Planning my first family vacation

snoopyspearss

planning my first family vacation on a cruise for 2019. We are planning to go with a 4-year-old and a 1 yr old in sep. I feel like they wouldn't remember any of this due to their age. unfortunately, I'm so confused on what cruise to do, since most cruises wouldn't let a 1-year-old swim in the pool. but the kiddie area. I was thinking Disney but felt that was too expensive for babies who would forget easily.

I would say to plan your cruise vacation for what you and your spouse would like to see or do. Both kids are a bit young for the ports to make a lasting impression, IMHO. If you have a good time, they will have a good time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The kids may not remember, but it’s time that you’ll never forget and remember fondly. Yes, even when one of them has a melt down, you’ll be able to hold it against them 10 years from now. :')

I highly recommend asking grandma and grandpa to go along. Will give you an opportunity to get away from the kids and the kids will have some quality time with gram and gramps.

I agree with klfrodo just because the kids might not remember doesn't mean you can't make awesome memories. Wish we were able to vacation more when my kids were small. I know that doesn't help you choose but I would perhaps do a Caribbean itinerary since the ports would have plenty of beach choices for ya'll

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You didn't mention where you would like to cruise.

If it is the Caribbean, keep in mind that many ships still have not returned to the Caribbean in September.

Also, many ships do not accept kids into their clubs until age 3. So you will have the littlest one with you all the time. Some cruise lines do offer a baby sitting service -- for a fee -- to give you a couple of hours free time in the evening.

You are right -- neither of them will remember the cruise -- so take lots of pictures.

planning my first family vacation on a cruise for 2019. We are planning to go with a 4-year-old and a 1 yr old in sep. I feel like they wouldn't remember any of this due to their age. unfortunately, I'm so confused on what cruise to do, since most cruises wouldn't let a 1-year-old swim in the pool. but the kiddie area. I was thinking Disney but felt that was too expensive for babies who would forget easily.

Your best bet would be to look for a travel agency in your area that specializes in cruises. Ask friends or co-workers if they can recommend someone. If not, talk to more than one agency, until you find someone that you like. An experienced cruise agent will be able to match you up (as closely as possible) with what you want.

The question is, 'why do YOU want to go on this vacation?' What activities do you have in mind? Are those things suitable for children? Yes, beaches are easy to do with very young children, but do you want to spend what a cruise costs just to go to beaches? It appears your second child isn't even born yet...I would wait until after he/she is born, and you see what kind of child you have, temperament wise. EM

I agree with Essiemom....with small kids, you do what YOU want to do...and because you're a family, the kids will come along!

Kids in diapers aren't allowed in ANY ship pool...some ships do have "splash pads" for tots, but not all...so if that's important, choose the ship carefully! Same with nursery care....not all ships offer that!

I'm sure whatever you pick will turn out to be a fun vacation!

Kids may or may not remember at 4; if they do it won't be much. We took a 3 year old grandson--just turned 3--and he did remember a few things; we know they were memories because they were things never discussed and that we had forgotten until he said something. One was a memory in the hotel, where his prized pirate ship fell apart in the pool and some of the pieces were lost.

My younger son insisted we never took him to Disney World, only his older brother. I had to show him pictures to prove we had! He was six.

So, pick a cruise you want and enjoy the family time. Most cruise lines are just fine for kids of this age, who really don't need much. And a one year old really isn't going to care, he will just go along for the ride.

I agree with Essiemom....with small kids, you do what YOU want to do...and because you're a family, the kids will come along!

Kids in diapers aren't allowed in ANY ship pool...some ships do have "splash pads" for tots, but not all...so if that's important, choose the ship carefully! Same with nursery care....not all ships offer that!

I'm sure whatever you pick will turn out to be a fun vacation!

There are only 2 lines that have small splash areas for diapered kids, DCL and a handful of RCL ships. Some RCLmships have nurseries.

I would start on Carnival or Royal Carribean if I were you. You guys will have a great time and it will make some great memories.

I would absolutely hold off on Disney, at least for the time being. If you decide you like cruising, wait a few years. I would say when your youngest is at least 5 or 6. When your spending that much, you want them to remember it. 5 and 8 would remember more than 1 and 4.

Your first family vacation, and you want it to be a cruise?? Without knowing how the kids will react to being way from home and out of their normal routines? I would strongly recommend you reconsider the idea. Get at least a few short land vacations, even if they are only for a few days, under your belts before attempting your first cruise.

Then, and only then, book a cruise on one of the more family friendly cruises. Look at RCCL if Disney is too expensive. And budget for babysitting.

I am going with the minority on this one. 1 year old and a 4 year old you really should do a land vacation first. The 4 year old will remember things but the 1 year old wont. I feel that you should do so weekend trips in hotels once the 1 year old comes, so that both children can learn what it is like to be away from home. I work at a hotel and you would not believe how many children have major meltdowns at night because they are not at home in their own bed. Maybe do a land vacation somewhere in the US for a few years until your youngest is at least 3. If you have your heart set on a cruise...why don't you leave the kids at home with grammom and granpop and you and hubby go.