Diamond lounge, Don't be so cheap.

I should point out that Im not necessarily against ANY cruise line.

I just hate being forced to tip.

Now, this will REALLY annoy some of you but from today I will be insisting that all my auto grats are removed.

Tipping will revert to the old way of ackowledging excellent service.

If that means grats will rise to 20%, our American cousins will happily cover it.

I agree with you.

As for my policy on tipping, it is currently under review but most likely be under my terms and what I see as fair and reasonable.

OFF TOPIC ALERT

Just got off Symphony.

Got the Survey by email.

Not sure its new but there is now a question....

"Has anybody on the ship asked you to give them a high score?" (Something like that)

It then goes on to list MDR staff, Maitre'd etc

THANK YOU royal caribbean - hopefully that will put an end to the pleading sob stories on the last night of every cruise.

Yes those questions were asked last June after our Freedom cruise.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Will that work if I speak Italian to the attendant next time? The last time that I was in London some of the restrooms had turnstiles that you had to put money into. As if I walk around with British coins. There were also cameras pointed squarely at the entrance, I suppose, to catch people just ducking under or climbing over.
Its rare to find a public toilet.

I just pop into the nearest McDonald's.

I should point out that Im not necessarily against ANY cruise line.

I just hate being forced to tip.

Now, this will REALLY annoy some of you but from today I will be insisting that all my auto grats are removed.

Tipping will revert to the old way of ackowledging excellent service.

If that means grats will rise to 20%, our American cousins will happily cover it.

And people wonder why our American friends call Brits Tight.

When in the US i wear a lot of Polo RL shirts with United States etc on them.

As posted earlier, I am British by birth, but a US citizen. Many of your comments throughout this thread have been very sad and anti-American.

So you plan to remove gratuities and Americans will cover, we are the center of everything, etc. Perhaps you should stick to sailing purely British lines and MSC.

As previously pointed out, this thread is not about general gratuities, but about the CL and DL "free drinks".

Over the years have met wonderful people from all over the world in the lounges. Fortunately they don't have your attitude. Hopefully you will quit sailing on "American " lines and we won't need to put up with your comments.

Totally agree.

I am beginning to think that my previous impression of you was off the mark and that maybe the issue is that you went to comedy school and are just practicing with your posts, as they are a joke.
I agree,often Europeans judge us in the same way as he judged Americans.

I will go out on a limb again here - I think those complaining about the "English" issue on MSC are likely to be Americans - who expect staff to be "English Speakers".

Those of us in Europe are far more aware of accents and are more open to understanding them IMHO.

Its not a direct criticism of Americans; just that you guys think you're the centre of everything and everyone should adapt to suit you. ;p;p;p

Perhaps being the center of everything and everyone allows you to insult and generalize all Americans non-directly.

Thanks for agreeing with me, Graham and Pauline! Hope to sail with you some day. Still love the North of England - might be a yank, but a Yorkshire girl at heart. We seem to think alike as many of our posts are in agreement.

That would be lovely.

We live near to Durham but a lot of my working sales life has been in the Yorkshire area and there are a lot of nice genuine people here.

And I happen to very much like England.... but there does appear to be one Brit that I'd be better off not crossing paths with.;p

And people wonder why our American friends call Brits Tight.

When in the US i wear a lot of Polo RL shirts with United States etc on them.

And when I am in UK I drink tea and say Right O!!! or What is on the Telly tonight?

I don't think the topic of tipping in the Diamond Lounge should breed a war across the waters. Everybody take a deep breath now.....:D

And when I am in UK I drink tea and say Right O!!! or What is on the Telly tonight?

I don't think the topic of tipping in the Diamond Lounge should breed a war across the waters. Everybody take a deep breath now.....:D

Nor should it.

I prefer coffee.

We are talking about tipping in the DL and other people are trying to turn in into a them and us situation insinuating Americans tip and Brits don't.

We are English but after 30 visits to the US over the last 25 years we love America and their citizens and fully embrace the US tipping philosophy.

I used to tip a large sum of cash at the end of the week in the DL but now tip $1 a drink so around $10 a night so all the waiters get a daily share of our tips.

Nor should it.

I prefer coffee.

We are talking about tipping in the DL and other people are trying to turn in into a them and us situation insinuating Americans tip and Brits don't.

We are English but after 30 visits to the US over the last 25 years we love America and their citizens and fully embrace the US tipping philosophy.

I used to tip a large sum of cash at the end of the week in the DL but now tip $1 a drink so around $10 a night so all the waiters get a daily share of our tips.

Ten drinks a night in the DL? Wow

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My beer of choice! Actually have in the fridge right now!
It used to be brewed at the Newcastle brewery about 10 miles away from where we live but now is brewed in Holland and not as good.

I used to drink Newcastle Exhibition Ale which was available on draught only whereas Brown Ale is a darker colour and only available in Bottles.