Would you book a cruise without a flight booked?

dltaeg

We are looking at a cruise round the Caribbean next year (May) either from Florida or Texas.

I've tried to get an idea on flights but can currently only book a flight to Orlando (from the UK). I ideally need to book the cruise soon as we need connecting rooms and I know these go quick but have no guarantee there will be any flights on the days we need them to anywhere other than Orlando.

Should I risk booking the cruise now or wait until the flights come out?

We are looking at a cruise round the Caribbean next year (May) either from Florida or Texas.

I've tried to get an idea on flights but can currently only book a flight to Orlando (from the UK). I ideally need to book the cruise soon as we need connecting rooms and I know these go quick but have no guarantee there will be any flights on the days we need them to anywhere other than Orlando.

I have just booked the Caribbean TA for next year...cruise only. Flights are unavailable at the moment as the cruise is over a year away, but we wanted to choose our cabin! Flights will be easy to come by at a later date

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We always book our cruises without knowing what flights will be. We usually book our cruises 12+ months in advance and flights are not available that far in advance. By booking the cruise early, you are guaranteed the best price and cabin selection is a lot greater. We won't book a non-refundable rate. If airfare is ridiculously high, we can cancel the cruise.

I always book my cruise before my flight since I always book about at least a year out. We're a family of 5 so we need 2 cabins or a family cabin. I can't chance waiting too long. I booked my November cruise back in September. SWA isn't releasing air for our dates until 5/31.

Plus the price has been going up since we booked. We're paying $4700, today it's over $5500.

That being said, we can drive if we have to. Last year airfare from NY to FL for President's week was over $700 pp so we drove.

Edited by dcgrumpy

Yes definitely book the cruise you want. You will have no problem getting flights. It might not be your local airport but there are daily flights out of Heathrow and Manchester.

Orlando is a tourist city (think Disney World). There will not be a shortage of flights there.

Even if you can't get a direct flight to ORL from the UK, then you will definitely get a connecting flight from a major city stateside.

Always book our cruise before booking a flight, as we book cruises way out, when see a good price. start looking at flights when become available . Unfortunately when flying from SD good flight prices few & far between.

Same here. Our next cruise was booked 607 days out. Way before any flights can be booked. Never had problems booking flights. We will probably always book refundable fare cruises, unless we find a super deal for a cruise that is only a few months or less away.

dp

Sure, why not?

As long as you have a refundable deposit (which is the norm on Royal Caribbean) worst case you cancel your cruise outside the 90-day window and you get your money back.

Actually, this is a big reason why Carnival couldn't get my business. One of their cruise agents kept calling with new deals but couldn't offer anything better than a non-refundable $50/pp deposit even though the cruise wouldn't be for another 18 months. Well, for five of us that's risking $250... bye Felicia!

Sure, why not?

As long as you have a refundable deposit (which is the norm on Royal Caribbean) worst case you cancel your cruise outside the 90-day window and you get your money back.

Actually, this is a big reason why Carnival couldn't get my business. One of their cruise agents kept calling with new deals but couldn't offer anything better than a non-refundable $50/pp deposit even though the cruise wouldn't be for another 18 months. Well, for five of us that's risking $250... bye Felicia!

The default on Royal Caribbean now is non-refundable, $100 penalty per person. You can get refundable (which we always do) but they are more expensive.

Still, I always get the cruise before the flights. $100 per person if doing non-refundable is way cheaper than the change/cancel fee an airline will charge if your plans change. Our cruise in August we booked last September and still haven't booked our flights, and our transatlantic in November we booked last March and just booked flights last week.

Book your cruise on the itinerary you want, flights generally become available 330 days out. Daily flights to USA from the UK so you shouldn't have a problem. Have a look at 2018 flights to get an idea of the routes.

The default on Royal Caribbean now is non-refundable, $100 penalty per person.

When did this go into effect? I admit I haven't been paying much attention since I booked my last cruise 16 months ago but that change stinks. Booooooooooooooooo!

When did this go into effect? I admit I haven't been paying much attention since I booked my last cruise 16 months ago but that change stinks. Booooooooooooooooo!

Last July. You get a cheaper fare and additional OBC if you book non-refundable, and some rooms (like suites) are only available as non-refundable.

I have never booked a cruise and airfare at the same time. I book the cruise so far in advance that flights aren't usually available.

I NEVER book airfare until all other arrangements are in place. The best prices are usually 45-60 days out....I start watching prices before that, but never book air that far out. They change, rearrange and cancel flights too often for that!!!

Another one here for booking cruises before flights are available.

We are also from the UK and have found flights to the US are only difficult and expensive going to Florida when the UK schools are on holiday.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am from the UK too and I have never waited to book a cruise until air fare is available eg In November I booked cruises out of Fort Lauderdale for April 2019 and September 2019. If direct flights are not available when I go to book the flights, I will just fly indirect. I will make it work.

Yes!!!! Booking that far in advance gets you the best prices on the cruise, and the most options for rooms.

You can get an idea for what airfare will cost by looking at prices for the current year.

If airfare seems way too high when the flights are finally released, you can cancel your cruise, or move it. This is part of why I would never book a non-refundable cruise fare, and always fly Southwest Airlines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes definitely book the cruise you want. You will have no problem getting flights. It might not be your local airport but there are daily flights out of Heathrow and Manchester.

Its not the flights to Orlando that are the problem, its the flights to Texas, Fort Lt and Miami :confused:

ALWAYS. I book the cruise I want and to get an idea of flight cost I look at the previous year to get an idea. Air2sea works for me because every flight I book is 'international' coming from Canada so 330 days out I would definitely consider looking at the Royal Air2sea program