Super Bowl LIV 2020 MIA and FLL Cruise Departures

Tommy3putts

So after a 10 year hiatus the Super Bowl is set to return to Miami on February 2, 2020. Yes I know, its two years away, but we are talking about a massive cultural event that will be attracting hundreds of thousands of additional tourists. The last time a Super Bowl was in Miami, we weren’t doing winter cruises, but fast-forward to now and we like to try to take a week away from the mid-Atlantic winters and take a cruise out of Florida. We particularly like getting away on a cruise ship to watch the Super Bowl.

The itineraries for winter 2020 cruises are coming out and it looks like there are going to be the usual suspects leaving FLL and MIA during the Super Bowl weekend. By the time you figure in flights, hotel rooms and port transportation, one would have to be nuts to schedule a cruise out of southern Florida during Super Bowl LIV weekend. Wouldn’t they?

I’m guessing we’ll avoid a Florida cruise all together that particular weekend. Maybe Galveston, Mexican Riviera or just a cruise later in February. But since it’s two years away, I’d appreciate hearing what opinions might be out there for trying to take a Florida cruise in early February 2020.

Cheers

Tom

There will be tons of Superbowl festivities going on and it should make for a fun time.

As long as you resign yourself to the fact that you will be paying $400 per night for a moderate hotel.

Or sail out of Port Canaveral or Tampa.

There will be tons of Superbowl festivities going on and it should make for a fun time.

As long as you resign yourself to the fact that you will be paying $400 per night for a moderate hotel.

Or sail out of Port Canaveral or Tampa.

I think $400 per night would be a steal during the Super Bowl. The S. Beach hotel we stayed at this last Feb was $500 per night, thankfully we were able to stay there on points.

Would love to do possibly do a B2B or some sort of other consecutive cruise if I could get off work for two-three weeks. Also looking at PC and Tampa as well as Galveston and NO.

It’s going to be interesting to watch as folks struggle to get to cruise ships in MIA or FLL. I wonder if the cruise lines will sail full given the logistical nightmare of that weekend.

I think $400 per night would be a steal during the Super Bowl. The S. Beach hotel we stayed at this last Feb was $500 per night, thankfully we were able to stay there on points.

South Beach is a whole other animal and it isn't even in Miami.

The Hard Rock Stadium is actually right between Miami and Fort Lauderdale so there is no reason to stay in South Beach where rooms will be closer to $800 per night entry level. During things like the SBW&FF hotel rooms there are already $800 per night.

There are lots of other cities where you will be able to get a $400 a night hotel room. A few moderate places downtown but generally speaking, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Doral, Pembroke Pines, Plantation, Sawgrass, or the FLL beaches.

The Orange Bowl is held at the Hard Rock (Joe Robbie/Pro Player/Sun Life/etc) but the headquarters and all the festivities are downtown Fort Lauderdale.

HA! I am one of the crazies already booked for 2/1/20 on NCL Escape of Miami! I just booked but I found others that were already booked as well!! That is how I found out about it being the Superbowl and in Miami! Ugh!! I will be booking a hotel room as soon as they open up and just hope for the best! It will be nuts and crazy but it is vacation and I will enjoy!! And if the ship doesnt sell then hopefully I will get some good price reductions!! LOL!!

South Beach is a whole other animal and it isn't even in Miami.

The Orange Bowl is held at the Hard Rock (Joe Robbie/Pro Player/Sun Life/etc) but the headquarters and all the festivities are downtown Fort Lauderdale.

Great point. It will likely also depend where the actual NFL “experience” exhibitions (Super Bowl festivities other than the game) are held. FLL or Miami or closer to the Stadium.

HA! I am one of the crazies already booked for 2/1/20 on NCL Escape of Miami! I just booked but I found others that were already booked as well!! That is how I found out about it being the Superbowl and in Miami! Ugh!! I will be booking a hotel room as soon as they open up and just hope for the best! It will be nuts and crazy but it is vacation and I will enjoy!! And if the ship doesnt sell then hopefully I will get some good price reductions!! LOL!!

It’s funny I almost committed to booking a cruise that weekend. I “had” my eye on your NCL cruise as well as the Celebrity Edge cruise out of FLL. But then I remembered that the Super Bowl was due back in Miami. Sure enough 2020.

I guess for the right price I could “suck it up” and do a cruise out of MIA or FLL. But the thought of battling the masses that weekend to catch a cruise is intimidating. I guess its a good problem to have.

Cheers

Tom

Great point. It will likely also depend where the actual NFL “experience” exhibitions (Super Bowl festivities other than the game) are held. FLL or Miami or closer to the Stadium.

A good portion of the festivities are going to be held in downtown Miami all along Bayfront.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article197900654.html

The Super Bowl is a weeklong-plus affair. The teams, league officials, fans who actually have tickets, plus all the pseudo-entourage-ers and wannabe sycophants will start heading down as soon as the teams are determined. My guess is that it will be less of a problem embarking a cruise on the actual Super Bowl weekend of February 1-2 than the weekend before. Definitely easier to get a flight between January 30 and February 1 than the previous five to ten days. While downtown Miami and SE 17 St Ft Lauderdale hotels may be marked up and/or have minimum stays there are plenty of others near the respective airports. The one biggie: rental cars. Expect surge demand pricing from as soon as the teams are known until a couple days after the game--and no guarantee they will honor rates quoted if reserved but not paid in advance.

So go ahead and book without hesitation. Or if you are the gambler sit back and wait for the last minute sales should you believe that the Super Bowl hype will scare the cruise tourists away. Will the discount on the cruise fare be enough to offset the last minute air fares? Who can tell.

It’s funny I almost committed to booking a cruise that weekend. I “had” my eye on your NCL cruise as well as the Celebrity Edge cruise out of FLL. But then I remembered that the Super Bowl was due back in Miami. Sure enough 2020.

I guess for the right price I could “suck it up” and do a cruise out of MIA or FLL. But the thought of battling the masses that weekend to catch a cruise is intimidating. I guess its a good problem to have.

Cheers

Tom

I booked during NCL's buck deposit sale plus 3rd and 4th passengers were free so.....this is the week we want to sale for my husband's 50th bday too so we will take our chances. We normally stay downtown Miami but will rethink that.

It’s going to be interesting to watch as folks struggle to get to cruise ships in MIA or FLL. I wonder if the cruise lines will sail full given the logistical nightmare of that weekend.

Might be a prime time for Florida residents and those within driving distance of Port Everglades and Port Miami to pick up a 'cheap' cruise.

= The one biggie: rental cars. Expect surge demand pricing from as soon as the teams are known until a couple days after the game--and no guarantee they will honor rates quoted if reserved but not paid in advance.

That's a GREAT point fishywood!

Might be a prime time for Florida residents and those within driving distance of Port Everglades and Port Miami to pick up a 'cheap' cruise.

Fantastic idea if we weren't going to the superbowl!

Would Orlando hotels and rental cars cost more during this time? If I were cruising, I might try and fly to Orlando, then drive down to FLL the morning of the cruise. It isn't a hard drive, but we would have to get up sort of early!

Any of you locals have any insight on this as a plan?

Would Orlando hotels and rental cars cost more during this time? If I were cruising, I might try and fly to Orlando, then drive down to FLL the morning of the cruise. It isn't a hard drive, but we would have to get up sort of early!

I like this option, especially if there are deals to be had on the Miami or FLL sailings that week. I always want to fly in for a cruise no less than one day before. No way would I fly direct into Miami or FLL on the day of a cruise on that weekend.

Using this an example to present to my wife of why it would be desirable to live within a days drive of a cruise port when we retire. I would love to be able to take advantage of all those last minute cruise deals I read about here on CC.

This is what we are thinking too...how long is the drive?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Forums mobile app

It is a bout a 3 Hour Dr. from the Orlando airport to fort Lauderdale, 200 miles or so. Then from Fort Lauderdale to Miami it’s an additional 30 to 45 minutes depending on traffic.

One option would be to fly into Orlando two or three days before the cruise and drive halfway to the Miami metro area and stay somewhere along the Fla coast.

A good portion of the festivities are going to be held in downtown Miami all along Bayfront.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article197900654.html

Well then maybe the impact to cruises out of FLL won’t be as bad as Miami. I’m starting to think FLL maybe doable if most of the extra curricular activities are near S Miami area.

3-3.5 hrs. as stated above.

If hotel, rental cars, etc. are a concern you can also look into flying into and staying in Ft. Myers, airport code RSW, all major airlines fly there. Lots of hotels there and it’s closer than Orlando, only a +/- 2 hr. drive across Alligator Alley. Or as someone in a different thread asked about you can fly to Orlando, drive to the Ft. Pierce/Pt. St. Lucie area, stay there and cut the drive time on embarkation day. If the price of the cruise is low enough there are plenty of ways for out-of-towners to get here, it may take a little additional planning but it’s doable.

By that time, Brightline Orlando will be running and it will be a 90 minute ride to WPB, 130 minutes to FLL, and 160 to Miami.

Orlando will be a very viable option.