Could/Should Princess Merge with Holland? A Mega (30 Ship) Princess Cruise Line?

need2cruisesoon

I understand that both cruise lines are under the Carnival Corporation umbrella.

And I've never cruised HAL but from what I've read on these boards from others (and Pam in CA) that both lines are about 90% similar in many regards?

I don't understand the need for Carnival Corp to continue on with both cruiselines when one mega-cruiseline could cater to existing clientele.

Why not merge both under Princes, rename the ships (Ex:Princess New Amsterdam) and make Princess a super power in the cruise industry. Other industries have shown mergers to be successful (Virgin-Alaska Airlines, Amazon - Whole Foods..)

I would assume then that the economy of scale would lend to better cruise fares and increased value for the cruise passenger, yes? So the net result - better food, better on ship experience, more bang for your $$$, more itineraries.

I don't think they are that similar.

I would be afraid that if that happened, Princess would disappear and everything would go the way of how things are done on Holland America. As it is now, Princess already reports to the Holland America group. I have not been pleased with a lot of the decisions that have happened when this transition happened. It maybe due to other influences.....

Don’t think I ever said they were 90% similar. There are some similarities but quite a few differences. Some things Princess does better, some things HAL does better. There are some itineraries I think HAL does better, some Princess.

Don’t think I ever said they were 90% similar. There are some similarities but quite a few differences. Some things Princess does better, some things HAL does better. There are some itineraries I think HAL does better, some Princess.

Exactly, combine both for the best of the best!

After many HAL cruises, took one on Princess. Will NEVER set foot on one of their ships again!!

Doesn't that sound silly?

No neither will I. I hadn’t cruised on HAL since 2012; but in January spent one week on Princess and one week on HAL. The only redeeming feature is the spa. I found their food lacking, the decor shopworn and tacky, limited entertainment and limited food selection.

Please don't plant such ideas in the heads of corporate peeps. Compdtition is good ... look what happened with the airlines ... merger after merger left passengers with fewer choices and some pretty crappy customer service.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

For all business intents and purposes, I think they already are merged. Managerial positions in Seattle cover at least a few Princess departments in Santa Clarita. Certainly purchasing contacts have been combined for savings. I’m sure there are many more functions that have been integrated between the two companies.

From a marketing perspective, I would think the HAL Group wants the companies to remain separate. Customers perceive it as having more options to choose from (as has been proved by the differing opinions on this thread). It’s like P&G having more than one laundry detergent brand. What they really want is to fill more of the store shelves with their products, to provide the perception of more customer choice.

Really our cruise lines are just brand names, yes it does give greater power over price of inventory and less higher management.

But for the good of us pax's it would be better is Carnival Corp was three or four independent companies, meaning greater difference between lines and all going in their own directions. and going after each of there prospective markets,

Also it would stop all the ships moving to different brands, and keep the ships different , instead of all becoming the same, leaving us mid-tier cruisers less choice.

Just my thoughts of years working for global multi nationals, and privately own companies. ( and now retired thank heavens' )

Cheers Don

:D;)

That was a fast solution to your question. Read post # 3 from Coral :rolleyes:.

Now read post # 4 from Cruise Bruce :rolleyes:. I guess that’s that for the merger :o.

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

At least can we be certain that there will no mergers for the Rowboat?

I would assume then that the economy of scale would lend to better cruise fares and increased value for the cruise passenger, yes? So the net result - better food, better on ship experience, more bang for your $$$, more itineraries.

CCL Corp is already achieving economy of scale throughout its cruise brands by doing coordinated purchasing of common items and services.

For example, they now have common arrangements with airlines for flights for crew and entertainers. They also have co-ordinated printing contracts. There are several TV shows (mostly shown on Saturdays) that promote cruising on all of the brands.

But to think that any savings from economies of scale would be passed on to passengers in the form of better fares or better food or better anything is fantasy. The savings are going to the bottom line. (No different than what is happening with other major cruise conglomerates such as Royal Caribbean).

CCL Corp's announced strategy is "measured capacity growth" which means grow capacity slightly less than the growth in demand, thus supporting high pricing when demand exceeds supply.

When companies truly fully merge, they must pick which practices from each brand will be what is used going forward.

In general, history has shown that the worst (from a consumer viewpoint) practices and procedures from the combined companies are what are selected. Does anyone who flew on Continental Airlines believe that things improved when Continental merged with United?

If HA and Princess merged, which of the following, for example, do you think would be adopted:

a) Buffet open continuously from 6 am to 11 PM --or-- buffet closed between breakfast and lunch and between lunch and dinner.

b) OBC granted to military veterans --or-- no OBC for military veterans

Edited by caribill

:D;)

At least can we be certain that there will no mergers for the Rowboat?

Hi donswife,

I can’t say for sure. I was talking with the Captain of The Duck Boat and boy she is really good looking.

No i’m not talking about the duck boat. :D

Tony

I think it's a hideous idea to "merge" Princess and HAL. As for The Rowboat... I doubt there is a line currently in existence that could come up to the standards of The Rowboat. :halo:

I think it's a hideous idea to "merge" Princess and HAL. As for The Rowboat... I doubt there is a line currently in existence that could come up to the standards of The Rowboat. :halo:

My good friend Thrak,

Have you ever seen the Captain of The Duck Boat?? :D

Tony

When companies truly fully merge, they must pick which practices from each brand will be what is used going forward.

In general, history has shown that the worst (from a consumer viewpoint) practices and procedures from the combined companies are what are selected. Does anyone who flew on Continental Airlines believe that things improved when Continental merged with United?

If HA and Princess merged, which of the following, for example, do you think would be adopted:

a) Buffet open continuously from 6 am to 11 PM --or-- buffet closed between breakfast and lunch and between lunch and dinner.

b) OBC granted to military veterans --or-- no OBC for military veterans

Add to that

c) crew recruited from Indonesia -- or -- crew recruited worldwide by Princess, adding cultural diversity

d) crew required to put on crew show for passengers -- or -- professional entertainers put on shows

e) crew not allowed to interact with customers when not serving -- or -- crew encouraged to be friendly

To all my friends this is The Captain of The Rowboat from the bridge. There will be NO Merge between The Duck Boat and The Rowboat!!! Margie just woke up and read my last two post. :mad:All kidding aside I love Cruise Critic I’m having so much fun!!! :D To all my CC friends thank you for putting up with me.

Tony

Mammoth corporations that sell one size fits all is not always a great idea. Carnival Corp is selling fun and appealing to different market segments. For the young and young at heart looking for inexpensive cruises there is CCL while for the more mature having left behind their young carefree days there is Princess. HAL seems to appeal to an older segment that does not want large ships or a lot of physical activity. While there are crossovers where some pax sail both, there are those that want a different experience and sail on Princess. Personally we like Princess after having sailed one time on HAL but that was over a decade ago. We are now moving into their demographic.

Carnival has already organized their cruise lines into groups with the Holland America Group controlling both HAL and Princess (plus Seaborn and P&O). By doing this they have consolidated various support activities like contracting etc realizing some cost savings. Princess is now able to concentrate on their customer base and what they want in a ship and cruise. Both have built up a customer loyalty that Carnival would not want to destroy or attempt to modify. I don't expect any merger now or in the future.

We do most of our cruises on Princess and have gone on five HAL cruises since 2012 with three of these being trans-atlantics and one trans-pacific and one Caribbean.The decline of HAL has been dramatic over the last few years and we have decided that HAL is no longer an option for us.Just about everything we liked about HAL has been removed and everything we didn't like has stayed.I think they are in a death spiral because of their upper level management.I sincerely hope they don't have much influence over Princess.JMHO!

Whoa, not a good idea and why would one think they are very similar? Having read many of Pam's posts, not even close. I sail with Princess the most, because I sail single, I like the crew on their ships the best for their attitudes and friendliness.