element." The tax implications are the same whether flown or brought over on a ship.

Edited by K32682

I don’t doubt that shipping guns internationally is prohibitively expensive. Is canceling the cruise and flying home instead an option? If it is, then hopefully you will consult the cruise line ASAP instead of relying on the guesses here so you can make real plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am curious - while there is only a very slight likelihood of the Canadian port call being cancelled, that risk does remain; given that uncertainty, it is hard to understand not having the pieces shipped. Have you compared shipping costs vs. the cost of ship crossing above that of flying back to Canada?

I've been reading this thread with interest as I too am curious if this is at all possible. Though I do wonder if you should consider a passager freighter voyage/cruise instead of a tourist cruise:confused:? Being a freighter they are highly unlikely to skip a port plus being freighters they might be better equipped and more amenable to shipping personal belongings.

Edited by ilikeanswers

I've been reading this thread with interest as I too am curious if this is at all possible. Though I do wonder if you should consider a passager freighter voyage/cruise instead of a tourist cruise:confused:? Being a freighter they are highly unlikely to skip a port plus being freighters they might be better equipped and more amenable to shipping personal belongings.

I'm too lazy to look at all the past posts and other threads. Did the OP ever mention the cruise line in question? If he's planning to sail on the QM2, then there's no problem with storing personal belongings, from what I remember.

Here is the information on importing firearms to Canada: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/import-importer-eng.htm

It says: "

• Firearms that are shipped to an individual in Canada must be handled by a carrier company licensed under the Firearms Act to transport firearms." Lots of airlines and shipping companies are listed as having this license but I'm not seeing any cruise lines on the list at all.

The other issue is that most ports do not allow you to carry firearms on the property of the port.

I am curious - while there is only a very slight likelihood of the Canadian port call being cancelled, that risk does remain; given that uncertainty, it is hard to understand not having the pieces shipped. Have you compared shipping costs vs. the cost of ship crossing above that of flying back to Canada?

What I'm trying to determine is what is possible. What I'm considering if possible is taking a cruise which would also achieve a couple of personal travel goals. If I'm going to be there anyway it's worth examining the possibilities. If impractical then flying home is the next option.

Here is the information on importing firearms to Canada: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/import-importer-eng.htm

• Firearms that are shipped to an individual in Canada must be handled by a carrier company licensed under the Firearms Act to transport firearms." Lots of airlines and shipping companies are listed as having this license but I'm not seeing any cruise lines on the list at all.

The other issue is that most ports do not allow you to carry firearms on the property of the port.

The law makes a distinction between third-party shipping and an individual importing a firearm. I have imported individually before.

I will check with the port in question however a firearms prohibition is not universal at Canadian ports. Billy Bishop Airport in Toronto is operated by the Ports Authority and there is no problem flying with a firearm on Porter.

I was wondering about your last sentence... Gun laws are so strict in the UK, that I cannot think the port of Southampton would allow these to be carried through; also- to whom are the guns licenced right now? Because you will have to get them to the port first, and unless you have the proper licence, you cannot carry a gun in a car- or anywhere.