The Many Choices of Edge Dining Venues: How Do We Choose?

vtcruising

I also emailed Ivana, she was very helpful in accommodating one of my requests (or more like very hopeful asking:) ) however she replied the following in regards of the specialty dining

Unfortunately with packages we can’t make any changes or make any reservations pre-cruise.

As it states in our Package Policy You can select the time for the first night and later on You’ll be accommodated based upon availability.

I am sure our hostesses and staff on Edge will be very attentive and will make Your cruise memorable!

Hope this helps ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow...what was she able to do for you, as you did not say that? I booked the Reflection, 3 dinners and restaurants, along with times for two; I also booked for 6 of us on Edge for three different restaurants, so I do not understand why she would do it for me and not for you...did someone on Celebrity see the post and stop it...please clarify, as I just want to understand. I do not know why Ivana would say this to you; how many people were in your booking and did they all pay?

This has taught me once again to be very skeptical of Celebrity and it goes back to communication. I want to know why I could book and you could not. I also want to know why Ivana told me that you did not have to be in a suite to book specialty dining ahead through her...

I am not going to say anything more about this if I am going to be seen as not telling the truth. I do not appreciate that she made me out to be a liar and is now quoting the policy...

I am truly sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lastdance

ugh, with all these new choices and entirely different menus this is making restaurant decisions very difficult. this is also our first time in a suite, so we haven't had a chance to experience luminae before this cruise. I suspect we will spend most nights there, but I would like to try 2-3 other restaurants for dinner, depending on how others report back in the first few sailings. in addition, there is at least one or 2 restaurants I would like to book ahead of time. from what I understand, if you book a package you're able to choose your first night, and then based on availability the others can be booked on board. I thought that was the policy for all passengers? I understand the concern for many that certain restaurants will fill up, but it seems some were able to book their additional restaurants through Ivana? or, if you're in a suite she'd do it for you? this thread became a little hard to follow, so maybe someone could help clear up what the discrepancy is?

CruisingTheWa...

We do not have all the facts and are waiting fore more. Also, Celebrity is known for a lack of consistent information.

I was able to book my specialty dinners for six of us with our dates and times, along with being told that you did not need to be in a suite, even though I am in one. However, Kiwi was able to book something, but she did not explain it fully, so I am hoping she returns to this thread, as I do not understand all of her comments fully.

Edited by Lastdance

Wow...what was she able to do for you, as you did not say that? I booked the Reflection, 3 dinners and restaurants, along with times for two; I also booked for 6 of us on Edge for three different restaurants, so I do not understand why she would do it for me and not for you...did someone on Celebrity see the post and stop it...please clarify, as I just want to understand. I do not know why Ivana would say this to you; how many people were in your booking and did they all pay?

This has taught me once again to be very skeptical of Celebrity and it goes back to communication. I want to know why I could book and you could not. I also want to know why Ivana told me that you did not have to be in a suite to book specialty dining ahead through her...

I am not going to say anything more about this if I am going to be seen as not telling the truth. I do not appreciate that she made me out to be a liar and is now quoting the policy...

I am truly sorry!

Lastdance, there is absolutely no reason to be sorry!!! I am extremely grateful to you for Ivana’s contact! If it was not for you I would not have had it, and probably did not know/think about trying to approach someone.

I emailed Ivana asking about specialty restaurants package and expressed my disappointment that despite booking early - thinks it was 2 or 3 day after the bookings opened, we did not get Select but a late set time (think it was a bit of a hick up) and said we would like to have some certainty about dinners and hence asked about the package ( at this point I neither bought a package for either of ours B2B nor gave Ivana my reservation numbers). She went ahead, found our reservations and changed to Select. I am very, very happy about it! I don’t mind paying a full price for a few specialty dinners, in fact we’ve already bought and booked 3 between two sailings. In my view this was an excellent service and the proactive attitude!

Now, we are booked in an IV, not a suite and we are not a high level in the CC as we are relatively new to cruising. I think one’s “status” with Celebrity May bring the ability to prebook (imho)

Lastdance, there is absolutely no reason to be sorry!!! I am extremely grateful to you for Ivana’s contact! If it was not for you I would not have had it, and probably did not know/think about trying to approach someone.

I emailed Ivana asking about specialty restaurants package and expressed my disappointment that despite booking early - thinks it was 2 or 3 day after the bookings opened, we did not get Select but a late set time (think it was a bit of a hick up) and said we would like to have some certainty about dinners and hence asked about the package ( at this point I neither bought a package for either of ours B2B nor gave Ivana my reservation numbers). She went ahead, found our reservations and changed to Select. I am very, very happy about it! I don’t mind paying a full price for a few specialty dinners, in fact we’ve already bought and booked 3 between two sailings. In my view this was an excellent service and the proactive attitude!

Now, we are booked in an IV, not a suite and we are not a high level in the CC as we are relatively new to cruising. I think one’s “status” with Celebrity May bring the ability to prebook (imho)

Thank you so much for clarifying much of this and I am so glad you feel pleased.

All my booked dinners were for packages of three for specialty restaurants...it was nice that she could move you to select for your dining room...

CruisingTheWa...

Kiwi was able to book something, but she did not explain it fully, so I am hoping she returns to this thread, as I do not understand all of her comments fully.

Sorry, as this was a bit long to explain, I got lazy ;) more like was rushed - it’s funny how our jobs interfere with cruising! And yet they pay for it ;)

Sorry, as this was a bit long to explain, I got lazy ;) more like was rushed - it’s funny how our jobs interfere with cruising! And yet they pay for it ;)

So true about the jobs! Thanks for taking the time to explain it all.

Stuart, I am in NZ and it takes me to the links, not to NZ/AU site. If you google celebrity you will see an option for .com site

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry, but it still takes me to the Uk site. However, I have now be given access to my cruise planner - for July 2019! And it is on the .com site! But try any other link and it is back to .co.uk! Really annoying.

The good news is that through my cruise planner I now have access to details of all the dining venues and to sample menus!

Not sure how this board works but I have, hopefully, attached one sample menu this post.

If it works I will add others later.

Tuscan-Restaurant-Menu.pdf

Sorry, but it still takes me to the Uk site. However, I have now be given access to my cruise planner - for July 2019! And it is on the .com site! But try any other link and it is back to .co.uk! Really annoying.

The good news is that through my cruise planner I now have access to details of all the dining venues and to sample menus!

Not sure how this board works but I have, hopefully, attached one sample menu this post.

If it works I will add others later.

That seems to have worked so attached find all the Menu PDFs I have.

Except for two which are massively bigger than the others. No idea why but will look into it.

Fingers crossed that this works.

cosmopolitan-menu.pdf

eden menu.pdf

le grand bistro menu.pdf

normandie menu.pdf

raw on five menu.pdf

rooftop garden grill menu.pdf

tuscan menu.pdf

ugh, with all these new choices and entirely different menus this is making restaurant decisions very difficult. this is also our first time in a suite, so we haven't had a chance to experience luminae before this cruise. I suspect we will spend most nights there, but I would like to try 2-3 other restaurants for dinner, depending on how others report back in the first few sailings. in addition, there is at least one or 2 restaurants I would like to book ahead of time. from what I understand, if you book a package you're able to choose your first night, and then based on availability the others can be booked on board. I thought that was the policy for all passengers? I understand the concern for many that certain restaurants will fill up, but it seems some were able to book their additional restaurants through Ivana? or, if you're in a suite she'd do it for you? this thread became a little hard to follow, so maybe someone could help clear up what the discrepancy is?

I would sit tight. Luminae will blow your socks off, and you will hate to miss each new menu there. Plus if any of the special dishes at the 4 MDRs appeals to you, you can get them (or any MDR dish) in Luminae just by asking. They also try to accommodate any special requests, so you could try to get the most enticing dish from a specialty restaurant (more likely with 24 hours notice). Luminae is your new home – relax and enjoy it!

I would sit tight. Luminae will blow your socks off, and you will hate to miss each new menu there. Plus if any of the special dishes at the 4 MDRs appeals to you, you can get them (or any MDR dish) in Luminae just by asking. They also try to accommodate any special requests, so you could try to get the most enticing dish from a specialty restaurant (more likely with 24 hours notice). Luminae is your new home – relax and enjoy it!

I might be mistaken but thought that 25% which are special dishes in each of the four restaurants can only be offered in these restaurants? I am aware that you can usually order MDR in Luminae and Blu, but does the same apply to this new 4-MDRs concept?

If you have Luminae and haven't dined there before, I think you are smart to enjoy Luminae most of the time. That will be a wonderful experience.

If you buy a dining package, the usual way it works is that you can request a time (not place) for your first dining experience online when you purchase the package. They say they will make your first reservation for either day 1 or 2 and they will choose the restaurant. When you board, you can change that reservation and make the other reservations (it is the first thing I do when I board so that I have a better chance to get the times/places we want). You get a good deal on the package, but don't get to pre-book. Lastdance reported Ivana pre-scheduling dining with packages, but maybe she was being helpful because of the group of 6?

If it were me, and I had never dined in Luminae, I would dine there 4-5 nights and choose the specialties I wanted to visit the most and just book them now for the times I wanted without a package (especially if I had a special occasion to book for). We are in a suite, but since we have run through the Luminae menu a few times, I really want to try some of the new venues. We will go to Luminae the first night and likely others and have booked specialties for 3 nights.

I think we will just have to do more than one cruise on the Edge to experience all of the dining venues. :D

I would not expect to be able to obtain MDR dishes in Luminae on Edge-Class ships - especially non always available type dishes as the kitchens are very, very far away from one another (whereas on M-Class and S-Class ships Luminae and the MDR essentially share a kitchen). Likewise specialty restaurant dishes should not be expected in Luminae; yest there have been isolated reports of such requests being accommodated (usually to those in Royal and Penthouse suites), it is really something above-and-beyond rather than policy. I do agree that if one has not experienced Luminae before, might be wise to save some $$$ and stick mainly with Luminae rather than trying a lot of the specialty venues and missing out on some Luminae meals. On other ships Luminae is as good (if not better) than the specialty restaurants IMHO.

If you buy a dining package, the usual way it works is that you can request a time (not place) for your first dining experience online when you purchase the package. They say they will make your first reservation for either day 1 or 2 and they will choose the restaurant. When you board, you can change that reservation and make the other reservations (it is the first thing I do when I board so that I have a better chance to get the times/places we want). You get a good deal on the package, but don't get to pre-book. Lastdance reported Ivana pre-scheduling dining with packages, but maybe she was being helpful because of the group of 6?

That is my understanding as well. I think Ivana either was doing a special favor for LastDance (and wasn't expecting it to be posted on Cruise Critic - resulting in lots of e-mail requesting something over-and-beyond company policy) or she was new to the position, mistakenly allowed LastDance's reservations to be made in advance - and then was told by her supervisor that is not how the packages work (and therefore quoted the correct policy when others e-mailed her this request).

That is my understanding as well. I think Ivana either was doing a special favor for LastDance (and wasn't expecting it to be posted on Cruise Critic - resulting in lots of e-mail requesting something over-and-beyond company policy) or she was new to the position, mistakenly allowed LastDance's reservations to be made in advance - and then was told by her supervisor that is not how the packages work (and therefore quoted the correct policy when others e-mailed her this request).

Ivana is relatively new to Celebrity - based on her LunkedIn profile . The same thought did cross my mind as well

Seems like a no brainer to choose the 4 night specialty package @ 125 versus the 3 night @ 109. The cruise planner enabled me to choose night #1, but the only times offered were 600, 630, 800 or 830. The major problem was that there was nowhere to pick which specialty venue we wanted. Would have liked to have gone to Eden one night, but my better half is not adventurous, so I'll have to suffer through 4 nights at Fine Cut. Just want to get that first night locked in and then I'll take care of the other three once we get on board.

Seems like a no brainer to choose the 4 night specialty package @ 125 versus the 3 night @ 109. The cruise planner enabled me to choose night #1, but the only times offered were 600, 630, 800 or 830. The major problem was that there was nowhere to pick which specialty venue we wanted. Would have liked to have gone to Eden one night, but my better half is not adventurous, so I'll have to suffer through 4 nights at Fine Cut. Just want to get that first night locked in and then I'll take care of the other three once we get on board.

Well with a 7 night cruise and 4 night specialty you will have no chance to try four MDRs

Well with a 7 night cruise and 4 night specialty you will have no chance to try four MDRs

The "venue choices" at Cyprus did not appeal to us at all, and the Cosmopolitan choices were just ok. The Normandie and Tuscan looked appealing so that is where we would enjoy our MDR meals.

Yes, the dining packages are great deals, but the downside of the buying the dining package is that the only thing you can choose is the time of the first dinner, not the place and then hope you can get the first one changed as needed and the other dates, times, venues that you want secured when onboard.

They do save times for people onboard (they don't sell out online) and booking ASAP when you board will hopefully get you what you want. :)

Ivana is relatively new to Celebrity - based on her LunkedIn profile . The same thought did cross my mind as well

I did the same exact thing last year for Reflection for six of us; I could not book it under my name, but had to book it under the leader’s name and she was not in a suite. Maybe it has to do with booking six. That is how I originally found out about these contacts...I know my friends are very pleased; wish I could do the same for you!

I did the same exact thing last year for Reflection for six of us; I could not book it under my name, but had to book it under the leader’s name and she was not in a suite. Maybe it has to do with booking six. That is how I originally found out about these contacts...I know my friends are very pleased; wish I could do the same for you!

As has been stated, Celebrity's policy is that when booking a specialty dining package, one cannot make reservations for specific venues/days/times until on board the ship. What you have experienced is exceptions to the policy (either by the person you dealt with being ignorant of the policy at the time or choosing to make an exception to the policy).

You did help me though ;)

The "venue choices" at Cyprus did not appeal to us at all, and the Cosmopolitan choices were just ok. The Normandie and Tuscan looked appealing so that is where we would enjoy our MDR meals.

Think you meant menu choice at Cyprus? [emoji23] well, MDR meals are the same across all four so I guess there is always something for everyone across all restaurants. My DH and I have decided we will try as many as we can across both complimentary and cover charge restaurants

Thanks for posting the menu links...easy to read the menus.

After going over the menus again, we are satisfied with our choice of AQ with BLU, plus the Steakhouse and Outdoor Grill. Simple, pre- booked and only 2 of us...not complicated, we hope.

It is tough organizing for group dining, further complicated by the dining package rules. Hope it all works out.

Some may love it but Eden did not appeal in any way to us. Wonder if it will evolve over time,,,

Think you meant menu choice at Cyprus? [emoji23] well, MDR meals are the same across all four so I guess there is always something for everyone across all restaurants. My DH and I have decided we will try as many as we can across both complimentary and cover charge restaurants

My DH and I have made the same decision. We’d like to try each MDR at least twice, as well as the other venues that intrigue us. Even though we’ll have 15 days, it may be a challenge lol;p.