Porters at Port Canaveral

Just got off the Oasis Sunday and had a great cruise. Until we hit Port Canaveral, we had a one hour wait in the baggage hall for customs. This was short compared to some of the waits I have had, but this was not caused by CBP. The CBP agents were processing the passengers as fast as they could and this being a spring break cruise I was expecting a wait, but not for the reason I encountered.

The porters were the ones causing the delays. The porters had taken over 2 of the 4 operating check points for themselves, they would then create very long lines for the remaining 2 by holding the departing pax in the ramp area and then would release hundreds all at once to collect their luggage. This would overwhelm the CBP check points and the lines would start to rap around the hall at which point the porters would stop the inflow and make there way around telling people that they would not have to wait in line if they used a porter. Then after a while when the line would get down to a manageable level and pax quit using the porters, they would then release the pax they had been stacking up and dump several hundred again all at once into the bag hall and start the process all over again.

This was the most blatant money grab by porters I have ever seen. Really put a damper on what had been a great cruise. If you have seen this at PC call RCCL, it’s the only it will improve.

DPR

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Normally I would agree with you about the CBP. In this case it was so blatant at to what was going on there is no mistaking what was happening and who was doing it. If the porters was not taken 50% of the CBP checkpoints for themselves and did a more measured stream of pax into the baggage hall the line would have been 15-20 min max. This was deliberate.

Disagree. It's not the "most blatant money grab by porters" as you say. They are doing/releasing as instructed. There is not enough CBP. This last yr I was here, Miami, Ft Lauderdale and Tampa, it's same at this port as others...

Normally I would agree with you about the CBP. In this case it was so blatant at to what was going on there is no mistaking what was happening and who was doing it. If the porters was not taken 50% of the CBP checkpoints for themselves and did a more measured stream of pax into the baggage hall the line would have been 15-20 min max. This was deliberate.

Having 4 CBP agents for 6500 passengers is what the problem is. I’ve seen 8 or more at FLL.

I was on Oasis 4 weeks ago and it was the same thing...4 agents.

This was the most blatant money grab by porters I have ever seen. Really put a damper on what had been a great cruise. If you have seen this at PC call RCCL, it’s the only it will improve.

DPR

What did they say when you called?

What do you want RCCL to do about it.

The porters are part of the long-shoresman union, no one tells those guys what to do, including CBP, as you witnessed

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bingo. Had an uncle many years ago who was a longshoreman in NYC - you didn’t mess with these guys.

As the last porter we had told us, "get a porter debarkation is shorter". Luggage pickup, customs, in the car and pulling out of the garage in less then 15 minutes. That's on our last Anthem cruise, we always get a porter. Best part was I didn't touch the luggage until we got home.

Got off a cruise several weeks ago in Ft. Lauderdale and it had changed. The porters could no longer get infront of others. They had to stand in line with everyone else. (y) I hope this continues because porters can be so rude and pushy.

We got off the Majesty of the Seas yesterday (04/09). Customs was the worst and slowest I have EVER experienced in 15+ cruises. We were in line over an hour. We complained to several people and were told that there was some new guy in charge of the Port that had changed things around. There were only 3 windows open processing everyone! And, yes, the porters did seem to get priority. Several people stressed the fact that this was not Royal Caribbean's fault, but rather the fault of Port Canaveral. I believe it. You could tell everybody was frustrated -- even the drivers of our off-site parking company (not employees of RCCL or the port!). Anyone affected by this DISASTER should please call the port and complain! We will seriously reconsider cruising out of Port Canaveral again if changes have not been made. Nobody should have to end their cruise this way. I plan to post on multiple boards, so don't be surprised if you see me ranting somewhere else, too.

We witnessed exactly the same thing last April.

We are from the UK and were a bit out of our comfort zone with it all and the shouting to get you to pay a porter and skip the que to get your passport checked.

What I couldn't work out is how they had the authority to commandeer your Homeland Security Officers checking passports (sorry if thats the wrong title).

But then again you know us Brits like queuing so we were good :D

I talked to a RCCL rep and they started a report for internal follow up, so if any things happens how knows. But if enough people complain then things will change. Also as for the porters in PC being longshoremen that is incorrect. I talked to the port management directly and they said they are part of a porters union. Everyone at the port uses them except Disney which uses a non union company.

I understand what you are saying, but I wouldn't think the porters themselves have control over which lines could be used, its hard for me to imagine CBP allowing someone else to manage their lines, that is usually some other port official, I've never seen more than 1 line out of however many are open given to the people that use the porters.

At least they were letting folks know they could get through faster if they used porters. The one time we got off in NYC when then had too little customs agents, I had no idea about the porters. That would’ve saved us an hour! Lesson learned, if the port is short agents that day, just get a porter.

I was happy to pay $20 and have them bypass the line and deliver our luggage right to our car. They do this at other ports but at other ports there are a lot more CBP agents working. I would blame the CBP for being understaffed.

This

I talked to a RCCL rep and they started a report for internal follow up, so if any things happens how knows. But if enough people complain then things will change. Also as for the porters in PC being longshoremen that is incorrect. I talked to the port management directly and they said they are part of a porters union. Everyone at the port uses them except Disney which uses a non union company.

Does being part of a porters union prevent them from being longshoremen? I wouldn't think those two things are mutually exclusive.

Why not? These people paid for this service.

Got off a cruise several weeks ago in Ft. Lauderdale and it had changed. The porters could no longer get infront of others. They had to stand in line with everyone else. (y) I hope this continues because porters can be so rude and pushy.

Why shouldn’t people be able to pay for this service and expect short lines and early off. People who want free can’t stand it when others willing to pay Pass them by.

Why shouldn’t people be able to pay for this service and expect short lines and early off. People who want free can’t stand it when others willing to pay Pass them by.

They are paying to have their baggage handled, not to get through Customs. The Customs lines and porter service should have no ties.