Is Celebrity intentionally splitting up connecting cabins?

Canadian Cruiser98

We've been trying to book two connecting balcony cabins for our cruise on Celebrity Equinox in late June, but I've noticed an odd pattern with the booked cabins. When going to book a balcony or concierge cabin on Celebrity's website, across each deck, there are large swaths where exactly every second cabin is booked, while the others are available, forming a sort of checkered pattern.

Coincidentally, no two connecting staterooms are available to book. Now, I know that connecting staterooms typically sell out far ahead of time, but it struck me as odd that there are still plenty of single staterooms with connecting doors left, just no pairs, with these checkerboard patterns. Is it possible Celebrity is intentionally holding these cabins in reserve until there is more interest in the sailing? Or possibly they have sold every second cabin to a travel agency or something? Whatever the case, it seems like an odd strategy to split up the pairs of connecting staterooms, making them unavailable for those who want to book them...

balconies.JPG.16fdbe99d7099faeca8a21edfaca13a4.JPG

Two thoughts - it could be that either the bed by the bath or bed by the door is more popular, hence those sell first.

Some people might have a fantasy that the cruise won't be full, and booking a cabin in between 2 empties might mean they have no neighbors?

You're probably booking a bit late to get your desired cabins if you're talking June of this year. If you want something specific like that, it is always better to book early.

Typically I'd agree, but this year there were special circumstances - we had a cruise booked for the first week of March, but we missed it due to the nor'easter. This cruise for June was booked with the time-sensitive future cruise credit refund we got from the cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Canadian Cruiser98

I wonder if they are trying to fill the cabins that sleep only 2, before they allow a booking for two guests in a cabin that sleeps 3 or 4. Try doing a dummy booking for 4 guests in one cabin and see if those other cabins open up. Then call Celebrity and tell them you would like connecting cabins.

Edited by Marelaine
grammar

If you are trying to book two rooms that are both double occupancy that could be the problem. Rooms that can accommodate a 3rd/4th guest are intentionally held back for those needing them. As almost every other room holds a 3rd/4th guest that would explain what you are seeing.

If you need two triples, or a triple/quad then you may be completely out of luck due to the ship's design.

This is where calling Celebrity, or a knowledgeable travel agent, is beneficial. In general cruise line really are not set up for multi-cabin bookings.

I wonder if they are holding the cabins they are trying to fill the cabins that sleep only 2, before they allow a booking for two guests in a cabin that sleeps 3 or 4. Try doing a dummy booking for 4 guests in one cabin and see if those other cabins open up.

Thanks for the tip! Upon trying this, all the cabins which which were showing as unavailable are now available, and vice versa. Guess Celebrity's playing games...

Thanks for the tip! Upon trying this, all the cabins which which were showing as unavailable are now available, and vice versa. Guess Celebrity's playing games...

Just curious as to why you are calling it a game? Not showing cabin that holds 3 or 4 people when you are only booking for two seems logically.

If you call and explain your situation, I would think they will accommodate you.

A lot of balcony cabins still available for this cruise. Perhaps you can hold out for a great deal.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Edited by jagoffee

If you book a year in advance, the website shows all the available cabins in the category you select. So no problem booking adjoining cabins online. As the cruise gets closer, they may show only the cabins for 2 if you have indicated there are 2 people in your booking, leaving the cabins with the extra beds for families. It makes sense. But if you call, they won't try to dissuade you from booking adjoining cabins for your group. I like to do my research online and then call to make the actual booking. The Celebrity agents usually find a little deal here and there that I would have missed.

Enjoy your cruise.

I wouldn't call it a game either. You requested staterooms that hold 2 people. That's what came up. How is that a game? Why is it wrong for Celebrity to reserve cabins that hold 3 or 4 people for those who might need or want them?

After calling I was told there was nothing that can be done.

I misspoke calling this tactic a "game", but it still does seem unfortunate to me that Celebrity blocks off these cabins to smaller groups, breaking up all of the connecting cabins. I get the logic behind it, and that it maximizes profit for Celebrity and keeps availability open for families of 4 who may want to book one cabin instead of 2 (though with the current pricing, booking two cabins is cheaper). But, at this stage there is still tons of availability for 4-person occupancy cabins, and doing this right now seems to defeat the purpose of having the interconnecting doors in the first place.

another factor is that people don't want a cabin that has space taken by the extra beds . I hate the one that folds down from above so carefully book a cabin for 2

There is no logic to your answer, at least not on Celebrity. The bunk in the ceiling is totally flush with the ceiling when not used, and the couch looks the same in double and quad cabins. There are no 'extra beds' taking up space. EM

For information, we cannot name TAs but I have noticed the same pattern on scanning the German site i.e. alternate cabins not showing. However, if you type in a particular cabin number yo can find out if it is actually available or not. Most often, if a lot of alternate cabins are not shown as available, there is a good chance one can be booked, irrespective of the number of passengers.

another factor is that people don't want a cabin that has space taken by the extra beds . I hate the one that folds down from above so carefully book a cabin for 2

Sorry, I can’t get my head around your response either? There are no extra beds as the couch is in all the balcony cabins anyway and, as Essiesmom states above, the pull down is flush with the ceiling so nothing hanging out there. Are you thinking of another cruise line?

There is no logic to your answer, at least not on Celebrity. The bunk in the ceiling is totally flush with the ceiling when not used, and the couch looks the same in double and quad cabins. There are no 'extra beds' taking up space. EM

Sorry . We only sail Celebrity now .We had to duck our heads under an overhead bed on the Infinity. It was on my side of the bed and annoying for 2 whole weeks. I couldn't stand up straight

After calling I was told there was nothing that can be done.

I misspoke calling this tactic a "game", but it still does seem unfortunate to me that Celebrity blocks off these cabins to smaller groups, breaking up all of the connecting cabins. I get the logic behind it, and that it maximizes profit for Celebrity and keeps availability open for families of 4 who may want to book one cabin instead of 2 (though with the current pricing, booking two cabins is cheaper). But, at this stage there is still tons of availability for 4-person occupancy cabins, and doing this right now seems to defeat the purpose of having the interconnecting doors in the first place.

I am very surprised that Celebrity would not allow you to book connecting cabins for two parties of 2.

Did you actually identify two particular cabins that fit your needs and then call Celebrity to try and book it?

Did you tell them that you are not interested in booking unless you can get connecting cabins?

Or did you just call and discuss it in theory?

It might be worth another call after you have identified the exact cabins that meet your needs and are ready to book.

My friends and I have booked connecting cabins several times.

Or I wonder if you book the cabin in question for three people and then remove the third person in a couple of days.

Are you already booked as a GTY and trying to change cabins?

I am very surprised that Celebrity would not allow you to book connecting cabins for two parties of 2.

Did you actually identify two particular cabins that fit your needs and then call Celebrity to try and book it?

Did you tell them that you are not interested in booking unless you can get connecting cabins?

Or did you just call and discuss it in theory?

It might be worth another call after you have identified the exact cabins that meet your needs and are ready to book.

My friends and I have booked connecting cabins several times.

Or I wonder if you book the cabin in question for three people and then remove the third person in a couple of days.

Are you already booked as a GTY and trying to change cabins?

We are currently booked in 2 adjacent (non-connecting) balcony cabins, trying to move to 2 connectors, and I did give the agent on the phone 2 specific cabin numbers. In fact, I tried twice with two pairs of cabins, and both times was told that the system would not let the agent book the cabins for 2 people each.

We are currently booked in 2 adjacent (non-connecting) balcony cabins, trying to move to 2 connectors, and I did give the agent on the phone 2 specific cabin numbers. In fact, I tried twice with two pairs of cabins, and both times was told that the system would not let the agent book the cabins for 2 people each.

Ask to talk to a supervisor. We were able to have them override, or give the business to a TA. I bet you'll get results.

They are not playing games ...they are just showing the cabins that are available for the number of passengers they can accommodate. You can still call and get the cabins you want so no worries. Some cruiselines will not allow you to book a cabin that can accommodate 4 if there are only three of you, but with Celebrity, I've never had a problem. The only stipulation is that you need to call in your reservation, either through Celebrity or a travel agent vs being able to do it online.

As the cruise gets closer, they will show all as available.

We book on Silhouette two adjoining cabins with 2 people in each one. We had the room for 3 or 4 people. We decided to book the cruise before us for a b2b and our room for 3 or 4 was available so we stayed in the same room for 19 days. I heard we could possibly be bumped but we were not.